U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2018, 03:59 AM

4,330 posts, read 4,354,278 times

Advertisements

Colorado Springs' first bike share program preparing to roll out

Colorado Springs' first bike share program preparing to roll out | Colorado Springs Gazette, News

"PikeRide will have 208 smart bicycles available for residents and tourists to rent by mid- or late June, said Jolie NeSmith, the program's executive director. Those bicycles - outfitted with GPS and timers - were delivered to the program's warehouse Monday and the push to assemble them begins this week, she said.

Multiple volunteers have stepped up to build them but more are needed, NeSmith said. Dozens of kiosks and hubs and hundreds of bike docks also need to be ready for the program's launch . Anyone interested in helping can contact them through the group's Facebook page, she said.

The bikes will be available for rent in the city's center, a 12-square-mile area within the Legacy Loop, NeSmith said. They can be rented at kiosks and users can lock them at bike stations in the area where the next user can pick them up, she said."

This could create an interesting opportunity to see the area from a different perspective. I hope it works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2018, 07:26 AM

152 posts, read 213,911 times
Aurora is the first city in Colorado to allow "dockless" bike share. Dockless means the bikes are staged free-standing anywhere within the city, and not locked in a centralized rack system (easy access). You must have a smart phone with GPS to find a bike near you, unlock it and pay the $1 per half-hour fee. These colorful Aurora bikes are everywhere...street corners, private yards, trail-heads, public sidewalks and parks.

How well does the Aurora system work? I spend several hours riding my personal bike in and around Aurora every week. In over a year of watching this system in action, I have NEVER seen ANYONE riding one of these share-bikes. Good luck COS...

Last edited by YoYoSpin; 05-24-2018 at 08:21 AM..

Old 05-24-2018, 07:50 AM

1,454 posts, read 2,081,271 times
Some Aurora residents fed up with dockless bikes left in street | FOX31 Denver

Old 05-24-2018, 10:56 AM

2,668 posts, read 1,669,907 times
Its a neat idea, but the whole docked format and cost may kill it. I think tourism in downtown Cos may be a bit more of an attraction than in Aurora, but we'll see where it goes.

FWIW, my daughter's volleyball team used them a couple of times on a recent visit to Dallas.

Old 05-24-2018, 11:07 AM

20,308 posts, read 37,797,930 times
Might be a good way to tool around Garden of the Gods Park, OCC, Manitou, downtown, etc.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-26-2018, 12:22 PM

37 posts, read 18,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
Its a neat idea, but the whole docked format and cost may kill it. I think tourism in downtown Cos may be a bit more of an attraction than in Aurora, but we'll see where it goes.

FWIW, my daughter's volleyball team used them a couple of times on a recent visit to Dallas.
Its not a true docking format, the bike just has to be locked up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or