U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 07:15 AM

13,651 posts, read 21,503,411 times

Advertisements

It never fails, our traffic problems out on the road are expressed 100% in these boards as it is out on the roads.

Our problems with driving and with each other are our attitudes. We are each individually more important than, smarter than, and more compliant than the other people out there.

We each deserve an open road. I'm more in a hurry to get to work than you and I'm more important than you when I get there anyway.

We are inconsiderate, intolerant, impatient, unwilling to follow the letter of the law until there's a cop on our ass.

Once they get out of our way, it's back to Me first, get outta my way.

Motorcycles don't belong on the road, the pipes are too loud, waa waa waa. What a laugh.

With a cdl, I'm trained to and required to stop far enough back from a vehicle such that I can see where their rear tires meet the road. See how many times you do this next time you drive, especially if you're driving an 18 wheeler, fed ex express truck, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
Now, my experience in central FL last fall was the complete opposite. Everyone was driving quite sanely if not even slower than limits, following signage and signals most of the times I was on the road in most places I was driving. Even an interstate detour saw people doing a great job of alternating access to the side road.

Guess its all timing and location.

On the other hand, I agree with others about red light runners and tailgaters. They seem to be everywhere, but like MFBE says, we all like to vent about it because everybody else on the road is either a maniac speed demon or a g-damn slow poke. We are all perfect drivers, of course.
If you're always getting tailgated maybe you should consider doing one of two things, mash down on the right pedal with your right foot or get over to the right lane.

If you're moseying along and see that you're convoying along with the vehicles next to you and thusly blocking off people behind you from getting by, don't be surprised when they wave at you without using all of their four fingers. They may even wave other things at you. Life is full of surprises.

It's pretty simple stuff. The time spent on hold listening to the most annoying music possible while waiting for customer service is directly proportional to your level of courtesy while driving out in traffic.

Last edited by McGowdog; 03-30-2018 at 07:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2018, 08:55 AM

2,669 posts, read 1,671,734 times
Cool philosophy. I'm rarely on hold.

Old 03-31-2018, 05:28 PM

4,680 posts, read 2,303,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post

If you're always getting tailgated maybe you should consider doing one of two things, mash down on the right pedal with your right foot or get over to the right lane.
Um, no. Because I'd be the one pulled over for speeding. So unless the tailgater is willing to pay my fines and/or go to traffic school to keep those dings off my record, he can drive behind me or find a way to go around. And there's no use telling people to get over to the right lane. I've personally been tailgated many times in the right lane. Short of pulling over to drive on the shoulder, there isn't much a person can do.

Now if the whole traffic pattern is going 10 or 15 miles over speed limit, I'll speed up. But not for one lousy tailgater.

Old 03-31-2018, 08:11 PM

653 posts, read 341,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Um, no. Because I'd be the one pulled over for speeding. So unless the tailgater is willing to pay my fines and/or go to traffic school to keep those dings off my record, he can drive behind me or find a way to go around. And there's no use telling people to get over to the right lane. I've personally been tailgated many times in the right lane. Short of pulling over to drive on the shoulder, there isn't much a person can do.

Now if the whole traffic pattern is going 10 or 15 miles over speed limit, I'll speed up. But not for one lousy tailgater.
And that attitude is why you get tailgated. At least you donít live here. The law is pass or move right.

Old 03-31-2018, 11:26 PM

4,680 posts, read 2,303,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDog View Post
And that attitude is why you get tailgated. At least you don’t live here. The law is pass or move right.
Didn't I just say I was in the right lane?

Old 04-01-2018, 09:41 AM

18,907 posts, read 8,878,766 times
Quote:
And that attitude is why you get tailgated. At least you donít live here. The law is pass or move right.
Since when is someone required to exceed the speed limit?

Old 04-01-2018, 12:39 PM

1,777 posts, read 1,283,903 times
Quote:
Iíve only been here a year but I donít see any difference in driver behavior here than anywhere else. Some drive too fast, some drive too slow and everyone is on their phone.
So now I drive a big truck so Iíll survive the eventual accident when someone runs a red light and hits me.
I used to worry too much about gas mileage to consider buying a large vehicle (truck or suv), but now because of all the crazy drivers on the road, I am planning on ditching my sedan in favor of a large pick-up or suv -- mainly for safety reasons. I just don't feel safe driving around in a regular car anymore.

Old 04-01-2018, 02:52 PM

4,330 posts, read 4,359,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
I used to worry too much about gas mileage to consider buying a large vehicle (truck or suv), but now because of all the crazy drivers on the road, I am planning on ditching my sedan in favor of a large pick-up or suv -- mainly for safety reasons. I just don't feel safe driving around in a regular car anymore.
Perhaps this is one reason I see so many people driving full size pickups as commuters.

Very few are either towing or hauling anything.

Old 04-01-2018, 03:14 PM

20,310 posts, read 37,810,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
Back in Fairfax County we had an ER doctor who saw the carnage from drunk drivers come into his ER on a regular basis. He made it a point to drive only 1976 Cadillacs, the largest ones ever made, over 5000 pounds of steel wrapped around him as a shield.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-01-2018, 07:22 PM

653 posts, read 341,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Since when is someone required to exceed the speed limit?
Since most traffic goes over the speed limit, going the speed limit does not justify being in the left lane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or