U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 12:39 PM

8 posts, read 5,185 times

Advertisements

Hi. I am part of the LGBTQ community and am moving to Colorado in the near future. I am looking into Colorado Springs, I visited it here once and really enjoyed it. However, I know nothing about the scene and safety. I want to live in a safe, quiet area. I am moving from outside of NYC so I am used to fast paced, busy lifestyle from everyone that lives here but definitely can't wait to leave this behind and slow down. How busy is the lifestyle in Colorado Springs? What areas are most diverse and the safest within 15-20 minutes of Colorado Springs. Thanks for your replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2018, 12:49 PM

20,301 posts, read 37,784,136 times
Lived there 2005-2016. Not much of a pace there compared to NYC. Small GLBT presence. I don't recall anything unsafe, just a cold shoulder from the evangelical contingent on the far north end of the city. The city who won't acknowledge the annual Pride Parade. Denver is where the action is in every way, including GLBT matters. The city center, west side (aka OCC) and Manitou seem more your speed. Much more affordable than the NYC area. Low property taxes.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-25-2018, 01:38 PM

5,003 posts, read 6,678,903 times
We have some other threads on this topic if you can find them in a search. The general consensus seems to be that Colorado Springs does not have a particularly vibrant LBGTQ community but there definitely is a presence here and most people feel safe most of the time; and that the West side of town such as Old Colorado City, Manitou Springs, etc., seems to have more of a welcoming vibe for all sorts of "different" folks including those who ID as LBGTQ.

Old 04-25-2018, 01:50 PM

9,734 posts, read 6,265,376 times
I think you could live pretty much anywhere and be ok. I think that the evangelists...they are a loud minority. I'm a pretty "colorful" character and I've never had an issue with 'em. I live and work on the North side.

Let the city try to ignore it all they like, but the Pride parade and festivities are not bad here, I mean, last time I was able to participate, they had America the Beautiful Park full of vendors and tents, and I actually took part in the parade with a group. (I'm one of the 'B' folks from the LGBT.) Furthermore, I'm part of a big, thriving Leather community that is totally above-board with a club that the city knows about and has no problem with. Denver is even bigger and even more celebratory of the community and Pride, but you lose the "small city charm" living up there.

I really feel that the "conservative" image is overrated, despite how this area votes. And hey, Misty Plowright actually did pretty darn good for a transwoman running in a traditionally "red" district, in 2016. She got like 34% of the vote for the House of Reps seat, I do believe. And last year, a whole bunch of more leftish policy and tax items passed that I was really surprised about. Most of the so-called conservatives I know, are in fact more libertarian in ideology than anything. And I work for a big office, an international accounting and software firm, and it's a very non-discriminatory environment. I've had several openly gay coworkers over the years here. So. There are some "country" types here, but they aren't a dominating factor, or oppressive, if that makes sense?

I would not make your sexual orientation the biggest factor in what part of town to choose, as I don't think any area here is better or worse particularly because of that. I would rather ask you what your living situation and budget and such are like. Are you thinking apartment, townhome, rental house, or property purchase? Older or newer place? Big, medium, or small budget? What part of town would you be working or going to school in? Would you rather live right in a city-ish neighborhood, or out in the country a bit? In general, some of the less safe areas (for anyone) are the vicinity of the Citadel Mall, or southeast-central, bordered approximately by Milton E. Proby Pkwy to the south, Powers to the east, Constitution to the north, and Union to the west. There are, however, considerable pockets of nice, quiet neighborhoods right in the middle of all that. I would however be especially wary of apartment complexes in that region. Then there's a bit of area near the north end of Fort Carson, around B Street, and Nevada, that is also pretty rough.

I recommend you do a Google street view tour of any area that interests you. Nice, safe areas have well maintained landscaping and structures, more often than not. That can be one clue. Otherwise... Security-Widefield and Fountain have lots of blue collar and military families. I love the downtown and surrounding neighborhoods like Shook's Run, Old North End (which is pricey and good luck ever finding anything available there!) and Patty Jewett. Older homes, so the well kept ones are gems, the neglected ones need rescue. The North side, while sure, there are those pesky evangelicals, they are easy to ignore, I'd think of it more like "new money." Lots of development, nice homes, the apartment complexes on the north side can be pretty nice. Tons of shopping and big chain restaurants. Powers corridor is kind of like that, too, though I know of at least one apt complex out that way that should be avoided, I've heard horror stories from a past tenant. West side is more "old money" (or so it was explained to me when I moved here) especially down around the Broadmoor. Skyview is a pretty nice neighborhood, but be wary of buying property there, the soil is bad and cracking foundations can be a problem. Old Colorado City is fun, it's like an "Old Town" kind of place with little galleries and fun bars, and cute older homes. Manitou Springs is kind of like that, too, but more hippie-ish and funky and artsy. Be aware with OCC & Manitou, flash flooding can be a problem sometimes, and there are tourist events at various parts of the year that bring traffic (foot and car) challenges for residents. Also be aware that if you live in a forested area, we do have wildfires here.

Old 04-25-2018, 03:37 PM

4,253 posts, read 3,949,899 times
You may feel most comfortable in the Manitou Springs/OCC areas. As others have noted, while Manitou is not especially famous for its LGBT scene, quite a few of the area's LGBT folks choose to live in the Manitou area. It's turned itself into a fairly open minded art colony and all sorts are attracted to the scene going on in Manitou. Years ago when I was still living in the Pikes Peak Region, I had a couple of unpleasant run-ins with overly zealous fundamentalists (just because - I'm not gay). But people tell me that such run-ins are rare now a days. Come on out and visit and see what you think!

Old 04-25-2018, 04:00 PM

20,301 posts, read 37,784,136 times
Manitou is also the only place in El Paso County with rec MJ. The city of COLO SPGS has medical MJ all over but not rec MJ.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-25-2018, 04:21 PM

9,734 posts, read 6,265,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Manitou is also the only place in El Paso County with rec MJ. The city of COLO SPGS has medical MJ all over but not rec MJ.
That is true...but the OP did not indicate whether they enjoy MJ or not.

And it can be obtained and taken home to consume no matter where in the area one lives, if one is so inclined.

One thing, OP, that you will find in this area is that compared to NYC and the East Coast, people are FAR more friendly. More casually friendly, but not fake about it. If you have lived in the east your whole life, you might actually find it uncomfortable and strange at first. Over time, if you stay, you'll find that your defenses can relax and you can really enjoy how nice people are, and that feels awesome. (I only say this speaking from my own experience of moving away from the DC area.)

Old 04-25-2018, 06:10 PM

645 posts, read 339,418 times
Out of ignorance I ask, are there areas that are unsafe to lgbt, but safe to others?

Old 04-26-2018, 08:10 AM

2,668 posts, read 1,664,846 times
Generally speaking, I'd say no. We don't have a large amount of hate crime here. While we do have a percentage of evangelicals here, they tend to not be violent. Most other places around town are pretty indifferent about it. Central and west side simply tend to be more attractive to a wider variety of lifestyles.

IMO, the lack of distinctly LBGT neighborhoods means acceptance is more mainstream than one might think. As pointed out above, we don't necessarily have "a scene" but we have a higher percentage than most would think.

Old 04-26-2018, 10:45 AM

924 posts, read 1,030,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainboy529 View Post
Hi. I am part of the LGBTQ community and am moving to Colorado in the near future. I am looking into Colorado Springs, I visited it here once and really enjoyed it. However, I know nothing about the scene and safety. I want to live in a safe, quiet area. I am moving from outside of NYC so I am used to fast paced, busy lifestyle from everyone that lives here but definitely can't wait to leave this behind and slow down. How busy is the lifestyle in Colorado Springs? What areas are most diverse and the safest within 15-20 minutes of Colorado Springs. Thanks for your replies.
You should definitely do a forum search, as someone suggested ... there are many posts concerning your question.

It's Colorado, which in general is more laid-back than "back east". It's a "mountain" lifestyle, way different than what you're used to in NYC. And it's mostly safe everywhere. I'm from New England and when I came out here years ago, I was struck by how different "bad" areas of the city where compared to what I was familiar with. In Colorado Springs, all areas of the city were okay (to my eyes). Yes, some areas better than others, but even what some would call the worst parts, weren't all that bad.

I believe (but have nothing to back it up), that diversity is all over the place here, only some folks aren't aware of it because people pretty much mind their own business and go about their lives. Others will chime in and disagree. But I agree that the northern and northeast parts of the city would not be your cup of tea.

The west side and Manitou Springs would probably suit you very well. Be aware that Manitou Springs has become a very busy little tourist town that now gets a lot crazier in the summertime than it used to. It's always been a tourist town, but it's promoted itself so well, that it's booming. It's a mostly liberal-leaning town, but there are several ministries located here as well. Again, I have not found that people get all up in each others business.

The gay parade thing someone mentioned seems to be dependent (sometimes) on the current mayor/city council ... Colorado Springs has had very tolerant and open-minded mayors in the past, like Mary Lou Makepeace.

I think you'll be fine wherever you land. Do not believe everything you read - including here on city-data.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or