Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 04:22 AM

7,179 posts, read 9,304,358 times

Advertisements

Colorado Springs tops Denver to rank No. 2 in magazine's Best Places to Live list | Colorado Springs Gazette, News

"Colorado Springs topped Denver to take the second-place ranking, behind Austin, Texas, in this year's list of "Best Places to Live" by U.S. News & World Report magazine.

Colorado's second-largest city moved up nine places from 11th last year, while Denver fell one place in the rankings for the second consecutive year.

Austin topped the rankings this year and last year after Denver finished first in the inaugural list. Colorado Springs ranked sixth in 2016."

I have mixed feelings about lists like this. Although I agree that Colorado Springs is s great place to live, lists like this just attract more people with more vehicles that overwhelm our roads.

I read somewhere that we currently have about 12K people per year moving into El Paso county. I'm also sure we have people moving out who can no longer afford to live here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2018, 05:10 AM

6,813 posts, read 10,508,707 times
I'm born and raised here and I love it here, although there are things I don't like too. But if I were looking for a new place to live, I wouldn't want a place that has a hot real estate market - I'd want a place with more bang for the buck where you at least feel like you're getting in on a great place before everyone and their brother is trying to get there.

Old 04-11-2018, 07:12 AM

1,013 posts, read 976,900 times
You have two choices - live in a nice place which will become popular and crowded and expensive, or live in an undesirable place.

Btw, I’m waiting for all the negative comments from the lurkers who moved away and still post here.

Old 04-11-2018, 07:31 AM

9,520 posts, read 16,501,246 times
My view is a Best Place Lists is an individual preference. A Best Place List you can bet is benefiting investors. and Real Estate Brokers. It doesn't benefit residents as populations moving in, overwhelm communities and states. Austin as well as Denver are prime examples of how, massive growth impacts residents. Constant traffic and ridiculous COL are the results.

Just take a trip to Florida cities, if you want to see what Best Place Lists create. Florida isn't making the list much anymore, other than Best Beach List.

Believe me Colorado Springs would be better off, to remain somewhat invisible to those than publish these lists. Of course we know things don't work that way. So get ready for constant population growth, and all that follows.

Good Luck

Old 04-11-2018, 09:34 AM

834 posts, read 743,524 times
Colorado Springs is wonderful.

I love the variety of activities, closeness to things we probably wouldn't have driven to from Denver (Sand Dunes, North Pole, Georgetown, Buena Vista, etc. etc.) and we have a healthy military presence which keeps things moving a bit. Variety of restaurants, outdoor activities, parks and a very nice Zoo!

There are a few things I find odd and miss about living in Denver, but overall it feels very easy to live here.

Except, maybe not for renters and first time home buyers...at least not much longer.

I'm hoping traffic doesn't get much worse...but also that non military contract/mega church/retail jobs see growth and that the more blighted areas see lots of improvements.

And, "hello equity," I pray. We'd like to move again in the next few years, and maybe next time we can actually put 20% down.

Old 04-11-2018, 09:36 AM

834 posts, read 743,524 times
And, it's not totally controlled by *leftists. Hopefully it stays that way.

Old 04-11-2018, 09:52 AM

4,026 posts, read 2,710,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Colorado Springs tops Denver to rank No. 2 in magazine's Best Places to Live list | Colorado Springs Gazette, News

"Colorado Springs topped Denver to take the second-place ranking, behind Austin, Texas, in this year's list of "Best Places to Live" by U.S. News & World Report magazine.

Colorado's second-largest city moved up nine places from 11th last year, while Denver fell one place in the rankings for the second consecutive year.

Austin topped the rankings this year and last year after Denver finished first in the inaugural list. Colorado Springs ranked sixth in 2016."

I have mixed feelings about lists like this. Although I agree that Colorado Springs is s great place to live, lists like this just attract more people with more vehicles that overwhelm our roads.

I read somewhere that we currently have about 12K people per year moving into El Paso county. I'm also sure we have people moving out who can no longer afford to live here.
I bolded the above because I wanted to point out that unlike Denver/Denver County, El Paso county is more than just Colorado Springs. Case in point--a friend of mine (lifelong Denverite) and her husband recently moved to El Paso County....but to a rural area, easily an hour's drive away. While I doubt that all 12K folk moving into El Paso County are moving to the smaller towns (undoubtedly most are going to the Springs, which definitely would put a strain on resources), El Paso county has more room to expand than what Denver/Denver County does.

Old 04-11-2018, 05:24 PM

79 posts, read 82,312 times
I was born and raised in Denver; moved here last year for a job. I would love to buy a home - I like the Springs more than Denver, so it's frustrating to watch prices escalate beyond my reach. I'm beginning to look at areas further out in the county, though I don't want a long commute.

Traffic in Denver is insane. I hope it doesn't get that bad here, though I suppose I added to the problem when I moved here.

Old 04-11-2018, 11:24 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,122,453 times
So it sounds like the increase came mostly from an improving job market and wages? That's good to hear. Previously I had felt like that was one of the biggest things holding the city back, at least for people who didn't have the skillset required for the defense and related sectors.

Hopefully more people are finding jobs in the Springs and giving up that life shortening commute from the Springs to Denver.

Old 04-12-2018, 07:28 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,384,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Believe me Colorado Springs would be better off, to remain somewhat invisible to those than publish these lists. Of course we know things don't work that way. So get ready for constant population growth, and all that follows.

Good Luck
Thank you, but the fact of the matter is the COS's population has increased by double digit percentages every decade since its founding (well, except for 1890 at 163% and 1920 at 3.5%).

Things like this are a confirmation of what many of us have believed by living here. Reports like may alter the total number moving in for a bit, although I doubt people will move here simply because of this report, but it may be a tie breaker for some who are on the fence. We have always been dealing with the growth, so in that regard it is not significantly different, IMO.

Yes we already have some sprawl, strip malls, cookie cutter neighborhoods and chain stores. But this influx has also bought a broader range of people and preferences, more recreation, more diversity in food, more festivals, and higher employment. Are we the perfect place, far from it. But we are building a good base to continue to grow from and it would seem a lot of people, and entities, agree with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
So it sounds like the increase came mostly from an improving job market and wages? That's good to hear. Previously I had felt like that was one of the biggest things holding the city back, at least for people who didn't have the skillset required for the defense and related sectors.

Hopefully more people are finding jobs in the Springs and giving up that life shortening commute from the Springs to Denver.
We are seeing improvement across the board but defense and civilian defense contractors are still large and in charge. I'm actually seeing some Denver companies coming to town or opening for recruitment efforts within the military areas to assist with transitions to civilian work force. Right now they are trying to transition these people to Denver, so hopefully COS official see these opportunities and works on transitioning some of this work from NorCo to Cos and Pueblo. We also are seeing some significant engagement with D49 and D11 school districts in creating non college oriented career pathways for students. There is a boom in skilled based training programs happening in these districts as they realize not all students are college material. This is creating waves already in entry level service and manufacturing parts of the economy. If the Springs can learn to play nice with Pueblo in infrastructure and employment recruiting and begin to work together, I could see only continued and sustained growth on the horizon.

Last edited by TCHP; 04-12-2018 at 07:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs