U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 03:22 PM

1,685 posts, read 1,035,268 times

Advertisements

Well, not really surprising--Denver County is about 155 square miles, El Paso County is somewhere over 2000 square miles....more room to expand in El Paso.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2018, 03:48 PM

2,668 posts, read 1,666,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS79 View Post
Sure!

My house is worth 3x what I paid for it so that is most excellent-

Unfortunately the taxes also go up at the same rate as the value.

What's not to like?

Actually the taxes do not go up at the same rate as the value, and in some cases, drop while values go up. Because of the Gallagher amendment, residential property taxes can only make up 45% of the assessed base. The rest must be made of commercial assessments, so if this is out of alignment with rising residential values, tax rates may drop.

Now, if additional tax burden is added to those property taxes, then is a separate issue.

El Paso and Denver Counties trade the top spot from year to year and have for some time. But, as IndigoCardinal points out, we are comparing 155 square miles to 2130 sq miles. Denver County simply lacks space and building up is becoup expensive.

Old 03-24-2018, 04:17 AM

4,319 posts, read 4,348,520 times
But from that same article:

Mile High City comes to Pikes Peak: Denver restaurants and bars expand to Colorado Springs | Colorado Springs Gazette, News

"Oskar Blues is being joined by Atomic Cowboy, Fat Sully's Pizza and Denver Biscuit Co., three Denver restaurant and bar concepts that operate under one roof. They're expected to open this summer in the South Tejon Street building that formerly housed Southside Johnny's.

The ViewHouse, a mammoth sports bar and restaurant with locations in Centennial, Littleton and Denver's LoDo near Coors Field, expects to break ground this year and open in 2019 east of Interstate 25 and Woodmen Road.

Dos Santos Taqueria de Mexico restaurant, which has a single Denver location that's known for tacos and tequila, has targeted a July opening in the same building that will be home to Atomic Cowboy and its sister restaurants."

It looks like we'll soon see some restaurants that are not chains. That ViewHouse at I-25 and Woodman should provide a nice view from the deck, although I wish they had chosen a site near UCCS. That hill would have an even better view.

Here is what it looks like in the Denver areas: ViewHouse - Eatery, Bar, Rooftop - Centennial, Ballpark, Denver

Cheers!

Old 03-29-2018, 06:53 AM

1,019 posts, read 988,719 times
I had to leave Colorado because I got laid off and priced out. Colorado springs is a beautiful City and I hope it keeps growing so that I can afford the older areas, " cheaper seats " someday ....while the people in the balcony rattle their jewelry .

Old 03-29-2018, 07:49 AM

2,668 posts, read 1,666,689 times
Cos has attracted a range of different restaurants and eateries over the years, both local, regional and national. Concept, who had The Ritz, Old Chicago and Jose Muldoon developed out of Cos. The organization has changed and some places are gone or sold off to other management groups. Cos was, at one time, a test market for national chains like McDonalds and Pizza Hut. Rocky Rococco pizza stores made a go at it here once. Most recently Taco Bueno was here and fell apart. Hacienda opened shop not too long ago and appears to be doing well. However, the Cos market is a little picky about what succeeds and what fails and location is a critical aspect of that. That may be changing as the wealth has migrated north of the city and perhaps there is enough population up there to sustain some of these upcoming transplanted cafes. Time will tell.

Old 03-30-2018, 07:44 AM

13,626 posts, read 21,483,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS79 View Post
Truly sad actually.

So the toll lane will really improve things?

I'm thinking with all of the newbies going back/forth to Denver the 2 free lanes that remain will be even more grid-locked so nothing will improve.

Weekends are awful now and pretty soon the gridlock will be every day of the week if it is not already.

And the businesses that are moving down here as the previous posted said are NOT career-type businesses- they are only here for food and drink (entertainment) and the actual big-time employers will still stay in Denver.

This is what you get when you have folks buying mansions in Briargate and commuting to DTC for their job.

Btw, does CoSprings have a Snooze diner yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or