U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2018, 12:38 PM

17 posts, read 9,662 times

Advertisements

First of all thanks to everyone who assisted on my last thread. Now that I have decided on CO Springs I need a little insight from hopefully people living in the same area I am looking.

After researching apartment after apartment over the past month. There were two that caught my attention. I wanted to know if anyone has or currently lived there. If not, your opinion regarding the surrounding area and then I will end it with a few stupid questions (because those are a crowd favorite). Thanks in advance to everyone on here who has given their opinion or advice. I believe I am allowed to post complex names, if not please let me know and I will remove this thread.

Stetson Meadows Apartments -- Location : Mustang Meadow Point
This one is probably my top right now, the reviews online are pretty good compared to other complexes. The view looks amazing and they kind of resemble townhouses or condos.

West meadow Peaks Apartments: I like the location of this property and it also got decent reviews.

I will be out there going to showings in a few weeks. So, if there are other complexes too that you have had good experience with, please let me know and I will add it to my list. I am not asking for much just a safe community with a great view and not a 2.5 rating on most apartment websites. I am doing this a lone so I am little overwhelmed and do not know many people in the area who can help. (Only know some in Denver)

If you have any realtors or contacts that could assist with apartment hunting in CO Springs please DM me as I am just doing it on my own right now but have used realtors in the past for other moves and enjoyed the process.

Dumb Questions:

Hows the bug situation out there? Do you get an annual extermination for apartments? I am relocating from Florida, so I am BIG on extermination here because of all the critters the humidity brings. We get a lot of German roaches. When I moved into my apartment after the hurricane this year there were bugs and I immediately freaked out and got it taken care of. If so, is that something you did prior to move in or do the complexes generally provide that if requested.

Are these places generally located towards grocery shopping and stores in general? Right now I live in a condo that is not near downtown (Florida) but I am near a main road that has Targets, Walmart, Grocery Stores, Gas Stations ect. I do like the accessibility to these places.

Denver Airport. I travel a lot for work so, I understand it is about an hourish drive. Is there a train or anything else that people do to get from CO springs to the airport? Or is pretty much drive and check your car? I know there is a smaller airport down in the springs but unfortunately it does fly to where my family is located at this time.

Thank you all for your help again, sending good Karma your way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2018, 01:00 PM

2,668 posts, read 1,664,846 times
Can't comment directly on apartments as I haven't been in one for several decades. Those are newer and appear to be nice. The area is decent and pretty safe.

The area you have chosen is pretty happening these days. The Powers Blvd corridor is the primary arterial for north/south on the eastern side of the city. Anything you want will be found within a few stop lights over there whether it is shopping, food, or entertainment. There is a lot of retail growth there. You also are within walking distance to the regional baseball/soccer stadium.

The bug situation out here is the polar opposite of FL. It is rare to need to have an annual extermination. Bugs here are generally smaller, less plentiful, and less aggressive. We do have bugs, mosquitoes are particularly annoying at dusk, but you will find it a nice change in how diminished their presence is compared to FL.

Always check flights out of Cos before you book. Flights are being added pretty regularly and often times at very competitive prices to Denver. But, ther eis still room for improvement in availability. If you need to go to DIA, there are several companies that run shuttle vans to the airport. There is no rail service from Cos to Denver at any location, so its drive yourself or book a seat on a shuttle.

Old 05-18-2018, 02:15 PM

20,301 posts, read 37,784,136 times
Allow 90 minutes from your door to a parking lot at Denver airport. Done it in less time from Briargate area but with traffic the way it is you must allow 90 minutes, plus 30 more from the park n ride to the terminal, plus a half hour in the screening line, plus another half hour to get to the gate in time for boarding. Thus if you've a Noon flight you really should leave NLT 9AM, and pay attention to traffic reports as these times are for a good day with no accidents or snow.

Compared to Florida bugs are nearly non-existent in COLO SPGS, save for an annual bout of Miller Moths that are harmless, and a lot less of a problem than Florida's May Bugs that fly in swarms.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-19-2018, 01:39 AM

2,864 posts, read 7,095,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yougoleahcoco View Post
First of all thanks to everyone who assisted on my last thread. Now that I have decided on CO Springs I need a little insight from hopefully people living in the same area I am looking.

After researching apartment after apartment over the past month. There were two that caught my attention. I wanted to know if anyone has or currently lived there. If not, your opinion regarding the surrounding area and then I will end it with a few stupid questions (because those are a crowd favorite). Thanks in advance to everyone on here who has given their opinion or advice. I believe I am allowed to post complex names, if not please let me know and I will remove this thread.

Stetson Meadows Apartments -- Location : Mustang Meadow Point
This one is probably my top right now, the reviews online are pretty good compared to other complexes. The view looks amazing and they kind of resemble townhouses or condos.

