U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 11:19 PM

4,704 posts, read 2,314,925 times

Advertisements

And then there was today. A two lane road, 30 miles of it, and someone tailgating me the entire way. What did he expect me to do? Drive over the car in front of me? And no, I'm not going to tailgate the guy in front of me just because you're on my back bumper. That's not an attitude, that's a safety issue. You hit me, I sue you. But if I keep a safe distance from the guy in front of me, I don't get sued because you won't have pushed me into him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2018, 04:36 PM

18,997 posts, read 8,914,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDog View Post
Since most traffic goes over the speed limit, going the speed limit does not justify being in the left lane.
I said NOTHING about being in the left lane.

Old 04-02-2018, 04:52 PM

5,011 posts, read 6,698,140 times
If the road is one that has intersections involving left-hand turns, it is entirely reasonable for someone to get into the left lane in preparation for turning left within a few miles of said turn. If everyone actually drove the speed limit and didn't tailgate, etc., then more people would probably be happy to wait until closer to the intersection to get over, but as it is often hard to change lanes with the way people drive here, many may opt to get over sooner when the opportunity to do so safely arises. They are under no obligation at all to speed just because they are in the left lane. If it is a highway and they can get over and stay right, they should. But the thing some people don't seem to understand is that speeding is illegal and other drivers should not have to break the law to accommodate speeders. The speeders are the ones who should accommodate and slow down, because they are the ones outside of the law.

Old 04-03-2018, 09:15 AM

842 posts, read 1,251,330 times
So I spent Easter visiting my family members who live in: San Antonio, Austin, and Houston. On the way home, drove through Dallas.

Colorado Springs was a breath of fresh air once I reached our "terrible" traffic. We do have issues, yes, but at least we aren't going 85 miles per hour and have to cross over six lanes of traffic trying to merge from one major highway to get onto the left lanes for the next highway.

My daughter and I saw an accident. Fortunately it appeared no one was hurt, but for her, a young driver, it was a lesson. While in north Houston, two cars weaving in and out of traffic, at least 90-100 mph. An hour down the road on I-45, the two cars were off on the side of the road in a ditch.

Old 04-03-2018, 10:18 AM

683 posts, read 409,989 times
Quote:
And that attitude is why you get tailgated. At least you donít live here. The law is pass or move right.

the law also states to go over over the speed limit on the left lane by 20MPH + which happens on powers a lot. I need to be on the left in order to get off my exit @ stetson hills.

Now on highway use, im obviously on the right lane unless I need to pass. and in passes such as going to woodland park, I am also on the right lane STILL going over the speed limit by 20+ and STILL being tail gated by people who have Texas and California license plates.

there is no need to go over the speed limit by 20+ putting other peoples lives in danger. Those type of drivers are about themselves and do not care about other peoples lives - its all about themselves and NO ONE else.

Old 04-03-2018, 10:33 AM

683 posts, read 409,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
I don't find motorcyclist to be any more of a road hazard than the weaving in and out of traffic Subaru WRX drivers, or Texan tourists, or meandering RV drivers, texting millenials, stoned out of their gourd visitor, throng of Olympic bicyclists, etc.....

Its just a part of being a driver in Cos.

Now, motorcycles with straight pipes deciding to drag race between lights on Nevada Ave at 2am Saturday and Sunday mornings, that I find annoying.
thank you as I agree... Yes I am a motorcyclist driver, but I am a dual sprt rider meaning our bikes are not powerful and they are not loud at all. cars are much louder. on a motorcycle, I usually go the speed limit maybe 5 or 10 over on the right lane, which I feel is the safest place to be. I ride a dual sport, because its like a high for me and its worth the risk. I love hitting the trails and exploring...to me this add value to my life. but for the love of god, respect motorcycles and other drivers.

I have to admit, a lot of people do not tail gate me and give me space, but the retards who tailgate a motorcycle and roll on a left turn onto me are usually ppl from texas and california with license plates still in tact. seems they are bringing their rush to the springs.

Had a guy rolling a left turn on me and I was slowing down because YOU NEVER want to roll on a motorcycle since we can not tell if you can see us or not..so I hit my brakes trying to figure out if he is going to go in my lane or not...and he gave me the wtf hand...im like really man? you making a left turn on my lane while im going 40+ and rolling into my lane slowly... and of course I am going to slow down because im not in a cage..if I was in a car..im like pshh w/e you go in my lane and hit me its not my fault..on a bike...i can be dead.

Old 04-03-2018, 12:15 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,287,508 times
Quote:
Since most traffic goes over the speed limit, going the speed limit does not justify being in the left lane.
But technically, the speed limit is the fastest one can travel in any lane, whether the left lane or not, so people who drive the speed limit in the "fast lane" are obeying the law. I realize that most people drive faster than that in the left lane (or in all lanes, probably), but the law is the law -- even if many people don't follow the law.

Old 04-03-2018, 02:57 PM

9,834 posts, read 6,305,324 times
I've lived in a bunch of places in the US, and everywhere has bad drivers, it's just that people in different places have different particular bad driving habits. I just visited Phoenix, down there it's people cutting you off, jumping into your lane with no signal and very little clearance.

In Washington state, if the sun comes out, everybody freaks and stops on the interstate.

In Iowa, despite that fact that it's HECKING IOWA and the winters are always the same (snow, ice, more snow, more ice, cold) there are fools who drive SUVs they figure are magical snow-mobiles that can stop on ice, and they always end up in the ditches.

In northern Virginia, no one understands the concept of merging, and this means that I-95 is usually a parking lot for many hours of each day.

Here, I would say the worst is the running red lights. Never seen people do it this much anywhere else.

Tailgating at high speeds, I always heard that was a California driving habit, but I've never spent enough time there to judge for myself.

I had a great moment recently. You know how once in a while you see a driver do something so incredibly stupid, illegal, and dangerous...and usually there is no cop there to catch them. Sucks. Well this time? There were TWO cops! Hee hee! I was on Voyager northbound, stopped at Razorback, in the left of two lanes that continue going straight at that point. Facing me in oncoming traffic, with red lights across the board, there was a guy waiting in the left turn lane, an empty lane, and then the right straight-southbound lane had a car waiting. Cross traffic from Razorback had the green. A dude in a white work truck, went AROUND the guy in the left turn lane, to the clear spot (which was a straight-southbound) and drove around to try to turn left against the light onto eastbound Razorback (towards Walmart.)

He was trying to turn left, from a straight going lane, where both the lefters, and the straighters there had the red light, and a woman trying to cross on her green had to slam on her brakes to avoid hitting him. Unreal.

And LO! Right behind the woman coming from Razorback? A cop! He put on the sirens, pulled a U-ey right in the middle of the intersection, and went after the guy, and then right behind my shoulder, more sirens! We edged outta the way and let Cop #2 through so he could go after the jerk, too!

I swear I felt like everyone there should have leapt out of our cars and applauded and cheered.

Old 04-03-2018, 03:23 PM

842 posts, read 1,251,330 times
There is no state law that says it is legal to go 20+ mph over the posted speed limits.

https://leg.colorado.gov/content/state-speed-limits

The wording is quite clear:

Quote:
Open highways that are not a part of the interstate system and are not four‑lane freeways or expressways

55 mph

Surfaced, four‑lane highways that are a part of the interstate system or expressways

65 mph

Maximum lawful speed limit on any roadway in the state

75 mph
Maybe I'm not understanding you well, but it is never legal to go over the maximum posted limit.

Old 04-04-2018, 01:35 AM

4,704 posts, read 2,314,925 times
I drove in California for years and I think the big problem there was speed. It was when it rained there that people went crazy. Up here in the Puget Sound it's 2" of snow that will make everyone freak out. But it depends on the area here, too. On this side of the water on Hwy 16, you can barely get the people to drive up to the speed limit. On the Seattle side on I-5, if you don't do 20 over the speed limit, you'll get run over. What's really fun to watch is when 16 merges into 5. I never knew a big rig could slow down so quickly and judging from the driver's face, I bet he didn't know it, either. And no, I wasn't the one who merged onto the freeway in front of him at 45 mph.

I passed a bunch of cops one time all camped out right past where the diamond lane began on I-5. All these yahoos went flying into the diamond lane at top speed so they could pass the little old ladies who were going slower, you know, at only 80 mph or so. One cop stood there and flagged them down to stop and there was a line of police cars there to chase down the ones who didn't.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 04-04-2018 at 10:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or