U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 08:14 PM

6 posts, read 2,323 times

Advertisements

Help! I've been combing through the various district websites trying to understand the salary system.
Only D11 seems to be a traditional schedule with all the columns and rows laid out.

The other districts have limited information online and as a mid career teacher (15 years/MA degree) I'm having a hard time comparing districts' salaries.

Here are my questions:

A. Several districts (such as D20) only have the first row laid out. I can see what my MA earns if I am a first year teacher, but does not tell me the subsequent years steps going down. (Ironically, each district tells me how many years experience they will credit me but that doesn't help if I can't see any of the rows/steps).

B. D49 has TWO separate schedules. One is called the schedule, one is called the salary range. My possible salary varies by almost 10K depending on which one I refer to.

C. Harrison D2 has a merit pay schedule? How are new teachers with previous experience placed on the schedule?

D. Are most of the springs districts fairly comparable (within a few thousand?). I know rural districts struggle with pay but I assumed the metro area schools would all be similar....

E. Do costs of health care vary much from district to district?
Where I am now, the large city district has MUCH cheaper insurance than the smaller surrounding suburbs. So even though the salaries are nearly identical, the cheaper insurance for a family adds thousands to the salary package.

Thanks so much for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 08:31 PM

5,011 posts, read 6,698,140 times
Salary overall in the districts is similar, but at a specific spot on the schedule can vary a lot. You'd have to ask the districts about their schedules more when you interview unless you find an employee to explain it to you. I work in D11 so I can't help with the other districts' schedules much. I think health care costs can vary quite a bit. I think some districts do not post their schedules clearly so as to hide their practices so they can perhaps offer people different amounts or placement, but I don't know for sure. As a fellow educator, I'd advise you to simply choose the best job as long as the salary is doable for you - in most cases quality of life etc. where you work matters much more than the differences in pay between districts around here, imho.

Old 03-10-2018, 09:04 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,926,422 times
D49 is realigning our salaries. Teachers had their pay frozen for several years are having their salaries caught up.

I can't help you with the insurance because we're retired military and I don't take the district salary.

Old 03-11-2018, 01:12 PM

Otowi... thanks so much for the reassurance. I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing some big salary difference that could/should alter my plan of action. :-)

Captain_hug99 .... that's what I figured (our district is doing the same thing). I just hoped someone knew which schedule would be used for new hires.

Old 03-11-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJUB View Post
Otowi... thanks so much for the reassurance. I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing some big salary difference that could/should alter my plan of action. :-)

Captain_hug99 .... that's what I figured (our district is doing the same thing). I just hoped someone knew which schedule would be used for new hires.
Well, it is bargaining season now, usually not ratified until April/May. Not all districts bargain but they do revisit the salary schedules annually around this time. D11 employees will be getting a raise because we finally passed a mill levy this year, so the salary schedule will be a little higher than the one online.

Old 03-11-2018, 06:37 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,926,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJUB View Post

I barely know what schedule I'm on!

Old 03-13-2018, 09:57 AM

842 posts, read 1,250,999 times
I went from something sensible, like "step 14" (14 years of experience) with MA+12 to "step 25" or something like that (d49)

Depending on which subject area, you will either find people clamoring for you (math/science) or people may be hired at entry level (English) though it changes. At my HS it always appears that the youngest, cheapest teachers are the ones getting hired the most. The districts say they want more experienced teachers, and we have jobs that are always open (special ed) but the practices seem to lean towards the less experienced teachers as they are overall cheaper.

D2 has a merit-based pay so your increase in salary is tied to your performance in the classroom.

Yes most school districts are similar pay wise, but as I discovered, D20 has a much more expensive insurance package than d49, so though d49's salary may be technically lower, the insurance is higher.

Old 03-13-2018, 11:00 AM

I think D11's insurance compares pretty well with other districts but honestly I'm not sure.

Old 03-16-2018, 07:49 PM

58 posts, read 18,765 times
SJUB,

I would like to find out which school district you get hired by. When we moved here 11 years ago, we settled in District 20 for high school for our daughter. My wife is a teacher, but when she talked to HR in District 20 about their vacancies, she was told something to the effect of "we do not hire out of state teachers". In the neighborhood we settled in, several of our neighbors are teachers. Not a single one works for District 20. In fact, the only person I know who was hired in District 20 was a retired Air Force LTC who teaches math and flight school. All of our neighbor teachers work for District 11. District 12 has a good reputation, but no teacher I know likes Districts 2 and 8, though I know a teacher who is working on his Master's degree in administration and thinks he will have an easier chance getting hired as an administrator in District 2.

Old 03-19-2018, 02:39 PM

Thanks everyone so much for the more in-depth information about steps and insurance. :-) If you think of any other tidbits please continue to add information!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or