U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 11:15 PM

924 posts, read 1,031,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saykinriseo View Post
Thanks for the replies. I did notice a small apartment complex called Leisure Apartments on Bijou and 30th that would be in our budget and a perfect location in OCC/Pleasant Valley (not sure which area it falls in). Would this be an ok neighborhood? It is within walking distance to multiple businesses and on two bus lines.
Those apartments are located near, in, and around nice older neighborhoods, but be aware that 30th St. itself is a pretty busy thoroughfare - there are units facing Bijou itself, and that's where you'd want to be if you'd like it a tad quieter.

I'd just like to add: I think you might find taking the bus from the OCC area to any of the Culvers somewhat tiring. It's not the best transit system. You may very well want to consider trying to live closer to where you'll be working, or trying to find work closer to where you end up living.

Just my 2.

Last edited by mtngigi; 05-09-2018 at 11:20 PM.. Reason: added info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 04:43 AM

101 posts, read 188,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngigi View Post
I'd just like to add: I think you might find taking the bus from the OCC area to any of the Culvers somewhat tiring. It's not the best transit system. You may very well want to consider trying to live closer to where you'll be working, or trying to find work closer to where you end up living.

Just my 2.

Thanks for the comment. I currently have an hour bus ride to work in the morning that requires a transfer in downtown Duluth. Based on what I've seen from the schedules online, Mountain Metro reminds me of Valley Transit, the system I grew up with in Appleton, WI. I will probably, at some point, find another job closer to where I live, but when we first move, I'd like to have one already in place, thus Culver's.

Old 05-10-2018, 05:15 AM

183 posts, read 168,942 times
As others have mentioned, housing in Colorado Springs is currently very competitive, and demand shows few if any signs of easing. So landlords can afford to be very picky in choosing applicants right now. Will your past issues affect your ability to rent? Only the individual landlords can make that decision. But in such a tight market I’d bet on it. Extra cash up front can’t hurt.

As for rental rate, I'd say a target of $800 is too low. Right now that’s pretty close to scraping bottom for small 1BD/1BA units that are actually available & not outright slums (FYI if any unit you end up looking at is affiliated with the name Terry Ragan run like hell). Considering that units that rented for $500/mo just 5 years ago are going for $800/mo now and you get an idea of where things are heading as well. As of January, the median monthly rent for a 1BD in Colorado Springs was $908. Even if you find something reasonable expect rental rates to keep going up, especially Westside which is increasingly desirable (for reference SE Colorado Springs is the cheap side of town).

Public transportation in the Springs sucks. I’d research routes with Mountain Metro to see what’s feasible between your planned home & work. As others said, you might want to (if not have to) live closer to your work.

Old 05-10-2018, 03:55 PM

924 posts, read 1,031,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saykinriseo View Post
Thanks for the comment. I currently have an hour bus ride to work in the morning that requires a transfer in downtown Duluth. Based on what I've seen from the schedules online, Mountain Metro reminds me of Valley Transit, the system I grew up with in Appleton, WI. I will probably, at some point, find another job closer to where I live, but when we first move, I'd like to have one already in place, thus Culver's.
Well, if you're used to a long commute, that's fine; all I know is that the one time I had to use our transit system to get from point A to point B, it took over two hours for a drive that could be done in 20 minutes on a good day, 25 if traffic was heavy. I've not taken a bus since then. Saying "it sucks" is putting it mildly.

As was suggested, the rental situation here is crazy and you have to be on top of it. You'll be hard-pressed to find anything decent at your price point, and if anything decent does come up at that level, it's going to be snagged up immediately if not sooner.

Not trying to put a damper on things, but if you do a search on this forum about rentals, you'll see what we're trying to share - there's a big long thread about this very thing. People that are here are having a hard time finding housing ... it can be even harder if you're coming from out of state.

Old 05-11-2018, 01:28 AM

2,864 posts, read 7,097,466 times
If you're going to be working at the Culver's on Lake/Circle, I'd definitely just live near there. You should be able to find something. You can't count on the Mountain Metro, it's notoriously unreliable.

Old 05-11-2018, 06:16 AM

5,006 posts, read 6,683,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
If you're going to be working at the Culver's on Lake/Circle, I'd definitely just live near there. You should be able to find something. You can't count on the Mountain Metro, it's notoriously unreliable.
I agree. That is a perfectly fine neighborhood and lots of shopping within walking distance. Live as close to your work as possible.

Old 05-11-2018, 09:01 AM

608 posts, read 320,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
I agree. That is a perfectly fine neighborhood and lots of shopping within walking distance. Live as close to your work as possible.
Just a quick search shoes dozens of apartments within a bicycle ride to Culver's...most appear to be at the higher end of his price range, if in it at all. Before utilities, pet rent, etc.

Old 05-14-2018, 08:03 AM

2,668 posts, read 1,669,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDog View Post
But who wants to live in the southeast part of town?

Well, the 3bd, 2.5 bth, 2 car garage, stucco, ranch style home that costs $425k in north Cos can be purchased for $300k or less in one of the new subdivisions in the southeast Cos or east of Widefield, Security, or Fountain. There are some very nice neighborhoods in the south-east area, but one would have to closely scrutinize the surrounding areas before purchasing.

Old 05-14-2018, 06:05 PM

649 posts, read 341,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
Well, the 3bd, 2.5 bth, 2 car garage, stucco, ranch style home that costs $425k in north Cos can be purchased for $300k or less in one of the new subdivisions in the southeast Cos or east of Widefield, Security, or Fountain. There are some very nice neighborhoods in the south-east area, but one would have to closely scrutinize the surrounding areas before purchasing.
Agreed. Do people consider Widefield, Security, and Fountain to be part of Colorado Springs? When I think of the bad part of town, I think southeast Colorado Springs within the city limits.

Old 05-15-2018, 01:48 AM

2,864 posts, read 7,097,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDog View Post
Agreed. Do people consider Widefield, Security, and Fountain to be part of Colorado Springs? When I think of the bad part of town, I think southeast Colorado Springs within the city limits.
Yes and no. They're ok places to live, but quite boring. Fountain reminds me of a small town in Ohio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or