Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 10:44 AM

6,800 posts, read 10,422,221 times

Advertisements

I think I live outside the bounds of where these are taking place but I have seen them here and there and it is definitely a marked improvement from where we were before that was passed. Remember how much we were always complaining about potholes and roads every season? The weather we've had has helped - those flood years wreaked havoc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2018, 08:39 PM

1,013 posts, read 965,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
How is this road repair going in your area?

Here in Briargate, the curb repairs and road resurfacing is going very well. Several of our 30 year old roads now are like new.

I think taxpayers are getting a good return for their support of the road repair taxes.

What do you think?
Totally agree. Research is really nice to drive on now. Can’t wait for work on Union next year.

Anyone know if there a way to nominate roads?

Old 03-09-2019, 07:41 AM

7,120 posts, read 9,185,840 times
Default 2019-2020 updated plan

https://www.csindy.com/coloradosprin...t?oid=18824730

"Colorado Springs has spent about $150 million in the last three years to upgrade its crumbling road network under a special .62 percent sales tax approved by voters in 2015, known as 2C.

So far, the city remains on track to repave 1,068 lane miles of its 5,700-mile network — 68 miles more than the 1,000 miles initially promised — during the five-year program that started in 2016.

The 2C program, which focuses on heavily traveled collector and arterial roads, overlayed 214 lane miles the first year, 238 miles in 2017, and 225 miles in 2018. This year’s goal is 177 miles, and in 2020, crews will tackle 214 miles.

But none of those were residential streets, many of which haven’t been maintained at all in decades.

Hence, Mayor John Suthers is contemplating asking City Council in May, if he’s re-elected in the April 2 city election, to refer a measure to the November ballot asking voters’ permission to extend the program another five years.

Only this time, Suthers says, he’ll recommend asking for a .57 percent sales tax over five years and designating 80 percent of the funding for residential streets.

A poll conducted in mid-February shows 59 percent of a sample of likely voters are willing to support such a measure.

“I think it’s been a tremendous public works project,” Suthers tells the Indy. “Any time you take on something this large it takes an incredible amount of coordination.”"

"The 2019 overlay list includes the following roads:
• Carefree Circle Drive South from Powers Boulevard to Village Road
• Palmer Park Road from Academy Boulevard to Powers Boulevard
• South Chelton Road from Airport Road to Jet Wing Drive
• Austin Bluffs Parkway from Rangewood Drive to Woodmen Road
• Dublin Boulevard from Academy Boulevard to Rangewood Drive
• Union Boulevard from Briargate Parkway to Lexington Drive, from Briargate Boulevard to Woodmen, and from Fountain Boulevard to Highway 24
• Rockrimmon Boulevard from Vindicator Drive to Pro Rodeo Drive
• Briargate Parkway from Powers Boulevard to Voyager Parkway
• Stetson Hills Boulevard from Austin Bluffs to Charlotte Parkway
• Lexington Drive from Briargate Parkway to Briargate Boulevard"

Old 03-09-2019, 08:39 AM

I hope that this program gets continued. I generally don’t like taxes, but I think this program pays for itself in many ways.

Old 03-11-2019, 06:42 PM

116 posts, read 123,180 times
I hope so as well. In the short time I've lived in the Springs it's been a very noticeable improvement!

Old 03-11-2019, 07:34 PM

6,800 posts, read 10,422,221 times
I agree! Potholes and poor roads were a much bigger headache before voters approved this.

Old 03-11-2019, 07:39 PM

96 posts, read 78,621 times
The only problem with repaving is that it is all cosmetic. They never fix the underlying problem of settlement. Look at the area of South Academy down by the Hancock Expressway. That area gets repaved every two to three years. They should dig it up, and redo the underlying courses and subgrade, maybe with cement stabilization. Even my own residential street has an area that has been repaved three times in the ten years I have lived here, the last being in 2017 when the entire street was repaved, but it is already starting to settle and rut. And Union south of Dublin also has sections that have been repaved at least three times in the last ten years, the latest being last year, and again, it is already starting to fail.

It is about as worthless as pouring gallons of hot asphalt into cracks that they used to do before they passed the repaving tax.

Anyway, I did write the city engineer, but I never got an answer other than "thank you for your interest".

And some of the sidewalks in the Briargate area are being redone, again, after they were redone about five years ago.

Old 03-12-2019, 06:59 PM

They are redoing the sidewalks because it’s required by federal law.

Old 05-31-2019, 05:10 AM

7,120 posts, read 9,185,840 times
Default Paving continues

https://www.csbj.com/2019/05/29/pavi...treets-begins/

"The cone zones motorists love to hate are appearing again this summer as the fourth year of 2C-funded paving operations shifts into high gear.

But they indicate progress on nearly 175 lane miles of city streets that will be repaved this summer, Mayor John Suthers said at a kickoff event May 24 on Austin Bluffs Parkway.

The paving operations will focus on heavily traveled collector and arterial roads. The list this year includes streets including Austin Bluffs; Palmer Park Road; Dublin, Union and Rockrimmon boulevards; and Briargate Parkway.

“With the third year of historic road work under voter-approved Ballot Measure 2C in the books and the fourth season now starting, we remain committed to improving the trajectory of our city’s transportation infrastructure,” Suthers said. “We have already repaved nearly 700 miles of roadway under 2C, but in a city with more than 5,900 lane miles and counting, much work remains to be done.”

You can find out if a major street near your business or home will be impacted by viewing the 2019 2C overlay list here."

https://coloradosprings.gov/sites/de...ouncil_new.pdf

I'm so glad they will be fixing Union. I've been dodging chuck holes there for years.

Old 05-31-2019, 05:46 AM

73 posts, read 44,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDog View Post
They are redoing the sidewalks because it’s required by federal law.

The only reason the City of Colorado Springs is now fixing the sidewalks for ADA compliance is because they were sued twice by private citizens for non-compliance. The City and County had a history of never inspecting both private and public construction for ADA compliance, but as a result of the lawsuits, has now hired several ADA compliance officers and is spending 2C funds to retrofit (when they should have done it right to begin with as ADA requirements have been around for decades).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs