U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2018, 08:28 AM

608 posts, read 319,980 times

Advertisements

I second TCHP - initially we bought a house in Springs Ranch and it reminded us a lot of Highlands Ranch with a more Texas-y vibe. It was very quiet and safe, from what I could tell the schools were pretty middle ground. The neighbors were mostly very friendly - an older couple would sit out on the porch and yell, "Welcome to Colorado," every time we walked by.

Just quickly I'd avoid anything near the Citadel, Nevada, and most of the Central and SE (ironically, we moved to a new development here, which is very quiet and fine, but it wasn't my first choice, but the location otherwise is ideal for getting places quickly along HWY 24 or i25...close to downtown, mountains, stuff to do, etc.)

I would say that even the places that are the most undesirable, probably aren't as scary or uncomfortable as E. Colfax, Federal Blvd. and parts of Aurora (all of which we've lived in at some point and personally I do't even like to visit friends or offices there)

I would come drive around the city for a day and time your drives to the airport from different areas based on where you can afford a home, maybe take two days, and then start looking for rentals. You can easily drive around the entire city and explore in a quick day trip.

One thing to be aware of, is we don't have traditional recreation centers managed by the city here, they are contracted to YMCA and nothing like what we were used to pretty much everywhere in Denver. People here really like VillaSport or other private clubs for swimming and working out. YMCA is expensive, as our the other clubs.

But, Security and Widefield (I think) have their own system of libraries and recreation - also preschool if you ever have kids. We have three friends who live in a newer area near the airport and they love using all of this stuff - I'm very jealous! They have mentioned that they don't like visiting some of the stores and some of the people are, "rough," but I wiouldn't immediately discount any area based on name or zipcode alone until you look at it, especially if it is closer to your job or things you might be interested in, and that's sort of a low budget for a SFH in the, "best," areas.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2018, 10:36 AM

841 posts, read 1,249,072 times
Yes, avoid Nevada. Tis a bad place, especially the houses that are worth 500K+.

Old 02-22-2018, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyt00 View Post
Yes, avoid Nevada. Tis a bad place, especially the houses that are worth 500K+.
That's a tiny little part.

2017 Homicide Map discussed in this thread: 2017 El Paso County homicide victims map

I doubt with a $1600 budget that's where the OP is going either.

Old 03-01-2018, 09:37 AM

841 posts, read 1,249,072 times
Yes, certainly. It's my knee jerk reaction. I live on Nevada and I'm happy to live there. If people paint too broad of a picture, it's easier just to say "avoid Colorado Springs."

Old 03-01-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyt00 View Post
Yes, certainly. It's my knee jerk reaction. I live on Nevada and I'm happy to live there. If people paint too broad of a picture, it's easier just to say "avoid Colorado Springs."
Next time I'll refer to which part. I know there are some million dollar homes nearby too. I

We live really close to the SE in 80910, and while most of it probably wouldn't be my first choice, our particular neighborhood is quite nice and quiet.

There's a lot of areas here that seem to go either way pretty quickly, and nearby one another.

Old 03-02-2018, 07:38 AM

2,668 posts, read 1,668,301 times
Yes, unlike many northern arterial streets in the city, Nevada Ave does run through a variety of different socio-economic neighborhoods. As the business loop of US87, it has had its ups and down which include everything from the downtown business district to old 1950s era motels at the south and north ends transitioning to its seedy later 20th century past with dive bars, biker hangouts, and rent by the hour motels (anyone recall the Bank Shot, Starr Bar and Pink Panther?) to million dollar Victorian mansions, Penrose Hospital, and to its current revival with new retail outlets, UCCS expansion, high end medical centers, the Ent Center for Performing Arts, and a central debating point for traffic calming efforts in the residential areas.

Yup, Nevada Avenue has seen it all.

I still think for the OP, something out off the Powers or Marksheffel corridors would best match up with their desires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or