U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 10:07 PM

433 posts, read 178,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allievaughn View Post
Wow, thank you so much for all the info! I'll definitely look into the area I was also looking at Boise, it seems like a nice place to live too!
Boise is um, different. Google it. There are some interesting facts about the city that appeal to some and not others. Won’t say anymore or I will get in trouble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2018, 10:23 AM

2,669 posts, read 1,671,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allievaughn View Post
As of right now, I'm looking at moving to either Johnstown, Aurora, Colorado Springs, Gunnison, Fruita, Springfield, Montrose, Del Norte, Pagosa Springs, Durango, Cortez, Grand Junction, or Delta - these are all cities with a hospital or two nearby where I could apply for a job. I haven't looked up apartment costs for the areas yet, going to do that soon though and that should narrow it down a bit!
This is a broad range of cities in size and location that will similarly vary in pay and cost of living as well as access to various recreational activities.

Colo Spgs and Aurora are #2 and 3 in size at over 450k and 350k each. Aurora is part of the contiguous Denver metro area. Both are along the Front Range. These are real cities. Most of the rest on your list range from very small to largish towns, IMO. CO does not have a legal break over point of what constitutes the difference in each, so you will need to determine which works for you.

Springfield is on the far eastern plains on the extreme south-eastern corner of the state near the KS, OK, TX border. Its also small, under 1500 people, and not really near the mountains that many envision as being Colorado.

Johnstown is between Denver and Greeley. It may be a less expensive place to live but still give you access to things along I-25. Drawback is traffic is going to be messy out that way but it will give you nearby access to the Denver metro. Loveland, Greeley, etc.

Del Norte is in the San Luis Valley. Very small, under 1800 people. Rents may be cheap, but work will be scarce. You may be better off living closer to Monte Vista or Alamosa. The drive from Del Norte to Alamoso daily would not be fun. It doesn't look far on a map, but the actual distance on the ground is a long, boring drive.

Pagosa, Durango, Cortez are in the far south-west corner. Beautiful country, fairly isolated from the Front Range, increasingly expensive with a large percentage of vacation homes. Dry and hot are the key words here. CO Rambler is our Four Corners resident and will maybe chime in with her experience living in the area.

Gunnison is a fairly isolated place and one of the coldest areas of the state with regular heavy snow. Near Western State College and Crested Butte, competition for jobs may be heavy, but it will have a cool vibe and is in the heart of the mountains.

Montrose, a lesser known but increasingly popular place that is seeing a surge in outdoor equipment manufacturing. Like all of CO, they are seeing an influx that is increasing housing costs but they may still be affordable. At over 20k population, its one of the larger towns in your list.

Fruita is along the I70 coridor and is part of the Grand Junction MSA that include both of these towns as well as Palisade, Colbran, De Beque and others. Being close to Utah, it does get pretty hot here, but it is the largest "metro" are you will find on the western slope with close access to recreation, small town atmosphere, more population, and the prospect of more employment.

Like Mike FBE said, please do searches on these area as all have pros-cons associated with them and you will want to read up on that to see how it aligns with you personality, desires, work options, budgets, etc.

Old 06-30-2018, 11:52 AM

10 posts, read 4,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Boise is um, different. Google it. There are some interesting facts about the city that appeal to some and not others. Won’t say anymore or I will get in trouble.
Currently trying to find out everything I can about CO, haven't done a lot of research on other states in the area yet, but they're still a possibility. I've still got plenty of time to decide, so I'll definitely find out if they seem like they'd be great for me soon

Old 06-30-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
This is a broad range of cities in size and location that will similarly vary in pay and cost of living as well as access to various recreational activities.

Colo Spgs and Aurora are #2 and 3 in size at over 450k and 350k each. Aurora is part of the contiguous Denver metro area. Both are along the Front Range. These are real cities. Most of the rest on your list range from very small to largish towns, IMO. CO does not have a legal break over point of what constitutes the difference in each, so you will need to determine which works for you.

Springfield is on the far eastern plains on the extreme south-eastern corner of the state near the KS, OK, TX border. Its also small, under 1500 people, and not really near the mountains that many envision as being Colorado.

Johnstown is between Denver and Greeley. It may be a less expensive place to live but still give you access to things along I-25. Drawback is traffic is going to be messy out that way but it will give you nearby access to the Denver metro. Loveland, Greeley, etc.

Del Norte is in the San Luis Valley. Very small, under 1800 people. Rents may be cheap, but work will be scarce. You may be better off living closer to Monte Vista or Alamosa. The drive from Del Norte to Alamoso daily would not be fun. It doesn't look far on a map, but the actual distance on the ground is a long, boring drive.

Pagosa, Durango, Cortez are in the far south-west corner. Beautiful country, fairly isolated from the Front Range, increasingly expensive with a large percentage of vacation homes. Dry and hot are the key words here. CO Rambler is our Four Corners resident and will maybe chime in with her experience living in the area.

Gunnison is a fairly isolated place and one of the coldest areas of the state with regular heavy snow. Near Western State College and Crested Butte, competition for jobs may be heavy, but it will have a cool vibe and is in the heart of the mountains.

Montrose, a lesser known but increasingly popular place that is seeing a surge in outdoor equipment manufacturing. Like all of CO, they are seeing an influx that is increasing housing costs but they may still be affordable. At over 20k population, its one of the larger towns in your list.

Fruita is along the I70 coridor and is part of the Grand Junction MSA that include both of these towns as well as Palisade, Colbran, De Beque and others. Being close to Utah, it does get pretty hot here, but it is the largest "metro" are you will find on the western slope with close access to recreation, small town atmosphere, more population, and the prospect of more employment.

Like Mike FBE said, please do searches on these area as all have pros-cons associated with them and you will want to read up on that to see how it aligns with you personality, desires, work options, budgets, etc.
Wow, thank you so very much for all the info! It does help me narrow the list down quite a bit so I can do a more in-depth search on the cities. Thank you!

Old 07-03-2018, 09:08 AM

75 posts, read 57,322 times
Just my $.02 but I'd go to apartments.com and plug in those cities and see what your goal of $700/month gets you for a 1/1. In the Springs you're going to need a roommate, and some luck, to get a 2 bedroom for $1400/month.

Old 07-03-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenBoosted View Post
Just my $.02 but I'd go to apartments.com and plug in those cities and see what your goal of $700/month gets you for a 1/1. In the Springs you're going to need a roommate, and some luck, to get a 2 bedroom for $1400/month.
I have! I researched the price and availability of apartments in the cities that I listed in a previous reply. As of right now, I've got a list of the lower cost apartments and now I'm narrowing it down to apartments close to hospitals, that way I'll be able to walk to work to save money Thanks for comment though, if I hadn't of thought of that just a few days ago that would've been a big help!

Any idea how easy/difficult it is to get an apartment? That's what I'm about to do research on. I've never rented an apartment before and have only had a credit card for a few months. I opened the credit card for the purpose of establishing credit; so I'd have a good reputation by the end of the year when I look into renting. I don't have any other 'large' payments, like for a car or anything. I believe I might have to get someone with a good credit history to co-sign the lease for me? I'd have a job by the time I applied for renting - my plan as of right now is to secure a job (hopefully they'd give me a week or two before starting since I'm moving from another state?), then look for an apartment to rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or