U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 10:55 AM

10 posts, read 4,497 times

Advertisements

I'm wanting to move to CO and was hoping you guys could give me some moving advice. All I'm bringing from GA is a suitcase and my cat, so travel there would just really be the cost of the flight.

I'm not sure exactly where I'd like to move in CO yet, but I'd need to be near a hospital, as I'd be looking to get a job there (if not have a job there before I move, which is what I'm going to be shooting for). Could you guys think of any common expenses I should consider, so I know about how much to save? I'd need to have enough for the flight, apartment/deposit, pet fee, food, transportation to and from work/store, I could go without internet until my first paycheck - if you can think of anymore things to consider, please let me know! Maybe there are people I could share an apartment with or rent a bedroom or basement from for a month or so, until I start making enough money to not worry about it so much, and it would cost less than, say $700/mo for an apartment with a 6 mo to year lease.

Also, I've never owned an apartment before, any idea what to consider as far as utilities? Not sure if light bills, water, etc are included in the $700/mo.

Thanks for any help! I don't have any family to help with moving or advice, so any advice or tips would help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2018, 11:28 AM

4,253 posts, read 3,954,423 times
Since you posted this in the Colorado Springs forum are you mainly interested in moving there? If you are open to other possibilities, you may wish to post your question in the general Colorado forum below.

At any rate, I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, but you are going to have the devil of a time finding an apartment in the Springs for only $700/month - certainly not one where the $700 also includes utilities.

Generally, when you move into a new apartment, you are looking at first and last month's rent, plus a damage or pet deposit. A more realistic amount for a rental in Colorado Springs would be at least $900/month and this is rock bottom. So, you're looking at something like $2700 to get into an apartment plus any fees you would need to pay to get utilities and Internet set up. Any fees or advance deposits may depend on your credit rating and whether you have a job or not. Coming from Georgia, you probably won't mind Colorado's dry heat, but you may feel pretty chilly come fall and winter and you may run up your utility bill trying to keep warm. These are all unknown factors, so I can't really advise you as to what your utility costs may be.

Real Estate on Colorado's Front Range is becoming more pricey by the day and Denver and Colorado Springs are no exception. You might have better luck in Pueblo if you are willing to consider that town. Pueblo has any number of amenities and has a lower cost of living than many other Colorado cities.

Where-ever you choose to try to make a go of it, I can't recommend strongly enough that you line up a job BEFORE moving out here. Also, you really need to come out here and make a visit first to check out various places to live and just to get a feel for the state in general.

Best of luck and on your tight budget, you'll need it.

Old 06-19-2018, 12:20 PM

1,454 posts, read 2,082,011 times
In addition to the initial costs, build up an emergency fund to cover at least a few months expenses. Will you need a car? Colorado Springs does have buses, but the routes are kind of sparse. If you buy a car, be aware that auto insurance costs are high here due to frequent hail storms.

Old 06-19-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beezle1 View Post
In addition to the initial costs, build up an emergency fund to cover at least a few months expenses. Will you need a car? Colorado Springs does have buses, but the routes are kind of sparse. If you buy a car, be aware that auto insurance costs are high here due to frequent hail storms.
Thank you for all the help! Yeah, not completely set on Colorado Springs, so I'll post in the main forum too. Any recommendations for cities with low cost rent would be great. I'll check out Pueblo! As for transport, I'm planning on buying a car but until then I guess bus routes or something else. And for the job, I'll for sure have something lined up before moving and check the city out first! Thanks again!

Old 06-19-2018, 01:15 PM

2,668 posts, read 1,671,734 times
Hospital work can be pretty widely varied. If you have a specialty or technical background, it may help with finding employment. If you are support staff, it may to tough.

Colo Spgs' two biggest hospital systems are Penrose (Centura) and Memorial (Univ of CO). They both have two primary locations near the city center and the far north side. It may be possible to find employment and a small apartment or room for rent near the downtown locations as housing there is much more diverse in size, style, and price than what is found on the north end of the city. To find something at that price point isn't impossible, but it highly unlikely and you will need to already be here and ready to pounce. Prices like that will not be advertised on electronic mediums, you have to root them out by walking/driving through neighborhoods and stopping at posted signs. There also are numerous other small critical care outlets and some smaller daytime style hospitals in the city that may work, but again, it depends on what you need for hospital work.

Pueblo's Parkview and St Mary's hospital systems recently laid off over 300 staff in various positions as they both consolidated operations, independently of each other and for separate reasons. While rents in Pueblo are much less expensive overall than Colo Spgs and Denver, employment options are not nearly as widespread either, this is the dilemma you will face in CO, lower rents = less opportunity, or sometimes much further commutes.

Public transportation in most CO cities is not stellar. It may be workable in some places, but it is a big variable. Living as close to work as possible is a big help anywhere you may land.

Rambler had some good round figures to estimate for a move. Certainly the more cash you can bring, the more flexibility you will have. You may also have to include a wardrobe budget to add winter capable clothes.

So you are aware, most CO cities along the I-25 corridor are seeing 300-600 people a month moving into them. While there are jobs available,especially in the Denver metro area, that much competition for housing is driving prices up rapidly and landlords are in the drivers seat for selectivity right now.

Old 06-19-2018, 02:02 PM

5,007 posts, read 6,685,971 times
What are your reasons for wanting to move to CO? Does it have to be CO or do you think CO meets some set of criteria you're wanting but maybe somewhere else could be an even better fit if we could help you find it?

Old 06-19-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
What are your reasons for wanting to move to CO? Does it have to be CO or do you think CO meets some set of criteria you're wanting but maybe somewhere else could be an even better fit if we could help you find it?
I've been doing some research on different states and decided I definitely want to move somewhere with weather like CO, so middle US, but I'm up for moving to any state around that area really, just want to get out of GA. Any recommendations would be awesome acually!

Old 06-19-2018, 03:48 PM

5,007 posts, read 6,685,971 times
When you say you want weather like CO, what are the most important aspects to you - dry/prone to drought/fire? -snow possible seasonally? - low humidity? - relatively sunny? - lower average temp than GA? -high incidence of hail storms, but low risk of hurricane? - 4 seasons, sort of? - short/difficult growing season compared to other places? - brown/dead landscape in winter but green IF rain in summer? - lots of variability, sometimes in a very short time span?

Depending on priorities, you might look at towns like Boise, Idaho; Wichita, Kansas; Omaha, Nebraska; Salt Lake City, UT; Des Moines, Iowa; Prescott, Arizona; Carson City, Nevada; Laramie, Wyoming; Greeley, CO.... That's just a few to perhaps expand your search for a variety of options to see if any of these might be affordable with a good job you can find and the climate characteristics you most want.

Old 06-19-2018, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
When you say you want weather like CO, what are the most important aspects to you - dry/prone to drought/fire? -snow possible seasonally? - low humidity? - relatively sunny? - lower average temp than GA? -high incidence of hail storms, but low risk of hurricane? - 4 seasons, sort of? - short/difficult growing season compared to other places? - brown/dead landscape in winter but green IF rain in summer? - lots of variability, sometimes in a very short time span?

Depending on priorities, you might look at towns like Boise, Idaho; Wichita, Kansas; Omaha, Nebraska; Salt Lake City, UT; Des Moines, Iowa; Prescott, Arizona; Carson City, Nevada; Laramie, Wyoming; Greeley, CO.... That's just a few to perhaps expand your search for a variety of options to see if any of these might be affordable with a good job you can find and the climate characteristics you most want.
Definitely less hot and humid than GA would be the most important things. I don't care for summer at all and wouldn't mind it being a little chilly, but sunny. I've looked into a few of those places but I'll check the ones that I haven't out, especially as far as rent and jobs go! I remember liking Nebraska and Wyoming from what I've read online.

Old 06-19-2018, 09:22 PM

926 posts, read 1,031,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allievaughn View Post
I've been doing some research on different states and decided I definitely want to move somewhere with weather like CO, so middle US, but I'm up for moving to any state around that area really, just want to get out of GA. Any recommendations would be awesome acually!
"weather like Colorado" really does not narrow down what you're looking for - Colorado is a big state, and the weather varies a great deal depending on which side of the Rockies you're on, and how far north, south, east or west you are.

In general, people who live in the Pikes Peak regional give the weather as one of the reasons they like living here - if you do a search on this forum you'll find many threads that might answer some of your questions about whether this would be a good fit for you.

But as mentioned, rents here have sky-rocketed in the past few years, and continue to go up. The more research you do ahead of your move, the better. If you've never been, perhaps a visit will help you make a decision.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or