West meadow Peaks Apartments: I like the location of this property and it also got decent reviews.

I will be out there going to showings in a few weeks. So, if there are other complexes too that you have had good experience with, please let me know and I will add it to my list. I am not asking for much just a safe community with a great view and not a 2.5 rating on most apartment websites. I am doing this a lone so I am little overwhelmed and do not know many people in the area who can help. (Only know some in Denver)

If you have any realtors or contacts that could assist with apartment hunting in CO Springs please DM me as I am just doing it on my own right now but have used realtors in the past for other moves and enjoyed the process.

Dumb Questions:

Hows the bug situation out there? Do you get an annual extermination for apartments? I am relocating from Florida, so I am BIG on extermination here because of all the critters the humidity brings. We get a lot of German roaches. When I moved into my apartment after the hurricane this year there were bugs and I immediately freaked out and got it taken care of. If so, is that something you did prior to move in or do the complexes generally provide that if requested.

Are these places generally located towards grocery shopping and stores in general? Right now I live in a condo that is not near downtown (Florida) but I am near a main road that has Targets, Walmart, Grocery Stores, Gas Stations ect. I do like the accessibility to these places.

Denver Airport. I travel a lot for work so, I understand it is about an hourish drive. Is there a train or anything else that people do to get from CO springs to the airport? Or is pretty much drive and check your car? I know there is a smaller airport down in the springs but unfortunately it does fly to where my family is located at this time.

Thank you all for your help again, sending good Karma your way.
Train....lmao, I wish. It's been proposed quite a few times but it will never happen.

Old 05-19-2018, 07:52 PM
gn3

147 posts, read 358,311 times
You can ride the light rail from the south side of Denver to the airport, but it's not going to save time or money.

Old 05-29-2018, 04:04 PM

275 posts, read 220,354 times
I got some crazy wasps infestations at my apartment last year, built hives in the A/C vents, under ceramic roof tiles, just about everywhere. It was nuts. Fortunately these were apparently migrating wasps that rarely build hives in the same spots, so it should be much better this year. From what I understand Colorado can get some strange insect anomalies due to weather and migration patterns where it seems like you're getting the plagues of Egypt, and then they disappear as quickly as they show up. I also had a small infestation of baby spiders that seemed to quickly disappear themselves and were never seen again.

Then there are the ant hills on some of the grounds here that materialize when the weather gets warmer, more ants than I've ever seen in 29 years of living that you have to keep a wide berth away from walking in some areas, and finally the usual bouts of irritating flies/mosquitoes that can circulate here and there.

Overall though, it's not nearly as bad as you might find in more humid climates, though they still have a presence and can be an irritating nuisance depending on where you're located.

Old 05-31-2018, 03:10 PM

9,734 posts, read 6,265,376 times
I don't know about the one out on Powers, it's very hit-or-miss over there. I had some friends who lived in nearby Winfield Apartments (north of the ones you mentioned) and hated it, but it was a combo of crazy neighbors and bad management. Those might be more affordable apartments. I won't lie, you get what you pay for to some extent.

I would caution you about the ones off of Academy. The second complex you mentioned. If you look on a map immediately to the right (east, very slightly north) there is a street called Loomis. The lower end of that street, which is right next to those apartments, is easily one of the sketchiest areas I've seen in the Springs to date. I went over there once because we needed to get rid of a washer/dryer and a friend had a friend of a friend who would take them...and I was like, wow, here's quite a little pocket of awfulness. Unless there is like a serious fence with barbed wire that meth-heads cannot get over, I would NOT want to live in a complex right by there, even if it looks nice. There is some bigtime sketchiness in the B St. area there, it's that bit of "not so good" that often crops up for some reason right outside of a military base.

Yet not so far off at all, you have much, much nicer housing, as you're close to some of the old money Broadmoor areas and nearby developments. That's the thing about Colorado Springs. You can have a whole nice area with a bubble of "OMG nope" or a whole area known to be sketchy with like this one street of luxury gorgeous homes for some reason. Cheek by jowl like that.

Regarding bugs. There is only ONE kind of bug in this area that scares me. Bedbugs. They can live and infest any home in any climate in the US, to the best of my knowledge. I've heard horror stories. Otherwise? We don't really have much problem with roaches, fleas, or anything else that is really terrible in other places. The dryness and altitude seems to deter them. We had little stupid black ants in one place I lived, I put out some food grade diatomaceous earth (safe for pets, kills bugs, heck yeah!) and it put an end to that. We had yellowjackets trying to nest on my back patio recently. I hate them, they are some jerky aggressive buggos. So I put out a hanging trap. Now we have none.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or