U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2018, 03:57 AM

4,320 posts, read 4,350,986 times

Advertisements

The clip discusses a cockroach and bed bug infested apartment building in Colorado Springs.

We're only supposed to be paying like $860 but they tack on all these extra fees so we pay over $1,200 a month for a place that's infested with all kinds of things.

Tenants describe almost unlivable conditions at Colorado Springs apartments - KRDO

The obvious solution is to move, but many tenants get trapped because moving may involve breaking a lease and qualifying for a new rental that might have higher requirements wrt income or credit scores.

It seems to me that the city should have some kind of authority to force the apartment management company to fix the problems.

Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2018, 07:59 AM

79 posts, read 41,560 times
Okay, forgive my ignorance, but are there seriously roach infestations in CO??? I'd thought those creepy things weren't a problem out there, which is something I'd found very desirable, coming from the cockroach capital of the nation.

In regards to the mentioned situation, they're bound by the terms of their written lease. So if final lease price is $860-something, then it seems to me they're not obligated by law to pay extra fees each month (unless it's for utilities, which lease would state tenant is responsible for).

Also, if lease doesn't state anything about management maintaining pest control and / or certain conditions, they not legally have to. But if enough residents raise a stink and bring widespread attention to the problem, I imagine the management would do something about it rather than let their reputation take a dive.

Old 01-31-2018, 08:41 AM

608 posts, read 319,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless in Florida View Post
Okay, forgive my ignorance, but are there seriously roach infestations in CO??? I'd thought those creepy things weren't a problem out there, which is something I'd found very desirable, coming from the cockroach capital of the nation.

In regards to the mentioned situation, they're bound by the terms of their written lease. So if final lease price is $860-something, then it seems to me they're not obligated by law to pay extra fees each month (unless it's for utilities, which lease would state tenant is responsible for).

Also, if lease doesn't state anything about management maintaining pest control and / or certain conditions, they not legally have to. But if enough residents raise a stink and bring widespread attention to the problem, I imagine the management would do something about it rather than let their reputation take a dive.
There are, many times very rundown apartments and older homes. When I worked with electronics, we'd every so often pull one open to find dead roached inside.

I think they are rare though.

Hopefully they do something, it sounds terrible.

Old 01-31-2018, 08:51 AM

2,668 posts, read 1,666,689 times
Infestations are certainly a subjective term, since, as you point out, we typically don't have a lot of problems with them. We do have a lot of people here. Some people tend to be less clean than others and one of the drawbacks of older apartments is that not all the previous tenants may have been clean and they could have lived a lifestyle that invites these pests to multiple and create an infestation. Is a Colorado infestation like a Florida infestation, probably not. What I have seen on the news as videos of the infestation would have been only slightly higher than normal activity from what I experienced when I lived back east. for here though, it does seem like a lot.

There is some leverage for the city to push property owners to mitigate significant health problems, but in all honesty, we can't put enough police on the street to reduce crime, where do you think property violations will fall in the spectrum?

Old 01-31-2018, 12:03 PM

1,245 posts, read 1,631,290 times
Lots of cockroaches and other insects where we moved from so very surprised to hear they are here too. They do like filth and clutter so hard to get rid of when there are tenants who are less than tidy. They also love cardboard boxes which there are probably a lot of with people moving in and out from warmer places.

Old 01-31-2018, 04:23 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,350,986 times
Many years ago, when I worked summers moving furniture, we opened a storage container with furniture packed in Hong Kong. It was a military move.

About 10,000 cockroaches scurried out.

They are world travellers.

Old 02-01-2018, 06:15 AM

5,003 posts, read 6,681,120 times
My dad worked as an electrician for many, many years. He'd occasionally come across a cockroach-infested place here, but it is indeed rare here.

Old 02-01-2018, 12:45 PM

152 posts, read 213,863 times
There is a simple and very inexpensive solution to all sorts of bug problems...Diatomaceous Earth

Diatomaceous Earth (often referred to as "DE") is a white talc-like powder, made from fossilized remains of marine phytoplankton. When bugs that have exoskeletons (bed bugs, ants, fleas, ticks and roaches) encounter this powder, it compromises their body joints so that their innards turn into mush. Basically, they bleed to death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs