U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 10:48 AM

3,901 posts, read 1,547,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenBoosted View Post
Being relatively new here (hit my 1 year anniversary this month!) where is the former Intel plant?
It was on Garden of the Gods road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2018, 11:36 AM

2,786 posts, read 1,769,695 times
Quote:
Being relatively new here (hit my 1 year anniversary this month!) where is the former Intel plant? I see it says on GoG... is that where Google Maps says Agilent is?

https://goo.gl/maps/56cVzoxbCp72
Agilent is the old Hewlett Packard plant. Intel was across Garden of the Gods Road on the south side. Nextdoor to that was Plasmon, and innovator in optical disc storage way back in the 80s.

Some other old tech company throwbacks - Texas Instruments was on Mark Dabling Rd north of Rockrimmon Blvd. Apple was in Fountain off the interstate. Digital Equipment had their plant in an isolated valley off Rockrimmon Blvd. Cray Computer was off Quail Lake Rd. Ford Microelectronics was off Highway 83, now known as Voyager Parkway. Honeywell was off Cheyenne Mtn Blvd.

Old 07-03-2018, 12:06 PM

4,196 posts, read 1,892,030 times
Quote:
Being relatively new here (hit my 1 year anniversary this month!) where is the former Intel plant? I see it says on GoG... is that where Google Maps says Agilent is?

You've probably been to "part" of it if You've done any business with the county.

On the west side is the parking garage & the El Paso County Citizens center but it's a massive complex of buildings that stretches to the east & south. It was designed with some of the grounds being top secret/restricted areas (for DOD contracts) so you can't access it from the south. You can come up from Centennial (behind Fedex) or GOG.

Old 07-03-2018, 12:10 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
21,025 posts, read 37,995,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
Agilent is the old Hewlett Packard plant. Intel was across Garden of the Gods Road on the south side. Nextdoor to that was Plasmon, and innovator in optical disc storage way back in the 80s.

Some other old tech company throwbacks - Texas Instruments was on Mark Dabling Rd north of Rockrimmon Blvd. Apple was in Fountain off the interstate. Digital Equipment had their plant in an isolated valley off Rockrimmon Blvd. Cray Computer was off Quail Lake Rd. Ford Microelectronics was off Highway 83, now known as Voyager Parkway. Honeywell was off Cheyenne Mtn Blvd.
Ugh, what an obituary! I am so pleased to have been able to participate in the innovation (and decent wages / career) of the 'late' Colorado tech boom.

And the above decline is only COS!!!

Look at NoCo (Boulder / Windsor / Ft Collins / Loveland / Longmont / Louisville...) Possibly Looking at 200,000+ high paying jobs and support services that got wiped out in a decade. Many left to make space for your immigrants, but...

I know a LOT of 'ex' engineers working as handymen / Costco / Budweiser warehouse / picking up popcans...

Bitcoin has wiped out a lot of good business space in Eastern WA (very Cheap power). no jobs...(very few) just a resource / infrastructure hog.

Old 07-03-2018, 12:16 PM

539 posts, read 235,196 times
Quote:

Search for Intel Way. It will put you right where it used to be. Garden of the Gods and Centennial.

Old 07-03-2018, 12:33 PM

78 posts, read 59,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post

Wow, Cray and Apple had offices here?! What a shame all of those companies left for one reason or another.

Old 07-03-2018, 01:31 PM

402 posts, read 192,402 times
Quote:
Wow, Cray and Apple had offices here?! What a shame all of those companies left for one reason or another.
If I recall Seymour Cray committed suicide by driving into a bridge support near the N. Academy/I-25 exit.

His business was not doing very well at that point.

Who needs these types of businesses?

We have so many exciting chain restaurants with jobs that people are clamoring to get to- once they get thru the 2-3 light cycles on N. Powers Blvd.

Last edited by LHS79; 07-03-2018 at 01:42 PM..

Old 07-03-2018, 01:44 PM

402 posts, read 192,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Ugh, what an obituary! I am so pleased to have been able to participate in the innovation (and decent wages / career) of the 'late' Colorado tech boom.

Look at NoCo (Boulder / Windsor / Ft Collins / Loveland / Longmont / Louisville...) Possibly Looking at 200,000+ high paying jobs and support services that got wiped out in a decade. Many left to make space for your immigrants, but...

I know a LOT of 'ex' engineers working as handymen / Costco / Budweiser warehouse / picking up popcans...

Bitcoin has wiped out a lot of good business space in Eastern WA (very Cheap power). no jobs...(very few) just a resource / infrastructure hog.

I remember a bunch of Ex-MCI guys that started a brew pub in downtown Co. Spgs. and that business lasted maybe a year since the beer was so bad.

Better stick with what you are good at!

https://www.csbj.com/1998/06/05/thun...r-opera-house/

Old 07-03-2018, 03:24 PM

155 posts, read 217,016 times
Quote:

The one thing that causes Colorado Springs to suffer through these 10-20 year boom/bust cycles is: large companies do not locate their corporate headquarters here. All of those big name outfits listed earlier, were subsidiaries and outlier operations...the first to go when business declined.

Old 07-03-2018, 05:04 PM

2,786 posts, read 1,769,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

Yes, it is a very sad obituary. While COS isn't the only community to feel that pain, nor is CO, the loss of manufacturing has contributed significantly to a decline in quality of life across many income lines in many places throughout this country. If those $80k engineers are now doing mid level work at $60k, then it trickles downstream from there so the mid level people have taken over entry level work and entry level people are now standing on corners. Many of my friends, while having recovered somewhat from massive layoffs and having had slow wage growth since then, have not seen in increase in actual purchasing power since the late 90s because of this.

FWIW, Agilent only occupies a portion of what HP originally did. The Intel plant is only partially occupied by the county. Texas Instruments plant is empty again after having gone through several different tenants. The Apple plant is still empty. the Digital plants were torn down and are gone. Others have remained and been partitioned up for use by other entities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoYoSpin View Post
Quote:
The one thing that causes Colorado Springs to suffer through these 10-20 year boom/bust cycles is: large companies do not locate their corporate headquarters here. All of those big name outfits listed earlier, were subsidiaries and outlier operations...the first to go when business declined.
True, but I don't think back in the 1970s, anyone thought that the technology driven manufacturing sectors were going to become so commodity driven as to be shipped off to foreign countries. I've got more opinions about the how and why, but this isn't the place to share them.

Its also not easy to convince a major corporate entity to pick up and relocate the heart of its operations unless you really incintivise them to do so. That is a very slippery slope to manage over time because if a company will move here for perks, what is there to retain them when someone offers them more goodies than you do or corporate directors change over with a different point of view or set of priorities?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or