U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2018, 07:20 AM

2,864 posts, read 7,095,361 times

Advertisements

What day everyone? Myself, Iím crossing my fingers that this actually happens. Itís about time we get a real bike park that isnít a 2 hour drive way. Super excited!

https://www.outtherecolorado.com/wor...orado-springs/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2018, 09:29 AM

5,003 posts, read 6,678,903 times
This deal is associated with granting them the quarry down at Hitch Rack Ranch, which is adjacent to Aiken Canyon with Little Turkey Creek going through it, and greatly opposed by all neighbors and environmental groups. If you don't know, the Aiken Canyon is a Nature Conservancy project because of its importance and uniqueness as habitat and watershed, and the quarry being put adjacent to it would basically ruin all those efforts - let alone the traffic, pollution, noise, etc., concerns of the neighbors. So as much as I support the idea of the bike park, I do not support the deal of tying it to approving the other quarry. I think this is a very dirty deal they're trying to pull off and it makes me furious. There is much more to this story than meets the eye at first and the Gazette is actively supporting this quarry so they're not necessarily doing appropriate coverage of all that is at stake here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE_sV2I_il4

https://stopthehrrquarry.org/

Last edited by otowi; 04-15-2018 at 09:43 AM..

Old 04-15-2018, 09:56 AM

2,974 posts, read 2,394,807 times
So KRDO ran a story on this, and they interviewed my dad: http://www.krdo.com/news/colorado-sp...ings/725163735

Best quote, "It's very exciting to think it could be right in your own backyard," said Brian Polacdk, an avid mountain biker. Dad hasn't been on a mountain bike in years... And they spelled the last name wrong

He was landscaping in the area and he happened to be available for a news interview. In the video footage (I can't find it any more) they say a lot of other things that are just wrong, like that the park is a few blocks away from Brian's house and other things like that. It was a bit of an eye opener to how much the news just kind of writes their own stories.

About the park itself, I think it'd be awesome to have more mountain bike paths, but it'd be nice to know that the area was actually cleaned up and reclaimed as it should be. CO Springs already has like x2 the bike trails as Denver (and the trails are a lot better too), but this addition would make it even better. CO Springs should advertise their mountain bikability more.

Old 04-15-2018, 04:33 PM

The latest article talks more about the trade deal and also puts the whole thing into doubt over landslide concerns.....Pikeview Quarry's history of rockslides raises doubts about bike park proposal | Colorado Springs Gazette, News

http://gazette.com/guest-column-time...24390#cxrecs_s Skorman guest column

Old 04-17-2018, 07:45 AM

2,668 posts, read 1,666,689 times
Looking at all the natural landslides in this quarry, I'd be highly concerned about that aspect. It would be very cool to have such a park nearby but the quarry exchange aspect of it could kill the whole deal.

Old 04-28-2018, 03:13 AM

Well, the enviro-terrorists got their way. Enjoy looking at the Pikeview scar for at least the next 20 years.

https://www.outtherecolorado.com/sta...l-paso-county/

Old 04-28-2018, 03:16 AM

It’s a catch 22. I certainly don’t advocate for the destruction of wildlife areas, but the quarry needs to go somewhere.

There has to be a place for them to go that won’t get everyone’s panties in a bunch. We NEED aggregate.

Old 04-28-2018, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
Itís a catch 22. I certainly donít advocate for the destruction of wildlife areas, but the quarry needs to go somewhere.

There has to be a place for them to go that wonít get everyoneís panties in a bunch. We NEED aggregate.
I believe the studies used in analyzing the proposal showed they actually have plenty of nearby quarries nowhere near to capacity currently. So there simply is not a strong need for a new quarry. Even if there were, the particular location they were looking at was a lot more problematic than others they could have chosen both for environmental reasons and for quality of life for the local neighbors, etc.

Simply put, they can find another place.

And if they wanted to do the bike park - guess what - they still could. No reason it has to be a bargaining chip to manipulate people into voting for something that is otherwise a bad choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or