U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2018, 10:47 AM

680 posts, read 407,078 times

Advertisements

As of now, I will be the one supporting till she finds another job that she is not as stressful in - so I am doing my best to encourage her and guide her to find something she will....well enjoy in a way.

I know a job is a job, and it is never fun, but she has given up teaching and no longer wants to be a teacher. Just seems the BS she goes through is not worth it, and her health (stress wise)

She has about 6 years experience of teaching and does not want to be in the field anymore.

do you guys know what someone with a BS degree in teaching can do in COS? does not need to be a ton of money for her; she is happy making 10 - 20 an hour; but something to keep her busy.

Any job title recommendations? or is a BS degree in teaching pretty much stuck in this field?

companies that favor "ex" teachers? etc

appreciate it!

Last edited by willc86; 04-18-2018 at 11:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2018, 11:15 AM

5,006 posts, read 6,683,532 times
She might work for a tutor center such as Sylvan Learning Center. I think it pays about $15/hour but the hours tend to be low and, of course, after school. Or be a homebound tutor for a school district - you go to the homes of kids who are too ill to be in school and tutor them a few hours a week. She could be a substitute teacher and pick just the jobs and days she wants. She could consider working as a Special Education aide with special needs students in a school.

If she wants to do something completely out of education, if she has a degree in education as opposed to an actual content major (CO requires one major in a content area and the teacher license is on top of that, there is no such thing as an education major BS/BA degree in Colorado), I heard there are almost always call center jobs that offer benefits about pay about what she is asking.

Old 04-18-2018, 11:20 AM

2,176 posts, read 5,412,896 times
I'm not in COS, but I work for a large-ish company and we have a corporate training department, with instructors who provide in-person training on a variety of topics. Maybe something like that is worth looking into? Also, there's always the temp agency option. You can get a taste of working in a variety of office environments and sometimes may just stumble into something awesome that becomes full-time employment.

Old 04-18-2018, 12:43 PM

2,771 posts, read 3,457,677 times
other jobs for ex teachers - Google Search

Old 04-18-2018, 01:15 PM

4,330 posts, read 4,354,278 times
Focus on skills, not just degrees.

What does she like to do?

Old 04-18-2018, 07:39 PM

649 posts, read 341,042 times
Willing to go back to school?

Old 04-18-2018, 08:34 PM

6,154 posts, read 9,443,336 times
Don't know how easy the transition would be, but has she ever thought about being a business analyst?

Old 04-19-2018, 07:08 AM

2,668 posts, read 1,669,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
I'm not in COS, but I work for a large-ish company and we have a corporate training department, with instructors who provide in-person training on a variety of topics. Maybe something like that is worth looking into? Also, there's always the temp agency option. You can get a taste of working in a variety of office environments and sometimes may just stumble into something awesome that becomes full-time employment.
I was thinking corporate training as well, since she can still staying in the "teaching" aspect of her career without as much political and social malaise.

You might also consider registering with Flex Jobs online and seeing if some remote teaching opportunities are out there for her. This is a pay service for access, but is much cheaper than using a head hunter and will provide her access to remote work opportunities from around the nation.

Old 04-29-2018, 04:32 PM

29 posts, read 15,192 times
She could become an RBT (registered behavior technician) and work with children who have autism. She would make her own schedule and work the hours she chooses to. She would be working with the child 1:1, typically in the home providing ABA services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or