U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 11:40 AM

9,744 posts, read 6,273,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daprara View Post
i am not real keen on cities that have built reputation of not being accepting.
Well you can take the book at face value if you like. But I've found that places I have lived with a "reputation" for conservatism, it was not really like that if you scratched the surface, people were in fact more accepting that one would expect. (Not just here, various places I've lived.) Those cities with the progressive image, were not always that progressive in fact. Sometimes you have to live somewhere a little bit and get to know the people some, to get an accurate idea.

Someone mentioned people praying in restaurants. I mean, look...I have gone to eat at the CRACKER BARREL of all places, way up at the north end of Academy, just minutes from the Focus on the Family and New Life Church properties right? I've been there many times, it's one of our regular places to go eat. If I was going to run into the Bible-thumpers, it was gonna be there. I did not see anything of the sort. I ignored the country music and enjoyed the fried apples (worth it, they're stupid delicious.)

This place is beautiful, it's fun, and people are nice.

But yes, rent is high, and always getting higher...word is out, and our city is growing. Many of the locals are not so thrilled about that. Understandably, since a.) They don't really want it to be like Denver, or a larger city...and b.) we have limited resources such as water, humans contribute to fire danger, and more people means worse traffic, etc.

Nevertheless, I've never had someone be nasty to me for coming here, and I think the same locals will sigh and be nice anyways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 01:30 PM

2,668 posts, read 1,669,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daprara View Post
i am not real keen on cities that have built reputation of not being accepting.
Denver was run by the KKK at one point in its history, yet very few know that and even fewer concern themselves with it now. Cos has had some very vocal mouthpieces of conservative evangelical groups in its past, yet some seem to think we still cling to that legacy. Perhaps because it is more recent, it is harder to overlook. Give it time. Cities, just like people, change and evolve over time. Heck, at one time, Colo Sprgs was more of an artists city like Sante Fe is now. Sadly, we lost that aspect of ourselves.

Despite our reputation, I would have to go into a dedicated book store or visit one of the Christian retailers to find theological books. When I was in central Florida recently, every grocery store had evangelical magazines and books right at the check out stand.

Old 05-01-2018, 06:19 PM

926 posts, read 1,031,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
Denver was run by the KKK at one point in its history, yet very few know that and even fewer concern themselves with it now. Cos has had some very vocal mouthpieces of conservative evangelical groups in its past, yet some seem to think we still cling to that legacy. Perhaps because it is more recent, it is harder to overlook. Give it time. Cities, just like people, change and evolve over time. Heck, at one time, Colo Sprgs was more of an artists city like Sante Fe is now. Sadly, we lost that aspect of ourselves.

Despite our reputation, I would have to go into a dedicated book store or visit one of the Christian retailers to find theological books. When I was in central Florida recently, every grocery store had evangelical magazines and books right at the check out stand.
Compliments of Anita Bryant.

Old 05-01-2018, 06:25 PM

It's gotten tiring trying to explain that we are not the label put upon us by a "chosen few" years ago. Trying to overcome a reputation that was forged by Focus and others has become our mantra whenever people wanting to move here come to the forums.

We've given it time ... and it would seem more time is needed still.

Old 05-02-2018, 08:12 AM

2,668 posts, read 1,669,907 times
More time indeed. It will pass, much like our label of Silicon Mountain has passed. It just may be a bit more stubborn to overcome, especially when local politicians push legislation like "The Teacher Punishment bill".

Old 05-02-2018, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
More time indeed. It will pass, much like our label of Silicon Mountain has passed. It just may be a bit more stubborn to overcome, especially when local politicians push legislation like "The Teacher Punishment bill".
It will pass .... I guess someday, probably in a future I won't be around to see. And yeah, jailing teachers is always a good idea.

Old 05-02-2018, 07:19 PM

32,799 posts, read 30,052,880 times
Denver had gay bars back in the 70 and 80s and they always had the best music. I'm not seeing what the big worry is.

Why do people think the springs is some lynch mob, it's just dumb. The base attracts people from all over the US.

Old 05-02-2018, 07:32 PM

They think that because of the press this city received back in the early 1990's re Amendment 2. There never was a big worry before; but it lingers ... it just lingers. The moniker of "hate state" ... it's been hard to shrug off.

Last edited by mtngigi; 05-02-2018 at 07:43 PM.. Reason: added text

Old 05-03-2018, 10:55 AM

9,744 posts, read 6,273,073 times
Sure, the military bases attract people from all over the US, but the military can be a bit more on the conservative side. Then there's the (sometimes laughably overblown) hooplah about the evangelical organizations. Seriously I'm up north myself, and even though they are headquartered up here, I literally NEVER have unpleasant run-ins with any churchy folks. We used to have a weird guy on a bike with his "end is nigh" signage, on north Academy near the mall, but he's been vanished off elsewhere for a while. This district does tend to vote red... But I still think it's more about people who are basically libertarian and they're voting more based on fiscal policy, than social ideologies.

Except this last time around. Where all of a sudden a bunch of tax levies passed.

I am VERY keen to see what happens this November. But I will spare everyone my speculations.

So as to the question posed to us, I feel like pretty much all of Colorado Springs is safe for a person to be LGBTQ+ or at least not unsafe because of that (since some neighborhoods are nicer than others, but we don't actually have a REALLY bad "ghetto" type neighborhood like many other cities do.) You are more likely to encounter annoyance than danger even in our less great neighborhoods.

Liberal though? So-so. Some parts of town are more liberal, but even those that aren't, it's mostly about "Don't tax me or take my guns" and not as much of the nastiness we've seen from other areas, discrimination and the such.

Old 05-03-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Sure, the military bases attract people from all over the US, but the military can be a bit more on the conservative side. Then there's the (sometimes laughably overblown) hooplah about the evangelical organizations. Seriously I'm up north myself, and even though they are headquartered up here, I literally NEVER have unpleasant run-ins with any churchy folks. We used to have a weird guy on a bike with his "end is nigh" signage, on north Academy near the mall, but he's been vanished off elsewhere for a while. This district does tend to vote red... But I still think it's more about people who are basically libertarian and they're voting more based on fiscal policy, than social ideologies.

Except this last time around. Where all of a sudden a bunch of tax levies passed.

I am VERY keen to see what happens this November. But I will spare everyone my speculations.

So as to the question posed to us, I feel like pretty much all of Colorado Springs is safe for a person to be LGBTQ+ or at least not unsafe because of that (since some neighborhoods are nicer than others, but we don't actually have a REALLY bad "ghetto" type neighborhood like many other cities do.) You are more likely to encounter annoyance than danger even in our less great neighborhoods.

Liberal though? So-so. Some parts of town are more liberal, but even those that aren't, it's mostly about "Don't tax me or take my guns" and not as much of the nastiness we've seen from other areas, discrimination and the such.

You're right on about all that. If you live here, you know there are no problems. If you don't live here, all you hear about is all that stuff that contributed to/gave the Springs it's bad reputation. So many threads from people looking to move here start out with questions relating to that reputation, so as I mentioned before ... it still lingers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or