U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 01:46 PM

20,307 posts, read 37,790,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
It's because Denver is better.

You guys have the best Electronics store ever. It's called OEM.

Sorry for the fuzzy photo, but this is just one isle of pure gold.

Hancock and Filmore.
Link didn't work, but I found some pix on google maps.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Oe...!4d-104.803403
I've been in this place a few times, it's like rummaging through a yard sale to find the odd item, rather cool, a real retro trip.

Back to the OP's Mall question, the city of Colorado Springs is a military town, those infantry soldiers are not into mall shopping and the locals are not all that well to do in many cases. If they want upscale there's the Promenade Shops at exit 151 or Park Meadows Mall up in the Lone Tree area. I doubt that any new malls will be built in Colorado and the ones in COLO SPGS will struggle.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2018, 04:36 AM

2,864 posts, read 7,096,377 times
I really couldn't possibly care less about either of them. in 20 years I've probably stepped foot in a mall maybe 3 times for something I absolutely could not find anywhere else. Or when I had to take my motorcycle safety foundation class, which is in the Chapel Hills Mall.

Other than that, it's an experience so offputting and cringeworthy that I think I'd rather slit my wrists than spend 10 minutes inside one.

Old 06-01-2018, 08:04 AM

647 posts, read 340,571 times
Did not see Colorado Springs on list of Sears closings.

Old 06-01-2018, 09:07 AM

21,026 posts, read 15,233,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I think indoor malls are pretty much a thing of the past. Nowadays it seems the current trend is large outdoor malls that looks like it could be a downtown area in a small city with large apartment complexes and condos and grocery stores nearby.

Austin has nearly a million people and only 2 indoor malls, when 10 or 15 years ago there were 4 indoor malls, including one mall that had an ice skating rink. One of those malls is about 34 years old and the other is about 18 years old. I can think of at least 5 large outdoor type malls in the Austin metro that have been built in the last 10 to 15 years.

A couple of those outdoor malls are up-scale, high-end shopping areas and it seems like some are becoming entertainment districts.
That is definitely the trend.

Southlands in Aurora is a fine example
(see pictures here: https://www.shopsouthlands.com/)

There isn't any housing (yet) within Southlands but that is the model that is being used elsewhere in the city. There is a big outdoor mall along Havana (The Gardens on Havana) that has beautiful multi-unit housing right at the end of their main street.

It feels to me, though, that the OP is more frustrated by the lack of choice and quality in the local offerings than by the type of mall (whether inside or outside).

Stores of course stock whatever they sell the most of, so, if people in COS don't buy black wallets, no point in stocking them.
And, if people keep shopping elsewhere, how would they ever know what shoppers would like to have available?
Might be worth asking at Macy's or some of the other local retailers if they could increase their offerings.

Old 06-01-2018, 09:16 AM

3,786 posts, read 1,465,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post

There isn't any housing (yet) within Southlands but that is the model that is being used elsewhere in the city. There is a big outdoor mall along Havana (The Gardens on Havana) that has beautiful multi-unit housing right at the end of their main street.

It feels to me, though, that the OP is more frustrated by the lack of choice and quality in the local offerings than by the type of mall (whether inside or outside).

Stores of course stock whatever they sell the most of, so, if people in COS don't buy black wallets, no point in stocking them.
And, if people keep shopping elsewhere, how would they ever know what shoppers would like to have available?
Might be worth asking at Macy's or some of the other local retailers if they could increase their offerings.
I want a Gucci store in the springs.

Old 06-01-2018, 10:31 AM

20,307 posts, read 37,790,850 times
We had a similar thread in Denver forum the other year, about similar issues. In that thread my two cents was that malls need some re-invention in order to survive and thrive.

Perhaps a sizable chunk of a mall could be redone as a High School (HS) rather than build a whole new HS. Parking is already there which is a big issue as anyone living around a HS can attest to. Back in Fairfax County we had kids parking all over our residential streets until we petitioned to have parking restricted to residents only.

One vacant Sears or Pennys could hold a gym or cafeteria or study hall or partitioned into general classroom spaces or a mix of these.

Perhaps the food court could be rebuilt into a HS cafeteria. Students could train for culinary jobs in the food court area so that we can get healthy food there instead of the usual putrid food court swill. (IMO food courts are a reason to AVOID going to the malls!)

An old Sears auto store could host a HS auto shop to train people for jobs that can't be off-shored. Any number of vocations could be taught in vacant mall stores. There are Apple stores in many malls, why not have a co-op deal with Apple or Microsoft...or both, to train kids in the IT business, right there in the mall.

Why can't we use mall space for dentists, doctors, lawyers, various therapies, child care.

If mall real estate is to survive and not be torn down it needs to be refreshed and repurposed into what small town downtowns used to be before WalMart and malls killed them. With retail now vacating malls lets turn malls into downtown business areas (with some retail) and let our old hollowed-out downtowns become walkable residential space like downtown COLO SPGS.

Then there's the whole recreation business. A lot of malls have theater chains, why not add a bumper cars feature, a carousel for the kiddies, a shooting gallery, an arcade hall, etc. This would go hand in hand with eateries as a mutual draw.....something to DO besides shop.

Supreme Court just ruled that sports book betting can be done outside of race tracks and Las Vegas. If you've ever been in a Vegas-style sports book room then you know what I'm thinking of for an old Sears store, with the full bar, good food, 40-foot screen to watch games, boxing matches, major horse races, etc.

There are always problems and challenges but IMO there is NOT a shortage of solutions for those who reach for them.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-01-2018, 11:01 AM

5,005 posts, read 6,681,120 times
I like the high school idea. The Citadel used to house the Digital school campus for D11 and also I think a Korean school. However, I think the issue is the rent - schools get priced out - public education and probably most private schools too need to own their buildings and definitely do not have funding for high mall rent. Same issue with child care places - rent in malls is too high. Our mall does have the mini-golf place, and a virtual reality place and a kiddie zone play place -. I think people are trying some of your ideas with a bit of success but it has to be affordable for them to get in there in the first place.

Old 06-01-2018, 11:34 AM

1,245 posts, read 1,631,290 times
A central area mall in Austin TX that lost its tenants over time is being redeveloped into a campus for the local community college. Other parts are being developed into apartments with ground floor retail beneath. Parts of the massive parking lot will be turned into parkland with a seasonal farmer's market.

Old 06-01-2018, 06:58 PM

647 posts, read 340,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post

Good post. The OP’s original question was based on a poor assumption that Colorado Springs can’t support a real mall. It can, “The Promenade”. That’s just the new “in” type of mall.

Old 06-02-2018, 07:31 PM
gn3

147 posts, read 358,376 times
Malls have no real appeal to me, as I don't shop recreationally. I'd rather just go directly to the store I want, or order online. I think Forbes has an online game where you can try to save dying malls. I guess they might have an advantage in very cold climates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or