U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 12:37 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,631,738 times

Advertisements

After a year and a half, I am still trying to figure out the lay of the land. I guess it's the development codes here, but strip centers seem to have wonky traffic flows in and out. They are also at odd angles (and even behind each other) but don't connect to each other. I made one trip to the mall off Academy up north and found the entrances and exits very confusing. If you have a shopping bug, I highly recommend all the various thrift stores here. I have made some amazing finds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2018, 03:20 PM

3,108 posts, read 4,661,462 times
A few things:

As a general rule, indoor regional malls are dying or dead. This is due to a variety of reasons including loss/consolidation of traditional anchors, online sales, traffic problems, etc. The exception to this is malls/outlet malls in affluent areas that have stores not found elsewhere (eg. Park Meadows, Cherry Creek, Flatirons, Castle Rock).

The older suburban mall is being razed for the new outdoor lifestyle center mall that typically has mixed use development (commercial, business, and residential). Examples of this include: Bel Mar (Villa Italia mall site), The Streets at Southglenn (old Southglenn mall site), the Gardens on Havana (Buckingham Square Mall), Westminster Mall site and more.

Some malls are being repurposed in their buildings. Southwest Plaza in Jefferson County is being remade into a retail/dining/entertainment venue that transcends retail-only malls. It has attracted standalone restaurants like Cheesecake Factory, Bad Daddy Burgers and a few others that act as destination places, not snack or food-court types of eateries. It has brought in entertainment like the (controversial) SeaQuest Aquarium, a bowling alley/arcade, and an escape room place.

As for other uses for malls, around the country malls have been turned into office space (Dish TV's Riverfront Center is an example of this), churches, apartments, government offices, and schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or