U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2018, 10:10 AM

2,048 posts, read 1,456,654 times

Advertisements

Just wondering, does COS have the same soil type that's common to the Denver area? (sticky, expansive clay.) I know soil types vary widely based on local geology, but Denver in general has a preponderance of clay, which makes home building and gardening difficult.

Thanks for your experiences. (BTW, not interested in hearing about mountain soils in my inquiry.)
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2018, 10:21 AM

841 posts, read 1,249,072 times
The farther east you go, the more clay you experience. Downtown we do not appear to have clay-like soil, but my house (1900s) is so old and the ground has been amended so much that it's hard for me to determine exactly the type of soil. When we moved in I had to remove a lot of rock as my backyard had been used as a gravel parking spot for an RV.

Old 04-07-2018, 12:26 PM

5,005 posts, read 6,681,120 times
Well I live only one mile from my parents' house and while their soil is mostly clay mine is a sandy soil. Maybe you'll find this useful: https://www.nrcs.usda.gov/Internet/F...5/0/elpaso.pdf

Old 04-07-2018, 02:44 PM

608 posts, read 319,980 times
Both houses we've bought (one East of Powers, one in SW Central) have had both "sand," and, "silty sand," listed on the geographical survey done by the builder with a low possiblity for movement.

I think this can change relatively quickly, and evidently we have a problem with mine shafts in certain areas and resulting sink holes or movement when they collapse...there was a map posted here awhile ago I believe. This impacts certain areas more than others.

Old 04-07-2018, 04:01 PM

2,668 posts, read 1,668,301 times
Cos is much closer to the mountains than Denver is, so we tend to have a wider variety of soils. We do have expansive clay, as well as a variety of sandy and sandy loams, alluvial areas, and some particularly rocky areas as well.

The mine risks mentioned above are only found in the Rockrimmon, Austin Bluffs, and Palmer Park areas. Although, a modern equivilent would be building on the side of our many foothills or bluffs with dormant water in drought years that can become active again and create very large subuction zones, which often time contain houses or will slide into houses.

Old 04-07-2018, 04:35 PM

4,327 posts, read 4,350,986 times
My own experiences wrt soils:

1. Moved into Rockrimmon (foothills area) in 1977. Much of the area had clay (bentonite, expansive) soils. Freaked me out that foundations could move! Left after 5 years.

2. Moved to Briargate in 1983, sand soils clear to China! If you build a foundation with a footer and you keep water drainage away from the foundation, the soils are stable. I still live there. No problemo!

I had a friend who was a house inspector. We inspected quite a few houses built higher up on the foothills, e.g. Peregrine, that were built on granite. The soils don't move but they sometimes have radon problems.

Old 04-08-2018, 07:04 PM

924 posts, read 1,030,894 times
Container gardening is the way to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or