U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 04:21 AM

13,634 posts, read 21,494,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
And then there was today. A two lane road, 30 miles of it, and someone tailgating me the entire way. What did he expect me to do? Drive over the car in front of me? And no, I'm not going to tailgate the guy in front of me just because you're on my back bumper. That's not an attitude, that's a safety issue. You hit me, I sue you. But if I keep a safe distance from the guy in front of me, I don't get sued because you won't have pushed me into him.
I agree with you. I like to turn my windshield washers on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I said NOTHING about being in the left lane.
Then why are you responding to DrDog? He did mention the left lane. That's what is the issue to most of us wrrt the topic here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2018, 12:37 PM

18,895 posts, read 8,873,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
I agree with you. I like to turn my windshield washers on.

Then why are you responding to DrDog? He did mention the left lane. That's what is the issue to most of us wrrt the topic here.

The stated topic is "What is it with the drivers here". That does not restrict the conversation to people being in the left lane.

Old 04-07-2018, 02:57 PM

608 posts, read 320,396 times
Did everyone see the woman killed but the stop sign runner on the news this week? Very tragic.

Just today I was crossing driving on a thoroughfare through a green light, when a car zoomed out turning right on red, and at the same time a car entered the intersection in front of me. I had to stop in the middle of the road to avoid hitting both. Absolutely crazy.

Then on the way home, we were on Constitution approaching Circle I believe, and I was turning left on a green arrow and someone ran a very red light, again causing me to slam on the breaks in the middle of the intersection to avoid being hit. *Eta, I might be off on the streets.. still terrifying to have that happen twice in one day with both kids in the car.

A few years ago in Denver I was hit by someone who had literally just gotten high at the gas station before slamming into my rear door with my toddler in the back.

We're considering buying larger vehicles.

Old 04-08-2018, 08:53 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,631,738 times
I was glad to see cops handing out speeding tickets in a nearby school zone last week. Compared to other large cities, I think that enforcement is lax here and drivers know they can make up their own rules.

Old 04-09-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
I was glad to see cops handing out speeding tickets in a nearby school zone last week. Compared to other large cities, I think that enforcement is lax here and drivers know they can make up their own rules.
They were handing out tickets on Powers about 2 weeks ago too. Maybe 4-5 police cars and a motorcycle.

Just like any city (I'm guessing) they do schedule speed patrols.

Old 04-09-2018, 03:11 PM

9,744 posts, read 6,273,073 times
I got yet another "Yay, a cop!" moment the other night. I was returning home just after midnight from a social gathering Saturday night, and turning left onto northbound Union from the ramp off of Austin Bluffs, and there was a car in front of me, and a cop in the other left turn lane next to us. The dummy in front of me, when the light changed, tried to turn from the left-into-the-left-lane, into the center lane instead, in the middle of the intersection, without even looking to see if someone was coming from the other turn lane next to us, and it just so happened he almost hit the front of the cop car with the rear of HIS car, as he did so. The cop had to slam on his brakes to avoid hitting him. He got pulled over immediately.

Twice lately I've seen people doing stupid things with left turns, when a cop is RIGHT THERE, and getting caught doing it.

If you are turning in a situation with multiple turn lanes, turn into the lane that is indicated and THEN if you need to change lanes once you're on the street you're getting onto, check your surroundings and do so. Do not switch lanes in the middle of the turn. I see people doing that coming from s/b Voyager onto Briargate all the time, too, turning left into the wrong lane...

Old 04-09-2018, 06:57 PM

1,368 posts, read 2,454,219 times
Powers & Union and Powers & Briargate exits. There's a left turn lane, right turn lane and the middle 2 lanes go straight. I keep seeing people turn left from the straight lanes and almost turn into the cars that were in the left turn lane.

Old 04-09-2018, 07:17 PM

I would like to mention that if you reach out to the traffic engineers they will take a look at, and try to address the problem to the best of their ability.

Old 04-11-2018, 11:55 AM

9,744 posts, read 6,273,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdefg567 View Post
I would like to mention that if you reach out to the traffic engineers they will take a look at, and try to address the problem to the best of their ability.
And you know, I appreciate that, but can an engineer fix "stupid?" I wonder...

Old 04-11-2018, 04:15 PM

2,668 posts, read 1,669,907 times
"To the best of their ability" i.e. if it involves reprogramming a set of signals or adding a static sign, they will consider doing it. Anything beyond that is going to cost money and require approvals that they likely won't pursue unless a whole neighborhood is flooding their office with identical demands.

Stupid... well, there are limits to how much education you can get, but stupid is boundless and infinite.

My wife thinks the traffic reporters on the local news networks should all focus in on a single driving topic each month and beat it to death to help improve area knowledge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or