U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 10:14 PM

1 posts, read 23,715 times

Advertisements

We consider moving to COS soon.

Is crime a problem in COS and are there areas to avoid in terms of crime?

Thanks a lot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2006, 12:47 PM

619 posts, read 1,306,332 times
Unfortunately, crime can happen anywhere in town. As you may have heard, we recently lost a CSPD Officer. He was gunned down during a routine traffic stop. It was tragic and senseless, but reinforced in my mind that you're not really immune anywhere you go.

I think the common "perception" is that the South side of CS, along Academy Blvd, is a little more prone to crime than areas to the North. The neighborhoods just appear a little more run down and I believe the income levels area a little lower. (I'm trying not to generalize too much).

I used to live in the southside of town (Academy and Hancock) 10 yrs ago and never had any problems; unfortunately, now the same neighborhood is very run down and I wouldn't live there again.

The downtown area is generally pretty safe, even at night. There are folks walking around, having coffee, and enjoying the evenings.

Old 12-13-2006, 03:08 AM

673 posts, read 2,944,528 times
Colorado Springs is a city of 375,000 people but for a such with that population is has a low crime rate. Pueblo 40 miles to Colorado Springs south has a very, very high crime rate though.

In fact Pueblo with 100,000 people had more homicides in 2005 then Colorado Springs did in 2005. 13 in Pueblo and 12 in Colorado Springs.

Colorado Springs doesnt have the social problems and extreme poverty thats very common in Pueblo, so that explains why Colorado Springs is so much safer.

The Southside has more problems then the Northside. But Colorado Springs doesnt have any areas that one would feel unsafe walking during the day.
There are some areas of the Southside mainly along Fountain that have occasional problems, but Colorado Springs doesnt have any very bad areas just some that arent as safe as others.

I think its funny Colorado Springs thinks they have run-down areas, I mean seriously just because every building in a particular area doesnt have a brand-new facade makes it run-down by Colorado Springs standards.

Colorado Springs people are funny! They see a straw wrapper on the sidewalk and think the city is going down-hill. Its hillarious

Old 12-13-2006, 07:30 AM

53 posts, read 340,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDen View Post
They see a straw wrapper on the sidewalk and think the city is going down-hill. Its hillarious
You made me laugh out loud this morning. Thanks.

Crime is not a tremendous problem in CoSpgs. There is some crime, like in any area, but nothing awful. One of my closest friends lives in an area that has the reputation for being crime ridden (near Chelton and Fountain). He has never had any problem. However, his wife does not like to take walks during the day with the kids. It makes her feel uncomfortable. But there is no where that is truly terrible and the houses are more affordable there as a result of the reputation. (140-160k).

Everyplace has advantages.

Last edited by ceadda; 12-13-2006 at 07:34 AM.. Reason: Didn't complete post

Old 12-13-2006, 09:20 PM

650 posts, read 2,084,375 times
Here is a link to the Colorado Springs Police Department. They provide you information on where and what crimes were committed.
http://www.springsgov.com/SectionIndex.asp?SectionID=7 (broken link)
bashep

Old 12-22-2006, 08:08 AM

45 posts, read 238,580 times
After leaving the Springs ten years ago my family and I are preparing to return. While there in November scouting for our move, a man was shot and killed one night outside of a Duncan Donuts. Hearing this on the news started to make me uneasy. Did I really want to move my family back to such a place? Then it dawned on me. The fact that one murder made big news was actually a fairly good sign. In Fort Worth, TX where I am from, one murder would have never made the airwaves. If it made news at all, it would have been page 10 of the local section of the newspaper.

Of course COS has much more crime than where I currently live--a town of 3500 in North Central Idaho. However, that is to be expected. The benefits of moving there far overshadow the chances of being a victim of crime.

Old 11-20-2009, 03:45 PM

2 posts, read 24,217 times
I live on the East Coast and am planning to move to Colorado Springs when my sister and her husband retire there. I saw some beautiful condos called Bell Towers online, but I am concerned that they may be near some crime areas that have been mentioned in this blog. As a single woman, I don't want to have to be worrying about that where I live.

Can anyone tell me about these particular condos and the safety issue for a single woman? Thanks!

Old 11-20-2009, 05:16 PM

366 posts, read 1,060,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah720 View Post
I live on the East Coast and am planning to move to Colorado Springs when my sister and her husband retire there. I saw some beautiful condos called Bell Towers online, but I am concerned that they may be near some crime areas that have been mentioned in this blog. As a single woman, I don't want to have to be worrying about that where I live.

Can anyone tell me about these particular condos and the safety issue for a single woman? Thanks!
If it is: 1110 Bell Tower Hts, Colorado Springs, CO‎ -

I would avoid that area. Fountain and S. Murray is a scary area.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:28 PM

1,313 posts, read 4,950,034 times
Agree with Vision67.

Single women friendly ZIP codes are (not a complete list, just some suggestions):

80918, 80920, 80907, 80922, most of 80917, most of 80915 (northern parts), 80904, 80905, pockets of 80909 and 80903, pockets of 80906. Generally speaking those are north, northeast and west.

I personally prefer 80918, 80920, 80907, 80905/80903 - all of which I have lived in. I lived in 80906 but that was during my high school years so I am kind of "high schoolish" about where to live and not to live in the area.

Here's a pretty good ZIP Code Map:http://www.robertastein.com/COSZipCodeMap.pdf

Old 04-19-2010, 01:29 AM

137 posts, read 216,050 times
Default How many cowboy hats do you see???

Wondering if cowboy hats stand out in CO?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs