U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2018, 09:13 AM

15 posts, read 7,757 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have recent experience with D11's North Middle School? We are considering it for our daughter, who is currently in 7th grade at an IB middle school.

I just read their most recent newsletter, which had the principal discussing attendance. He states that a common reason for students not attending school is feelings of being targeted by other students. He is trying to get families to engage so the school can help resolve these issues.

We are willing to take a closer look but comments like these make be want to more strongly consider Holmes. Any thoughts on how these two middle schools compare?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2018, 02:37 PM

5,017 posts, read 6,717,065 times
I go to both for some work related business each year and I just like the kids an the vibe better at Holmes. We always encounter a few more discipline problems at North and it just feels less organized, less excited-about-education, etc. North feeds primarily into Palmer and Holmes feeds primarily into Coronado - what high school she wants to go to might factor into your choice since she is likely to only be there for one year. Both are good high schools but you might prefer one over the other. Palmer has IB but Coronado has more opportunities for college credit, etc., in general and the high-performing students are part of the regular population rather than being isolated from it like they are in the IB program at Palmer.

Old 01-27-2018, 09:08 PM

Thanks for your input. We're visiting in February so we can at least get a feel. She is in an IB middle school program now, but would excel at Coronado as well I'd expect. We may go for Holmes/Coronado after all...we'll see.

Old 01-28-2018, 11:59 AM

2,685 posts, read 1,693,659 times
5 years ago Holmes was our first choice for middle school. If I had to chose now, I'm not so sure it would still be our top choice.

Last year Holmes began implementation of the Next Generation Learning model. This year they have implemented further attributes of the system and I think the final phase will be next year. On the surface, this program seems great as it strives to create a more personalized and engaged learning experience. In a smaller school with a lower student/teacher ratio, it is probably stellar. As its being implemented in Holmes, the results are leaving me somewhat unsatisfied.

With students in the GT program as well as mainstream programs, we have encountered teachers who do not communicate well when deviation in the program is executed by the students. We seem to get semi-regular calls from the school where teachers have marked my kids absent from a class when in reality, they were in their GT track instead. Another issue we have run into with some classes is that grades or citizenship scores are no longer a function of averages but rather can be severely diluted to be no higher than the lowest score in any segment of a learning module. That means a single assignment that is not too great can drag down an entire quarters worth of high performing work. So far teachers have been somewhat flexible in allowing do-overs of any such issue to prevent the dilution, but that may change with final implementation. They also have migrated from a five point A-F scoring range to a 4 point 1-4 range of demonstrated competency in both academics and citizenship.

This is not a wholesale D11 roll out. It is in selected schools throughout the district. Holmes and Sabin are the middle school models, Doherty is the high school model. There are numerous elementary schools as well, but your students won't be in that mix. I'd certainly recommend you go here; https://www.d11.org/NextGen and check out the philosophy and dig through other information, and certainly call and talk to both Holmes, Sabin and maybe even Doherty, even if you don't plan on attending Sabin or Doherty, just to get a feel for subtleties of the programs and to see when you can arrange a tour to witness it firsthand. Coronado does not participate in this program. Since my youngest will be transferring from Holmes to Coronado next year, we'll see how well the transition goes. Since they did have a more traditional couple of years in Holmes, it should not be too bad. I can't help but think that after some students spend all three years in that environment than transfer into the more traditional learning environment, I think there will be some student fall-out.

North, West, and Mann are not part of the Next Gen model.

FWIW, my oldest son did attend North for a year in the early 2000s. He brought more educational and discipline issues to the mix than my other kids and he certainly did not do well there as trouble was easily and frequently found. In his case, he transferred to a private parochial school through high school and it was the best thing we did for him. He was certainly not a good mainstream candidate. But, that was over 15 years ago. I'd certainly hope the IB programs there have gained traction in that period of time.

Old 01-28-2018, 12:17 PM

5,017 posts, read 6,717,065 times
Yeah I'm not a fan of the Next Gen model either. In spite of it, I still think I'd put my kid in Holmes over North - I just really don't like the whole vibe at North - but of course what is best for one kid may be different than another. And I'd rather my kid go to Coronado over Palmer or Doherty, too - so transitioning from Holmes still makes sense. My favorite D11 middle school right now is probably actually Russell.

Old 01-29-2018, 10:33 AM

843 posts, read 1,254,173 times
My daughter went to North for 6th and half of 7th grade. I took her out and put her in a different school. She was in "Double Advanced Honors" and when she was moved to the other school she struggled as the teachers were not teaching at an honors level that was required at her new school. We were *not pleased at all* with North.

This was about two years ago. I personally would not recommend it- even with the IB program. I have taught MYP and DP and did not see a substantial emphasis on the IB program at North. If you are looking at IB, Horizon MS in Falcon 49 and Mountain Ridge Middle School are better options. Rampart (D20) is a great DP school. There are other options for IB if you have your heart set on IB.

Old 01-29-2018, 03:16 PM

2,685 posts, read 1,693,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
Yeah I'm not a fan of the Next Gen model either. In spite of it, I still think I'd put my kid in Holmes over North - I just really don't like the whole vibe at North - but of course what is best for one kid may be different than another. And I'd rather my kid go to Coronado over Palmer or Doherty, too - so transitioning from Holmes still makes sense. My favorite D11 middle school right now is probably actually Russell.

Absolutely agree, that is a part of the reason why we decided against North and permit into Holmes. Russell is good, as is Jenkins, but those might be a bit of a commute from the Shooks Run area. Mann and Galileo are more traditional structured schools still nearby Shooks Run, actually closer than or equi-distance as Holmes, that could also be considered. My kids attended grades at Audubon and Taylor, which feed into Mann and Galileo, so I know there are some great kids at both of them. My cousin, who was a teacher with D11, sent her kids to Mann and Palmer with great results. So yes, student fit within the school and its culture is a big part of the equation.

leiluna , also be advised that all junior highs but North will require an in district permit, so deciding sooner and getting that request in before the end of the school year would be a good thing.

Holmes is still a very decent school with some great staff, music, arts, foreign language, stem, and very active sport teams. I'm just not real happy with the Next Gen transition its going through now and see that in some of the teaching staff.

Old 02-02-2018, 05:33 PM

This is all great input, thank you. We will check Holmes out as it seems our best bet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or