U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 05:10 AM

4,332 posts, read 4,361,923 times

Advertisements

You would like a large house in a half acre lot in the city for about $460K

I have one of those, although I'm not sure about its actual market value; it could be more or less. Several of my friends also have houses like that. We're retired or about to be retired and we bought those places about 25 years ago when we too had several children and two dogs and needed the room to protect our sanity.

But we ain't movin'

Why? Because we've gotten used to having a place with a lot of separation between houses and newer homes are mostly built on postage stamp "trailer" lots [Narrow and deep] with minimum spacing between houses, usually about 10 feet. Just go view the houses in "The Farm" to see what I mean.

Sure, the place is too big for empty nesters but so what. We're updating the interior as we go. It's also nice to have a place big enough to accomodate our kids and our grand kids and their nanny all together. We worked and paid for many years so now is the time to enjoy and relax.

Furthermore, moving to a smaller place would force us to deal with getting rid of a lifetime of accumulated stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2018, 06:25 AM

19 posts, read 44,438 times
We live in the Falcon area just east of COS, east on Woodman and north on Meridian. We have a 1/2 acre lot and many homes out this way have the same. Specifically, we're in Paint Brush Hills subdivision.

Old 02-17-2018, 08:31 PM

583 posts, read 1,301,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeletti View Post
We live in the Falcon area just east of COS, east on Woodman and north on Meridian. We have a 1/2 acre lot and many homes out this way have the same. Specifically, we're in Paint Brush Hills subdivision.
I know a lot of people like it out there, but not me. Just too flat, very few trees, lots of wind and mostly houses out there. And Woodmen is about the only way into town...

Old 02-22-2018, 02:45 PM

99 posts, read 95,807 times
Thank you, I am not opposed to living outside of the Springs...we will keep looking...we want to have chickens and maybe a goat or two...

Old 02-22-2018, 04:10 PM

2,670 posts, read 1,674,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crtyrdjester View Post
Thank you, I am not opposed to living outside of the Springs...we will keep looking...we want to have chickens and maybe a goat or two...

You will have to look outside the city. Zoning codes within the city will allow up to four goats, if your lot is a minimum of 37,000 sq ft (.8 of an acre) and equiped with proper sheds/ barns with legal set backs from property lines. So the half acre your looking for will not be enough to have goats in the city, even if you found one with your housing and price requirements.

Chickens on the other hand, and no big deal for up to ten of them, so long as you have no roosters.

http://www.springsgov.com/units/plan...AB/DAB_401.pdf

Old 02-26-2018, 09:35 AM

569 posts, read 1,233,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt007 View Post
I know a lot of people like it out there, but not me. Just too flat, very few trees, lots of wind and mostly houses out there. And Woodmen is about the only way into town...
I live on antler creek golf course---have a wonderful view---the land is not entirely flat and some areas are but I am on a hill and they are building around the area so that blocks the wind. We have trees but not a ton. That is okay with me as I lived in the Seattle area in Wa and the trees were a nightmare--pine needles and leaves everywhere and when their were high winds, branches or trees themselves falling on homes and lots of power outages. Their are plenty of different ways into town besides Woodman. The thing I love the most is that I see the most beautiful sunrise and sunsets--the stars and the moon is amazing--pikes peak is wonderful and I love the wild life I see every day. They are also building more and more places to shop and eat etc. I am also only 15 minutes from the hospital and their is a fire station about three blocks away from me. Their are two rec centers a few blocks a way. Their are parks and trails close by. I feel we have the best of all worlds but that is just my opinion and their are areas around us that have way more land than I do but I have downsize and at one time I had 25 acres and that is alot of work.

Old 02-28-2018, 07:32 PM

656 posts, read 342,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vnodak View Post
I live on antler creek golf course---have a wonderful view---the land is not entirely flat and some areas are but I am on a hill and they are building around the area so that blocks the wind. We have trees but not a ton. That is okay with me as I lived in the Seattle area in Wa and the trees were a nightmare--pine needles and leaves everywhere and when their were high winds, branches or trees themselves falling on homes and lots of power outages. Their are plenty of different ways into town besides Woodman. The thing I love the most is that I see the most beautiful sunrise and sunsets--the stars and the moon is amazing--pikes peak is wonderful and I love the wild life I see every day. They are also building more and more places to shop and eat etc. I am also only 15 minutes from the hospital and their is a fire station about three blocks away from me. Their are two rec centers a few blocks a way. Their are parks and trails close by. I feel we have the best of all worlds but that is just my opinion and their are areas around us that have way more land than I do but I have downsize and at one time I had 25 acres and that is alot of work.
Sounds like you have a nice place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or