U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 01:00 AM

4 posts, read 3,581 times

Advertisements

Curious what thoughts everyone has on Monument, Colorado. Good place to raise a family? What are the pros/cons? How are the schools? Any areas to stay away from? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2018, 05:42 AM

4,319 posts, read 4,348,520 times
I've known several people who live near Monument. They all had positive things to say about the area. I looked at a few houses near there but I preferred to not be so close the the railroad. The coal trains rumble through there at all hours and that would bother me.

Old 02-04-2018, 07:35 AM

1,454 posts, read 2,079,841 times
There area lot of posts about Monument in the Colorado Springs forum - this should probably be moved there.

I believe the trains are more of an issue if you live west of I-25.

Old 02-04-2018, 08:16 AM

6,150 posts, read 9,436,212 times
I like Monument, and I'd even consider living there - if I didn't work in Denver. I say that hoping it's not the OP's intent. Monument to the Springs is doable. Monument to Denver is a terrible commute.

FWIW, OP, I hope you like snow. Monument get about 100" of it in an average winter.

Old 02-04-2018, 10:38 AM

20,301 posts, read 37,784,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beezle1 View Post
There area lot of posts about Monument in the Colorado Springs forum - this should probably be moved there.

I believe the trains are more of an issue if you live west of I-25.
Moved this thread to the COLO SPGS forum where the OP may find a lot of Monument info by using our search tool.

IMO stay at least a full mile from both I-25 and the railroad to reduce the noise impacts.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-05-2018, 08:21 AM

1,207 posts, read 4,136,552 times
We moved to Monument from San Diego in 2004 and moved to Phoenix in 2015. We lived in Woodmoor, which is located on the northeast side of Monument. It's one of the highest areas along the Front Range, so you will normally see more snow. If interested in Monument, I would highly recommend driving around Woodmoor to check it out. When we first started looking in COS, most neighborhoods were nice but did not feel like our idea of Colorado living. Woodmoor is hilly and covered with pine trees. The trains run on the west side of I-25, so the noise was not an issue for us.
The schools are highly rated, but struggle with funding. I think D-20 has a much larger tax base due to the many businesses that have settled there. Generally, both districts are excellent.
Like Mike said, there is a bunch of info here about Monument and Woodmoor. Good Luck with your search.

Old 02-06-2018, 10:09 PM

90 posts, read 100,314 times
I live on the West Side of Monument and the trains don’t my bother me at all. D38 is great but growing really quickly and they are working on alternatives for middle schools and elementary schools. The teachers are so great here. I have been impressed with every aspect of living here. It’s small, yet close to everything. Lots of festivals, parks, family friendly atmosphere. My husband commutes to Centennial for 2 years and it was 35 minutes. Forest Meadows is a new subdivision that is built around a “lake.” It is further from their trains and the busier feel of Jackson Creek. I would look into water issues with Woodmore and Jackson Creek before I purchased there. We have had zero issues with Monument water.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 02-07-2018 at 09:36 AM.. Reason: Fixed a type.

Old 02-12-2018, 02:56 PM

235 posts, read 216,458 times
Monument gets the snow, in a normal year anyway, but more importantly it is always windy!

Shopping is plentiful with the expansion along Jackson Creek the past 10 years.

Monument Academy is a first rate charter school.

Restaurants are fairly good and getting better, but with the Bass Pro driven retail growth at North Gate Blvd. there are lot more options within 10-15 minutes drive.

Old 02-12-2018, 04:12 PM

645 posts, read 340,114 times
Do people move to Monument to get more snow days off ?

Old 02-12-2018, 04:47 PM

324 posts, read 250,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicarae1060 View Post
My husband commutes to Centennial for 2 years and it was 35 minutes.
It WAS 35 minutes. When was that? I've been out here for 5 1/2 years and traffic has just gotten worse and worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or