U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 11:55 AM

20,308 posts, read 37,797,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLoriginal'71 View Post
Is Banning Lewis Ranch someplace we should avoid in your opinion? From what I could gather is that it is an older neighborhood that is now expanding and adding on new build homes. Our very 1st home was brand new in a neighborhood like that. Original homes were about 10- 12 yrs old. We lived there for 15 yrs before selling and buying another new home. A neighborhood like that definitely has some pros and cons. Or is there something else going on with the neighborhood?
BLR is mostly new construction. It was a working ranch many years ago but has passed through a string of owners who could not bring anything to fruition and ended up selling. A few years ago a TX oil company bought the 22,000 acres and drilled some test oil wells which came up dry. The oil firm sold BLR to what is arguably the largest developer in the region (Classic Companies) who will try yet again to make a go of the place. A number of years ago the city annexed the land, so it is "in" the city of COLO SPGS. Much of the water from the Southern Delivery System (SDS) is supposed to be for development of BLR. It sits on the far eastern edge of the city, abutting Peterson AFB and the airport, and may be subject to some airport noise. If you visit you can see if you like it. We have a good long thread on BLR (search on BLR) to find it and read up on it for an hour or so to get up to speed on it. If I had $500k to spend I'd go elsewhere, we did.

IIRC we have a thread on local homebuilders where some people love Classic Homes and some don't. Building a new home can be a hit or miss with any builder depending on who they hire as subs do the work on any given house.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2018, 02:25 PM

2,668 posts, read 1,668,301 times
Unfortunately, your home purchasing dollar does not stretch very far here. Consider it the Colorado tax for locating near the mountains, views, and outdoor activities.

Any of the new developments on the fringe of the city will have higher property tax rates as well as the possibility of special tax assessment districts, fire protection districts, as well as any possible number of other financial burdens that come with a master planned community. These usually aren't found in the older, more central areas, but you also have different traffic flow issues, age, renovation, and lack of efficiency issues. So not only do you get to pay more for your house in the new areas, which has more space than you want, you also get to pay more in taxes, and you may have club or HOA dues to go along with it. But, many of these places are very nice, very modern, and very inviting.

BLR seems nice enough. I have some friends that just built out there, they are very happy.

Interstate noise, as well as any significant roadway like Woodman, Academy, Powers, etc, is a very touch and go subject and it can vary considerably within only a couple of blocks. COS is not very flat. There are hills and bluffs and valleys as well as man made structures for noise abatement that can tend to do strange things to the way sound travels. The Erindale area I mentioned earlier is only a quarter mile from Academy Blvd., but the bluffs, scrub oak, and even the housing layout is such that you can sit on your porch and not hear traffic. Flip side side to that is in the more central part of town where you can pick up highway noise a mile away. The best way to know for sure is to visit a few of your finalist at rush hour times to see what you can hear.

Old 02-27-2018, 08:21 PM

647 posts, read 340,571 times
If you want new, then I agree with others that you should look at Cordera and Wolf Ranch. Both offer a variety of house sizes, yard sizes, views, open space. Of course anything nice adds to price. I bought in The Farm, and don’t mind the freeway noise. It is greatly outweighed be the drop dead view. My wife and I decided early on that if we were moving here, we had to be able to see Pike’s peak from our backyard.
Not sure what you mean by “modern”. Most builders are offering modern, mid century modern, farmhouse and rustic elevations.

Old 02-27-2018, 08:44 PM

5,006 posts, read 6,683,532 times
There are some really nice new housing developments in Fountain you might want to look at - you get a little more house for your money there and have nice mountain views, off the freeway, adjacent to country roads.....

Old 02-28-2018, 09:02 AM

841 posts, read 1,249,364 times
Make sure you know which plot to buy etc in some of those newer housing developments. The road noise from Powers is one big reason I decided against Wolf Ranch (besides incredibly small lots for the money and distance from downtown) and Cordera.

Old 02-28-2018, 07:28 PM

647 posts, read 340,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyt00 View Post
Make sure you know which plot to buy etc in some of those newer housing developments. The road noise from Powers is one big reason I decided against Wolf Ranch (besides incredibly small lots for the money and distance from downtown) and Cordera.
Not sure I agree. Wolf ranch continues to expand but to the east away from Powers and only a few parts of Cordera are near Powers.

What I would check with all the new developments is the extra property taxes.

Old 02-28-2018, 08:05 PM

53 posts, read 79,263 times
Thanks so much for everyone chiming in and sharing their experiences and knowledge of the area! It is much appreciated!!!

Taking into consideration what everyone has said on this thread and all the other threads on this forum is that I think we will try and up our new build house/or very new used house buying budget some.....maybe up to 550,000. We will also consider more seriously spending way less and buying a used home and using money to renovate it. Although that is still Plan B in my mind. A big renovation is not my idea of fun at the start of our retirement BUT I've seen those VIEWS that some of those older homes have and WOW! Where ever we end up I hope road noise is a non issue in our decision making.

My hubby and I will be up there in May to explore all these areas mentioned and we are so excited! We will then have a looooong wait until Feb 2019.

Old 02-28-2018, 08:18 PM

53 posts, read 79,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDog View Post
. I bought in The Farm, and donít mind the freeway noise. It is greatly outweighed be the drop dead view. My wife and I decided early on that if we were moving here, we had to be able to see Pikeís peak from our backyard.
Yeah, we might end up like you and your wife. We really want a view badly as we love to have lots of windows and have them all open to that view. Our last home was all glass on the back and looked out over a pond that was always filled with ducks. Loved it..... but we had road noise to deal with when we sat out back enjoying that view. Ruined it a bit. No noise inside the house though. So yeah, we are a bit conflicted about it. View still might outweigh noise. Guess we will find out when we finally get to go house hunting. We visit in May and then come back in Feb 2019 to find our home to retire in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs