U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 08:21 PM

53 posts, read 79,263 times

Advertisements

Hi Y'all! Been reading this forum as part of my research into the area you guys live in. Got a question for you. Here's a brief background before I ask. My hubby and I are retiring early next year if all goes as planned. I'm fixing to turn 50 and he is 53. We have a trip planned in May of this year to visit Colorado Springs so we can see the area in person and not base our decision to move there just off of Google. We are going all in and want to buy a home there Feb 2019. Nope, we do not want to rent first for a few reasons. We are from Houston, Tx and shhhh don't tell anyone but we really dislike it. Our main reason for moving to Colorado is that we love to hike, bike, kayak and so on and want to be in a place that we have that opportunity close by or even the further areas to explore would be great. For some great hiking from Houston it's like a 12 hr drive. Closer places are so small and we can hike the whole park in 1 day. Better summer weather, close to Denver and so on make Colorado Springs the place we want to retire and enjoy our free time.

I've been researching new build master planned neighborhoods. New ones as I don't think we want to buy a used house. The prices on used homes seem just as high as new build ones and then we'd have to totally redo the inside as everything I have seen online so far is either outdated or super traditional. We prefer more modern or at the very least a transitional style. Looks like modern will be hard to find although there are a few builders offering a more modern look. I don't think I can embrace cabin style. No offense. Lol!

Of course an amazing view with lots of windows might make me want to take on re doing a used home or embrace that cabin style.

These are on our list to visit.....Cordera, Wolf Ranch, Banning Lewis Ranch, The Farm, Flying Horse (too high price probably), Meridian Ranch in Peyton/Falcon area, Gold Hill Mesa (soil issue?). Also plan a bit further out...Sanctuary Pointe and Forest Lakes in Monument, Terrain in Castle Rock.

We do not need a large home. 2000 - 2500 sq ft or so. Seems like that size range is hard to find. They all seem to be huge.

We would like to spend no more than 500,000.

My concern/question is this.........how is the noise level from traffic in these neighborhoods? The reason I ask is because they all seem to be by some big roads. We put up with so much traffic noise here in Houston and we would probably eliminate a neighborhood if it is an issue. I know in May when we visit we can see/hear for ourselves but I'm just curious to know if noise is an issue.

Thanks! Any other new neighborhoods I can research please do suggest or ones to avoid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2018, 08:52 PM

20,308 posts, read 37,797,930 times
I would steer you to Cordera, Wolf Ranch, Briargate, Pine Creek, Kettle Creek, North Fork.

IMO the Farm is way too close to I-25 which will give you a noise problem and IMO you want to be at least a mile away from any interstate highway.

In some of the areas I mentioned is Powers Blvd, a state highway (CO-21) that is due for upgrade to interstate specs, and it too is noisy as I used to live 200 yards away from it across an open field.

We didn't buy in Flying Horse as it was more expensive and we got the exact same house from the same builder in Kettle Creek for $50k less. They have to pay for that nice golf course and fancy gym so prices up there are higher.

Gold Hill Mesa is built on old mine tailings that were drenched in chemicals to leach the gold out of the ore and has arsenic, lead and cyanide in it plus who knows what. I went to pet a dog there once and it mooed at me. IIRC they put a 6-foot cap of dirt over that pile and then built houses on it.

Meridian Ranch is nice but further east than I'd like to be.

Banning Lewis Ranch is out east though officially part of the city which annexed the huge plot. It has a long and tortured history, an albatross around the necks of a long string of owners. IIRC taxes on homes there are a bit higher but can't quite recall the reasons.

Note that out east of town it can be windy as the winds come down off the mountains and really get rolling east of the city.

We lived in COLO SPGS for 11 years, until June 2016. We bought a house in 2005 and in 2007 the hail damaged the roofing shingles so we replaced the roof, and did it again in 2011. In 2011 we put on the 50-year heavy duty hail-resistant shingles (made by Malarky); you might want to determine the type of roof on any home you buy. It's not a deal breaker to have standard shingles, but you really want a good roof inspection to judge the merits of what's up there.

Thank you for reading our threads before posing questions, you've saved all of us a lot of time. There are threads on the better home builders in the forum, the search engine works very well.

Stay in touch with our forum, we have a great bunch of people on here.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-26-2018, 09:25 PM

2,668 posts, read 1,669,907 times
There are a few central and a couple of western neighborhoods that meet most your criteria, except for possibly price. But, there are occasionally bargains that pop up in these areas.

University Park is a newer development that is north over the bluffs from UCCS. Adjacent to it is Erindale, which is full of somewhat older custom homes and was a Parade of Homes site for several years in the 1990s, so there may be some transitional styles here.

Country Club Estates near Palmer Park, which is near, surprise, Cos Country Club. Originally developed in the late 50s, a lot of these houses are being updated and modernized and you might find some nice transitional styles with modern updates. You could just as easily find something needing total updates as well. Also adjacent to this immediate area at the base of Austin Bluffs Park is a host of custom houses constructed in the last 20 years.

Further west of the interstate is Kissing Camel Estates. This is a mix of houses, townhomes and condos in a gated community built from the 60s to last week. It all blends together well. There also are several new developments along Mesa Road in addition to Kissing Camels, such as The Retreat, La Posada, and a few that slip my mind further south down Mesa Rd. Not a lot that are regularly for sale and the view up here means prices tend to be pretty high. Kissing Camel at $500k will put you in the bottom tier of housing available in the development as many homes there exceed the $1 Million mark, but you never know what can pop up in the area.

Old 02-27-2018, 04:25 AM

4,330 posts, read 4,354,278 times
Finding a new house for just $500K that meets your requirements may be a challenge. At that price level a new house will likely be built on a tiny lot about 10 feet from your neighbor. It will also likely be built way out there away from shopping and require a long commute.

Here's a thought.

Look at a $400K used house with the idea of gutting the entire interior and replacing the flooring, cabinets, counter tops, plumbing faucets, baseboards, paint, electrical fixtures, and whatever else it takes to renew the house. You can buy a lot of that stuff for $100K.

I had a friend who flipped houses during the housing bust here and did that. They all easily were sold within a few weeks.

If you would consider doing that you might be able to find one that was built on a location away from traffic noise, with mature free landscaping, closer to amenities, and on a larger lot.

It takes about 20 years of growing to get a good tree here.

Old 02-27-2018, 09:53 AM

1,454 posts, read 2,081,271 times
I would check out Sanctuary Pointe and Forest Lakes if they have anything in your price range. Pretty area, but I have not been back in there to check it out. Its far enough from the interstate to probably not have traffic noise.

Old 02-27-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post

Gold Hill Mesa is built on old mine tailings that were drenched in chemicals to leach the gold out of the ore and has arsenic, lead and cyanide in it plus who knows what. I went to pet a dog there once and it mooed at me. IIRC they put a 6-foot cap of dirt over that pile and then built houses on it.
Bahahahahahaha! Geeze and I was only worried about 3 eyed frogs and glow in the dark birds. A dog that moo's is a deal breaker for that neighborhood.

Thanks for all the info!

Old 02-27-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
There are a few central and a couple of western neighborhoods that meet most your criteria, except for possibly price. But, there are occasionally bargains that pop up in these areas.

University Park is a newer development that is north over the bluffs from UCCS. Adjacent to it is Erindale, which is full of somewhat older custom homes and was a Parade of Homes site for several years in the 1990s, so there may be some transitional styles here.

Country Club Estates near Palmer Park, which is near, surprise, Cos Country Club. Originally developed in the late 50s, a lot of these houses are being updated and modernized and you might find some nice transitional styles with modern updates. You could just as easily find something needing total updates as well. Also adjacent to this immediate area at the base of Austin Bluffs Park is a host of custom houses constructed in the last 20 years.

Further west of the interstate is Kissing Camel Estates. This is a mix of houses, townhomes and condos in a gated community built from the 60s to last week. It all blends together well. There also are several new developments along Mesa Road in addition to Kissing Camels, such as The Retreat, La Posada, and a few that slip my mind further south down Mesa Rd. Not a lot that are regularly for sale and the view up here means prices tend to be pretty high. Kissing Camel at $500k will put you in the bottom tier of housing available in the development as many homes there exceed the $1 Million mark, but you never know what can pop up in the area.
Thanks I'll check out those areas! I appreciate your reply!

Old 02-27-2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Finding a new house for just $500K that meets your requirements may be a challenge. At that price level a new house will likely be built on a tiny lot about 10 feet from your neighbor. It will also likely be built way out there away from shopping and require a long commute.

Here's a thought.

Look at a $400K used house with the idea of gutting the entire interior and replacing the flooring, cabinets, counter tops, plumbing faucets, baseboards, paint, electrical fixtures, and whatever else it takes to renew the house. You can buy a lot of that stuff for $100K.

I had a friend who flipped houses during the housing bust here and did that. They all easily were sold within a few weeks.

If you would consider doing that you might be able to find one that was built on a location away from traffic noise, with mature free landscaping, closer to amenities, and on a larger lot.

It takes about 20 years of growing to get a good tree here.
Before I researched prices there I thought our budget of 500,000 was awesome. I learned quickly that 500,000 in Colorado Springs isn't as awesome as I thought. Now here in Texas we could easily get an amazing home for that. Frustrating for sure.

We do not mind having no yard but definitely DO want to be backed up to an open space or walking trail. We like the windows open so no back neighbor 5 ft away. Wouldn't want them to be watching me do the happy dance of being in Colorado in my living room. Hahahaha

Yes, we are now more seriously considering doing just what you suggested of buying a used home and renovating it. That's such a huge undertaking though. Ugh! After we visit those new masterplanned communities in May I think that will tell us if that is the way we need to go. Traffic noise really is a major issue for us since we love sitting out back and relaxing.

Thanks for your reply!

Old 02-27-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beezle1 View Post
I would check out Sanctuary Pointe and Forest Lakes if they have anything in your price range. Pretty area, but I have not been back in there to check it out. Its far enough from the interstate to probably not have traffic noise.
Thank you! We will visit those places for sure.

Old 02-27-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Banning Lewis Ranch is out east though officially part of the city which annexed the huge plot. It has a long and tortured history, an albatross around the necks of a long string of owners. IIRC taxes on homes there are a bit higher but can't quite recall the reasons.
Is Banning Lewis Ranch someplace we should avoid in your opinion? From what I could gather is that it is an older neighborhood that is now expanding and adding on new build homes. Our very 1st home was brand new in a neighborhood like that. Original homes were about 10- 12 yrs old. We lived there for 15 yrs before selling and buying another new home. A neighborhood like that definitely has some pros and cons. Or is there something else going on with the neighborhood?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs