U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 07:28 AM

379 posts, read 179,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
Half the people here are from somewhere else, so I guess we attract cheapskates with no landscaping imagination that blend in well with locally raise tightwads with no vision.

I see more and more people reducing their green space. Some do great jobs of creating varied textures, terrain, and plants. Some spread rocks. Some just let their grass die. Certainly taking the time, effort, and money to create a really attractive xeriscape is something some folks don't care to expend.

Some folks cannot afford to xeriscape. When I lived in Colorado Springs I was quoted over 3k to dig up my small front yard that was not including the rocks. Its not cheapskates , it costs a lot to maintain a decent yard in Colorado , either sprinkling or xeriscape. I had to let my lawn die. I could not justify sprinkling my lawn ,it was a never ending battle . I do agree with you that most people are from elsewhere and have no clue how much work it takes to keep a decent lawn in Colorado. I came from Tennessee where we have no underground sprinkler systems because we have so much rain. I did see some beautiful xeriscape lawns in Colorado though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2018, 02:46 PM

808 posts, read 1,175,939 times
I've heard what the OP describes entertainingly called "zero-scape" which essentially costs next to nothing and typically looks somewhere between ghastly and hideous.

As compared with "xeriscape" which tends to look lovely and climate-appropriate but costs close to a fortune to have professionally done. In my case, we're "blessed" with vast swaths of Kentucky-blugrass with mature roots that go back to the original owners of the house in 1965. I've taken out maybe 100 square feet with a shovel - that took dozens of hours and might be the most physically demanding project I've ever tackled.

My options seem to be as follows: (A) likely pay tens of thousands of dollars to have the remaining bluegrass removed and replaced with a nice xeriscape or (B) likely pay thousands of dollars to have the remaining bluegrass removed and replaced with a hideous zero-scape of ghastly rocks or (C) leave the status quo and either (i) water occasionally or (ii) let the grass stay brown and look like most of my neighbor's ugly unkempt yards in our upscale neighborhood.

Our neighborhood is "just" upscale and has very few manicured yards, either bluegrass or xeriscape. The only neighborhoods I see with consistently nice manicured yards are the Broadmoor and Wood Ave in the Old North End - that's basically it. Everywhere else in COS is pretty much dirt, dead-ish grass, weeds, or some variation of zero-scape rocks dumped all over a front yard. Not a lot of folks are willing to put time, effort, or money toward yard maintenance in this town. Not complaining, just observing.

Old 04-30-2018, 03:26 PM

649 posts, read 341,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smdensbcs View Post

Our neighborhood is "just" upscale and has very few manicured yards, either bluegrass or xeriscape. The only neighborhoods I see with consistently nice manicured yards are the Broadmoor and Wood Ave in the Old North End - that's basically it. Everywhere else in COS is pretty much dirt, dead-ish grass, weeds, or some variation of zero-scape rocks dumped all over a front yard. Not a lot of folks are willing to put time, effort, or money toward yard maintenance in this town. Not complaining, just observing.
You need to get out more, lol. I would struggle to think of any area north of Woodman that isnít full of reasonably well maintained yards.

Old 04-30-2018, 03:33 PM

2,668 posts, read 1,669,907 times
Hence my comments - cheapskates with no imagination and tightwads with no vision. We got plenty of each both homegrown residents and transplants. I'm one of them myself.

It takes money, time, or effort, to create something that is nice whether it is a house, yard, etc. Pick which two efforts you're willing to put in and get to it. Or let it be. Which seems to be the default standard.

I've been reducing my turf coverage steadily over the years myself. I'd say have only 30% of the grass left that was present when I bought my house. Its been a slow conversion over time as I'm willing to throw effort at it. I'm too cheap to pay someone to do it, although that is the quickest and easiest way to get there. So I've spent some time at the CSU gardens, learned a bit about other options and have worked at converting everything myself. I've sourced materials from my own remodeling efforts and craigslist and snagged plants at local providers when on sale to to keep costs down. I've got a large xeriscape in my front yard splits the space 50/50 with turf. The back is a combination of open spaced pavers, above ground gardens, flagstones, and some turf. As much as I'd like to get rid of it all, I still enjoy at least a small bit of grass, but I've cut my water consumption quite a bit with that approach. But then again, I live in the Old North End, so perhaps I've succumbed to peer pressure.

Old 04-30-2018, 06:25 PM

574 posts, read 623,909 times
I'm also too cheap to pay a landscaper, plus I enjoy planting things and working outdoors! When I bought my house, the yard had some landscaping rock but otherwise was nothing but weeds and siberian elms coming up everywhere -- no lawn and no other plantings beyond a few pine trees that the previous owners hadn't managed to kill. By doing it a little at a time over a period of 3-4 years, I got the whole thing cleaned up, built terraced planting beds, etc. I did every bit of labor myself and also hauled in the additional rocks and soil amendments and stuff piecewise using only my own (small) car. So it was a big job overall, but by doing it piecewise it became much more manageable.

I'd say that if converting your whole yard to xeriscape looks like too big of a job to tackle, don't. Instead, just pick out a smaller area where you'd like to put in a planting bed or a garden path, and expand further as you have time and motivation to do more.

Old 04-30-2018, 06:35 PM

2,976 posts, read 2,396,993 times
What some people consider naturalistic landscaping others consider an overgrown weed patch. If you want it to look nice (even if you try to mimic the natural yucca / grass / pine look) it's going to take maintenance. Rock really doesn't. You have to spray it for weeds.

Old 04-30-2018, 06:39 PM

4,330 posts, read 4,354,278 times
Some cheapskates and tightwads have little money left after spending it all on an overpriced house.

Old 04-30-2018, 07:56 PM

649 posts, read 341,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Some cheapskates and tightwads have little money left after spending it all on an overpriced house.
If you think homes are overpriced, you donít understand real estate. As they say, they donít make more real estate. Prices go up and down but the long term trend is up. Population increases and all those people need a place to live.
I thought the Home I bought in 1996 for 300k was overpriced. Itís now worth a million.

Old 05-01-2018, 06:13 AM

5,006 posts, read 6,683,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little pink View Post
Some folks cannot afford to xeriscape. When I lived in Colorado Springs I was quoted over 3k to dig up my small front yard that was not including the rocks. Its not cheapskates , it costs a lot to maintain a decent yard in Colorado , either sprinkling or xeriscape. I had to let my lawn die. I could not justify sprinkling my lawn ,it was a never ending battle . I do agree with you that most people are from elsewhere and have no clue how much work it takes to keep a decent lawn in Colorado. I came from Tennessee where we have no underground sprinkler systems because we have so much rain. I did see some beautiful xeriscape lawns in Colorado though.
I'm a gradual xeriscaper. Rather than doing it all at once, I do a few things a year in that direction.

Old 05-01-2018, 06:31 AM

2,866 posts, read 7,097,466 times
Yea, I love it when someone dumps a ton of rocks in their yard and calls it Xeriscaping ������

Zeroscaping indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs