U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2018, 08:38 PM

12 posts, read 31,391 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are moving to COS from Denver somtime next year. We're doing some preliminary research of places to live. Any suggestions? Low crime rate. Decent schools. We plan on renting for the first year or so. Preferably near the airport but flexible.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2018, 08:42 PM

5,005 posts, read 6,681,120 times
Falcon/Northeast side of the city sounds up your alley.

Old 02-18-2018, 11:04 PM

575 posts, read 669,214 times
Not sure what your budget or the type of neighborhood you like but you might research the south west part of town within school district 12, that would meet low crime and good schools criteria. The drive to the airport is pretty easy. Really most parts of town are low crime with the exception of a few south east neighborhoods. The area very close to the airport is so so.

Old 02-19-2018, 05:30 AM

4,329 posts, read 4,350,986 times
I would not recommend neighborhoods near the airport. The crime follows income levels and many of those areas have low income/high crime. If you do a search on these forums you'll find crime density maps.

If I were you, I'd likely choose either North, e.g. Woodman and Powers areas or perhaps Fountain. Renting for a year is an excellent idea. you'll learn a lot living here for a year.

Old 02-19-2018, 08:31 AM

608 posts, read 319,980 times
Hello from a fellow ex-Denverite.

We moved here last year and looked pretty much everywhere. It really depends on what you like, your budget, interests, etc.

What is your budget to rent and buy?

Are good school 5+, 6+, or 8+?

Old 02-19-2018, 08:35 AM

2,668 posts, read 1,668,301 times
What constitutes best for you aside from low crime, good schools and airport access? Walkability, architecture, landscaping, activities, housing age, or any other of a number of factors that should be considered?

Old 02-19-2018, 01:14 PM

12 posts, read 31,391 times
To answer questions: we're looking at around $1600/ month for rent. Close to basic amenities, (grocery stores, etc). No kids so distance from schools isn't too much an issue. Reasonably close to downtown or other forms of entertainment. And for those wondering, I will be working at the airport so a reasonable commute, but again, not a deal breaker.

Last edited by atc_av8er; 02-19-2018 at 01:25 PM..

Old 02-19-2018, 01:25 PM

5,005 posts, read 6,681,120 times
I think the Springs, although not small per se, is small enough that almost anywhere you live in the area would be fairly close to the airport, downtown, entertainment, amenities, etc. And your rent budget leaves pretty much the entire city open to you at least with a few options. There are crime maps available online but I'd advise that you look at both Colorado Springs maps and El Paso County maps - sometimes you can get a mistaken impression if you do not realize that some area is county and not be included in a particular data set or vice versa.

Old 02-19-2018, 11:00 PM

924 posts, read 1,030,894 times
I live in Manitou Springs and the airport is only a 20-minute drive. As Otowi suggests, pretty much anywhere you land, you'll be close to all amenities, because despite our growth, it's still pretty small here, especially compared to Denver.

Since you are in Denver, coming down here to check out various areas/neighborhoods might help you decide what parts of the city will be appealing to you.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:14 AM

2,668 posts, read 1,668,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atc_av8er View Post
To answer questions: we're looking at around $1600/ month for rent. Close to basic amenities, (grocery stores, etc). No kids so distance from schools isn't too much an issue. Reasonably close to downtown or other forms of entertainment. And for those wondering, I will be working at the airport so a reasonable commute, but again, not a deal breaker.

That is still a pretty short list with nothing that really sticks out as defining a specific area, IMO.

As others have said, 20-30 minute drive to the airport is not hard to find in most places in Cos. But, for the simplest ease of access, even during bad weather days and using your very short list, you may want to look at places along the Powers Blvd corridor from Woodman down to Mesa Ridge Parkway. This is a very long path the covers the entire eastern edge of the city. There are many new developments at the far south and north ends of this stretch such as around the Mesa Ridge, Springs Ranch, and Stetson Hills areas. There are a few older areas you want to be a bit more cautious around such as Cimmaron Hills, Eastborough, and Deerfield Hills. While not as historic nor as well established as the downtown area, this corridor has become a major economic beltway of the town with access to groceries, recreation, restaurants, breweries, etc. although there is considerably more of this on the north end of the corridor compared to the south ends, but the south ends of Powers is in smaller incorporated areas that may feel more town like and homey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or