U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 05:48 AM

4,319 posts, read 4,348,520 times

Advertisements

Just turn on the TV news and you'll soon see copious advertisements for ambulance chasing lawyers.

The Gazette ran a story on that topic:

Lawyers' ads, like those from Frank Azar, promising big payoffs present dilemma for consumers | Colorado Springs Gazette, News

"Critics say the lack of scrutiny comes with a cost - leaving some former plaintiffs to complain they were lured by promises of fast cash into signing up with a big-name advertiser, only to be persuaded to settle their claims for small amounts.

Even if money for pain and suffering is left on the table, lawyers can still end up a winner, usually receiving 30 percent of each settlement without having to invest time or resources in litigation, said Colorado Springs attorney Sarah Christensen, who said such practices go hand-in-hand with attorneys who invest in boastful advertising.

"Their business model appears to be getting rich off volume rather than delivering the highest quality of representation," she said.

The clients, who have little insight into how negotiations work between plaintiffs' attorneys and insurance defense attorneys, may not even realize they're losing out, she said. "They're not coerced. They just don't know any better.""

Prior to 2003, Colorado was a "no-fault" State, but changed the law in order to help reduce the cost of insurance premiums and help prevent claims abuses. Colorado car insurance now operates as a tort system, meaning that fault must be established before an insurance company will pay a claim.

The change to a tort system was promoted by lawyers for lawyers. It gave them this business.

It has become a lottery for accident victims. What they may not realize is that substantial claims results only from life long disabilities that are the result of that at fault claim. Furthermore, many insurance policies have modest liability limits so those million dollar payouts are few.

What experiences do you have with this system?

I have one friend who was hit and injured with spinal fractures. He had to hire a lawyer and the case took several years to settle. In the end, he received a modest settlement because the other party had just minimum medical liability limits ($50K per accident) on his policy and no other assets.

Do you think Colorado should return to being a no fault state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 10:35 AM

75 posts, read 57,170 times
It's amazing the frequency with which I see these PI Lawyer commercials on TV. They must be spending a ton of $, which tells me they are churning and burning through cases to make a ton of $.

Old 02-08-2018, 12:52 PM

9,734 posts, read 6,265,376 times
I have a very good friend who is a lawyer. He's awesome! And he mentioned in fleeting conversation, someone came to him with a case he didn't want to take, due to the type of case it was and his current workload, so he referred them to McDivitt, which is another firm that advertises quite a bit on TV. Upon hearing this (and knowing nothing really about lawyers or their reputations) I said, "Or THE STRONGARM huh? That guy's commercials just never freakin' stop." He made a disgusted face and told me that no, he would never send ANYONE to Frank Azar. That guy makes outrageous promises and gets people's hopes up and then takes most of their settlements, and he doesn't think the people on the commercials are anything but actors. People aren't winning big bucks like the commercials make you believe. The was thoroughly contemptuous of the guy.

My friend knows more about all of this than I do, and probably more than someone who has only ever experienced one case (their own) seeing as how he works in the field and sees thousands of cases open and close, so...I believe him.

Old 02-09-2018, 09:08 AM

808 posts, read 1,175,440 times
Like all the big-pharma commercials, what they are doing is not technically illegal, however distasteful it may be. We live in a society that, for better or worse, is reasonably money/wealth driven AND in which we all have the freedom to decide what we're willing to do to get filthy rich. Given the millions and millions of people making individual decisions, tens of thousands of whom have law degrees, it is sadly inevitable that a small number of lawyers (and big-pharma companies) will blanket the airwaves and city buses with their name and face. If it wasn't the Strong Arm and those other groups it'd be someone else. The drive to get rich at whatever the cost is just too strong. The fact it's legal makes it inevitable. I hate to say "just accept it" but I'm not sure what other reasonable approach exists. Letting it bother you is like letting the fact that politicians are owned and operated by their biggest donors bother you. Or letting the fact that high-profile televangelists end up being frauds bother you. Or letting the fact that 80% of the population now stares at their cell phones while driving or crossing the street bother you. It's all gross, yes, but it is what it is. Just part of the sad chatter and noise of modern life.

Old 02-10-2018, 01:27 PM

96 posts, read 89,089 times
Frank Azar, The LargeNeck?

Old 02-10-2018, 04:08 PM

152 posts, read 213,821 times
I haven't watched live TV in years...record everything, just so I can fast-forward through the endless commercials.

Old 02-10-2018, 04:39 PM

20,304 posts, read 37,784,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoYoSpin View Post
I haven't watched live TV in years...record everything, just so I can fast-forward through the endless commercials.
Ditto. Plan on 3 full minutes of commercials for most breaks, some shows we even see 4 minutes or more.

I can watch a full NFL game in about 90 minutes as I fast forward through all commercials, dead time as they walk back to the huddle, the timeouts, the injury timeouts and especially the gawd-awful halftime "shows" where 5 talking heads each get about 1 minute of time to speed talk unintelligibly about this or other games with video clips that are rapid-sequenced at such a machine-gun speed it gives me vertigo trying to watch.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-10-2018, 04:43 PM

1,245 posts, read 1,630,873 times
I think all the pervasive TV lawyer ads make it seem as if the populace here is dim-witted.

Old 02-10-2018, 04:45 PM

3,786 posts, read 1,464,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
I think all the pervasive TV lawyer ads make it seem as if the populace here is dim-witted.
I just got 294K thanks to my lawyer and injury claim!! I'll never have to work another day in ma life!

Old 02-10-2018, 07:53 PM

646 posts, read 340,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
It has nothing to do with COS. Itís the same everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or