U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 07:35 PM

2,669 posts, read 1,671,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I was stationed there in the early 80s and again in the 90s. Have to agree worst drivers I've encountered anywhere by percentage have to be in Colorado Springs. I still remember there was a song "Pray for me, I drive Academy" that summed it up and I suspect it's worse now.

Shoot, driving Academy is pretty easy these days. I-25, Powers, Cimmaron, Briargate Woodman, there are plenty of other bad roads to replace Academy these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2018, 06:30 AM

5,007 posts, read 6,688,060 times
I do think in some places Academy's lanes are pretty narrow. But yeah Academy is no longer the only option for commuting in quite the way it used to be.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:45 AM

Once upon a time, we waited for the snow to come and listen about all the pile ups on south Circle and Academy and the Ft Carson gates.

Now days when it snows, we get to read about all the slide offs on Woodman and north I-25 and high speed chases on the east side.

Old 03-13-2018, 11:01 AM

5,761 posts, read 3,043,495 times
Hey we lived off Woodman when it was still two lanes, Powers dead ended, and there was no light there.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:38 PM

653 posts, read 341,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
Once upon a time, we waited for the snow to come and listen about all the pile ups on south Circle and Academy and the Ft Carson gates.

Now days when it snows, we get to read about all the slide offs on Woodman and north I-25 and high speed chases on the east side.
So, why do so many people here drive in bad weather? Clearly nobody needs to go out to dinner in a snow storm.

Old 03-14-2018, 09:02 AM

Most people are driving to go to and from work and/or school. Despite claims to the contrary, most people here are not retired and still have to work.

It used to be that during inclement weather, all the accidents were concentrated on the south side because of all the military personnel who had never seen snow much less driven in it. Now its equally split between the south side, for the same reasons, and the north side, where there seems to be a perception of driving invincibility, thus lack of caution.

Old 03-14-2018, 11:40 AM

680 posts, read 407,668 times
I just want people to respect other drivers. I mean yeah, I go 70 75mph on powers but ill never tail gate. I give plenty of room to other cars. and when im coasting im on the right lane. it seems the people coming down tot he springs are self centered and dont care about other human lives. I mean heck i try to make convos or be polite to people and they are like brain dead zombies with no replied or smiles.

I remember I was getting some Jimmy Johns and there was this Lifted truck on my A** literally like 6 inches from my bumper. And I am going about 30 MPH which is still WAY too fast for a parking lot. Im like really? first thing he did was go into mcdonalds..i was like that was the rush?

Old 03-14-2018, 04:15 PM

653 posts, read 341,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
Most people are driving to go to and from work and/or school. Despite claims to the contrary, most people here are not retired and still have to work.
Well being one of those that had to work the past few snow storms, I can tell you all the parking lots for restaurants, and shopping centers were packed.

Old 03-14-2018, 06:06 PM

696 posts, read 351,113 times
I was at a hotel in CS one day in 1995. The ambulances there had to have a bullhorn to tell drivers to pull over.

Old 03-15-2018, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDog View Post
Well being one of those that had to work the past few snow storms, I can tell you all the parking lots for restaurants, and shopping centers were packed.

Well, once your out, why not. Often getting out of your neighborhood is the biggest challenge and once you are on arterial streets, things get pretty easy. In all reality, most of our recent storms are really nothing spectacular. Drop 12" in 6 hours and those restaurants and shopping centers will be all but empty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or