U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 08:29 AM

1,245 posts, read 1,631,290 times

Advertisements

I'd like to do something with the front yard of the house we bought here so that's why I am noticing how others landscape. I find the rocks covering whole areas kind of depressing though. Adds to the dreary brown effect. Seems like even some spreading juniper ground covers would at least add some green and they seem to be fairly hardy. Still learning...like someone said, one small area at a time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 08:38 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,252,996 times
A gravel yard is still an improvement over irrigated turf. Both are boring and uncreative but the former doesn't require fertilization (releases very strong greenhouse gasses into the atmosphere), mowing (which is still mostly done with gas-powered machinery), and watering (predominately pumped over mountains in eastern Colorado). Most people don't want to spend a lot of time on gardening and yet they've been socialized to ignore the labor that goes along with maintaining a lawn. Perhaps we can all agree that yards are too big - the average lot in the US contains a lot of unused space that has to be filled with something.

Last edited by xeric; 05-01-2018 at 08:47 AM..

Old 05-01-2018, 08:48 AM

574 posts, read 623,583 times
The CSU xeriscaping web site I linked to earlier has a gallery of landscaping examples, if you're looking for inspiration. Some of them are mostly rock and hardscape, some of them have mixed traditional lawn and xeriscape plantings, some of them use native grass as ground cover, etc.

https://waterwiseplants.org/

Old 05-01-2018, 11:48 AM

9,734 posts, read 6,269,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Here in the Phoenix area we have massive amounts of rock landscaping. I have mostly rocks and some astroturf. The golf courses here mostly use reclaimed runoff water.
Whoa! Mike, are you in Phoenix now? My fella and I might wind up down there in a few years (he's got family there.)

It would be weird, you know, I'm from back east, ended up here, you go to Phoenix, it's like I'm following you or something!

lol

Old 05-01-2018, 01:48 PM

20,304 posts, read 37,790,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Whoa! Mike, are you in Phoenix now? My fella and I might wind up down there in a few years (he's got family there.)

It would be weird, you know, I'm from back east, ended up here, you go to Phoenix, it's like I'm following you or something!

lol
At last, I finally got a groupie!
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-02-2018, 07:15 AM

2,976 posts, read 2,395,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
Yea, I love it when someone dumps a ton of rocks in their yard and calls it Xeriscaping ������

Zeroscaping indeed.
If they keep the weeds out, it looks alright. It's not pretty or ugly. It's much better than homes that don't do any landscaping and have dead stuff and weeds all over.

Old 05-02-2018, 09:17 AM

608 posts, read 319,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
If they keep the weeds out, it looks alright. It's not pretty or ugly. It's much better than homes that don't do any landscaping and have dead stuff and weeds all over.
Unless it's a yard full of dandelions.

We had a neighbor with a huge dandelion yard, mowing and watering it like normal.

It was probably 90% dandelions.

Old 05-04-2018, 07:24 AM

2,976 posts, read 2,395,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdefg567 View Post
Unless it's a yard full of dandelions.

We had a neighbor with a huge dandelion yard, mowing and watering it like normal.

It was probably 90% dandelions.
Now that's just cool. A great positivist spin on turning a weed into a flower!

Old 05-04-2018, 08:50 AM

608 posts, read 319,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Now that's just cool. A great positivist spin on turning a weed into a flower!
Google says it's a REAL thing that people aspire to.

Old 05-04-2018, 09:44 AM

2,668 posts, read 1,666,689 times
Well, they do bloom all summer long and aren't the worst looking flowers. Of course the stalks look like heck after they seed.

Back in the day before chemical treatment, by great grandparents would pull them out of the ground with a long fork device, trim the leaves off of them, and put them in salads with other garden greens. They added a taste similar to a spring mix salad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs