U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2018, 09:25 AM

53 posts, read 79,374 times

Advertisements

Hi y'all. My hubby and I just got back from visiting Colorado Springs to see if this is where we want to retire to. We loved the city and surrounding areas! We also looked further north past Denver. No question for us that the Colorado Springs area is where we want to be!

After looking at the majority of new build neighborhoods and driving around some established ones we are really liking one more than the rest. Although we are not 100% set in stone as it will depend on what's available house wise in July/August.

So we really liked Sanctuary Pointe in Monument. My question for all of you that know the area is are there any negatives that I should be aware of concerning this neighborhood, Baptist Rd or surrounding area? For instance, any plans to make Baptist rd into a more major rd or is there a nuclear clean up site next door or so on? So far I haven't run across any negative stuff but figured the locals would be more aware of stuff like this.

Thanks for any info! As always, you guys rock on being willing to take the time to reply on this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2018, 11:21 AM

5,008 posts, read 6,691,539 times
Baptist Rd. is already a pretty major road, imho. I don't of anything personally.

Old 05-29-2018, 02:34 PM

705 posts, read 444,129 times
I live off of Baptist. When baptist starts to get up into the trees it turns from a 4 lane (2 lanes both ways) into a 2 lane road. So even though it is a "major street" to get to subdivisions and to go further east, it's not what I would consider a busy street.
During the winter the hill on Baptist can get closed because it's too treacherous to drive up. That's when it's good to know how to get to your home through back streets. We've been here going on 3 years and baptist hill has closed at least once (usually twice) a year due to a storm.
It's a beautiful area but we are always prone to wildfires up here in the trees.

Hope that helps!

Old 05-29-2018, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoodlemomCoS View Post
I live off of Baptist. When baptist starts to get up into the trees it turns from a 4 lane (2 lanes both ways) into a 2 lane road. So even though it is a "major street" to get to subdivisions and to go further east, it's not what I would consider a busy street.
During the winter the hill on Baptist can get closed because it's too treacherous to drive up. That's when it's good to know how to get to your home through back streets. We've been here going on 3 years and baptist hill has closed at least once (usually twice) a year due to a storm.
It's a beautiful area but we are always prone to wildfires up here in the trees.

Hope that helps!
That's good to know. Baptist didn't seem too busy when we drove on it but we didn't know if we just hit it on a slow time. Never even thought about it closing due to the weather. We have a lot to learn about winter driving!

Wildfires are concerning but it seems like there are so many things to worry about there.....like mines and land slides too. Wildfires are not an issue where we live. Do you know if your home insurance policy covers you if your home was to burn down due to a wildfire? Or do you have to add an extra policy like we do here for flood insurance?

Thanks!

Old 05-29-2018, 09:21 PM

5,008 posts, read 6,691,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLoriginal'71 View Post
That's good to know. Baptist didn't seem too busy when we drove on it but we didn't know if we just hit it on a slow time. Never even thought about it closing due to the weather. We have a lot to learn about winter driving!

Wildfires are concerning but it seems like there are so many things to worry about there.....like mines and land slides too. Wildfires are not an issue where we live. Do you know if your home insurance policy covers you if your home was to burn down due to a wildfire? Or do you have to add an extra policy like we do here for flood insurance?

Thanks!
Fire is generally covered but you do need to make sure you have an adequate amount of coverage for replacing your home and belongings, etc. In some of our fire tragedies, there were some people who discovered their level of coverage was inadequate.

Old 05-30-2018, 06:50 AM

152 posts, read 214,069 times
After the Mountain Shadows and Black Forest wildfires of a few years ago, burning down several hundred homes in the area, insurance companies have gotten aggressive in requiring homeowners in wooded areas to mitigate...cut down trees and clear brush. It's a good practice in any event, but I know some people whose insurance was cancelled because they hadn't kept up with the insurance company's new fire abatement standards. So consider the grounds maintenance expense and hassle of living on large heavily wooded lots.

Last edited by YoYoSpin; 05-30-2018 at 07:09 AM..

Old 05-30-2018, 08:47 AM

337 posts, read 164,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoYoSpin View Post
After the Mountain Shadows and Black Forest wildfires of a few years ago, burning down several hundred homes in the area, insurance companies have gotten aggressive in requiring homeowners in wooded areas to mitigate...cut down trees and clear brush. It's a good practice in any event, but I know some people whose insurance was cancelled because they hadn't kept up with the insurance company's new fire abatement standards. So consider the grounds maintenance expense and hassle of living on large heavily wooded lots.
Remember seeing quite a few homes in Black Forest with cords of wood stacked on wooden decks with large pine trees touching the sides of the houses. Then the fire trucks could not access many of the homes due to homeowners blocking access to driveways with more trees and walls etc...The fire trucks just go right past "those places".

Of course many did not think a fire would ever happen in BF so it should be a wake up call for everyone to be more vigilant in preparing for the next big one.

Old 05-30-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLoriginal'71 View Post

Thanks!
Hi there. Yeah baptist isn't that bad. As for insurance, yes our policy will cover a rebuild or buying somewhere else. Also we have a policy that states "replacement value" not "actual cost value" which means we can get reimbursed fully for items when you replace them. Actual costs only gives you what a 10 year old sofa would cost to buy, not a brand new one. So read your policies. We also have some extra things included like outdoor home improvement things (like laying a large patio and building a big deck) we did to get reimbursed in case of fire. Just really go over that policy. Beyond that, there isn't much you can do except some fire mitigating and having your evac plan ready.

It's a beautiful area. If you have specific questions, message me. Best of luck.

Old 05-30-2018, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoYoSpin View Post
Yoyospin is correct. We have to mitigate every year. We actually have semi annual neighborhood mitigation days where dumpsters come in and we get rid of old brush, pine needles, etc.

Old 05-30-2018, 10:28 AM

Thanks for all the replies! It is good to know that if a tragedy of a wildfire hit then we would have insurance to help with recovery. I guess it is a risk we need to mull over and see if we feel comfortable with taking. Hurricanes, flooding and tornadoes are the risks we have were we live now.

I definitely would not mind with doing neighborhood mitigation efforts. Great way to meet neighbors and I just enjoy "yard work".

I wouldn't consider the neighborhood we are looking at heavily wooded and I assume that is to help with mitigation. All around it seems to be heavily wooded though with Fox Run Park across the street and I guess that's where the biggest danger comes from. That park though with its walking trails is one of the reasons we like Sanctuary Pointe though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs