Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 02:06 PM

665 posts, read 1,294,647 times

Advertisements

What areas is this allowed? Ideally we'd like to buy a small piece of land somewhere in the Woodland Park area that we could build a little cabin on later. But for now we're interested in living in an RV until we build. We'd like to be within 30-40 minutes of downtown COS but don't know what our options are. I've tried looking for this information but have not found anything useful. Any information or insight would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 02:48 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,164,857 times
You might have to find a place that is not part of a subdivision, as many have rules about living out of an RV or camper for extended periods of time.

Just found this regarding land use regulations in Teller County in general:
http://www.co.teller.co.us/cdsd/plan...ns11-21-05.pdf
If you search within the document for 'camp' or 'recreational vehicle', it sounds like there are restrictions that would prevent you from doing this.

Camping. Camping on a residential lot is permitted only when the following requirements are met:
1. Sewage shall be disposed of either at an off-site facility or by means of an on-site disposal system. In either case, the facility or system must be one currently permitted and approved by Teller County.
2. Compliance with all minimum setbacks for the zone district.
3. Camping on any property over 60 days in any continuous 12-month period will be considered a permanent residence and will be in violation of these Regulations.
4. No more than two camping units, per lot, are allowed.

Last edited by beezle1; 09-17-2012 at 03:03 PM..

Old 09-17-2012, 03:10 PM

Doesn't look promising, but I understand why. I imagine El Paso County is the same, if not more restrictive.

Thank you kindly for your reply!

Old 09-17-2012, 04:06 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,164,857 times
Found this in the El Paso County land development code. Looks like they are not quite as restrictive as Teller County, but still have restrictions based on time.

5.2.48. Temporary Housing
Manufactured homes, post-1976 mobile homes, pre-1976 mobile homes where the
zoning allows or recreational vehicles may be used to provide temporary housing for the
owner of a lot or parcel during the construction of a permanent dwelling on the lot or
parcel, subject to temporary use permit requirements. The duration of the temporary
housing shall not exceed 12 months unless a renewal is granted. The temporary housing
shall be removed from the site at the end of the 12 month period or following completion
of the construction, whichever comes first. An extension of time may be granted by the
DSD Director following a finding that significant progress has been made in the
construction of the permanent dwelling or there have been circumstances beyond the
control of the property owner that have delayed construction. A recreational vehicle shall
only be used as temporary housing under a temporary use permit if a building permit has
been issued and remains active for a permanent dwelling.

Land Development Code

Old 09-17-2012, 06:25 PM

Hmm. Very interesting. Thanks!

Old 09-17-2012, 08:16 PM

914 posts, read 2,204,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allprolab View Post
What areas is this allowed? Ideally we'd like to buy a small piece of land somewhere in the Woodland Park area that we could build a little cabin on later. But for now we're interested in living in an RV until we build. We'd like to be within 30-40 minutes of downtown COS but don't know what our options are. I've tried looking for this information but have not found anything useful. Any information or insight would be greatly appreciated.
Downtown Woodland Park to downtown Colorado Springs is going to push your time limit pretty hard as it is 25 minutes from WP to US 24/I-25. You might go as far west as Divide and still just barely make 40 minutes if you stay real close to highway 24. Even then I have my doubts.

Note that the restrictions are on long term camping. Leaving an rv in situ and coming for weekends or a couple of weeks a year are not restricted in any way by the county. However, many (most?) subdivisions' covenants do not permit you to park an rv on a bare piece of ground and leave it there indefinitely.

Suggestion: Rent a small house in or near Woodland Park. Spend the next few months looking for the land you want - take your time and find the property you want at the price you want to pay. Maybe you can find a place already built that would suit you and you would not have to hassle with building. Maybe you find you DON'T want to commute after all; in which case you have saved yourself a fortune. At the very least by taking your time and shopping carefully you should be able to save yourself enough money on the land purchase to pay for six months rent.

Final thought - building lots or acreages in the mountains are way easier to buy than they are to sell.

Old 04-13-2014, 01:37 PM

1 posts, read 38,298 times
There are some great ideas here, and think most would also apply to tiny house as well. Like this site suggests.
[url=http://tinyhousesonwheels.blogspot.ca/p/find-parking-for-your-tiny-house.html]Tiny Houses on Wheels: Parking[/url]
I have been thinking about making his jump for some time and I think it’s about time. I am not old enough to retire, but really too to think about another 30 year mortgage. I am really leaning toward fulltime RV living, possibly in a little house (best of both).

Old 04-14-2014, 10:48 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,096,821 times
That tiny house thing is pretty cool. For someone that wanted to be a traveling nurse, having one of those to take around the country would be pretty awesome.

Old 02-02-2015, 07:34 AM

2 posts, read 37,950 times
Hi,
I just retired and wanted to buy a small piece of land in the mountains and live there for about 9 months a year (until winter). Are you telling me that I cant do this unless I will build a house? My sister has a house trailer by a lake in Pennsylvania and lives there for months at a time; are you telling me that I cant do this in Colorado?

Old 02-02-2015, 07:49 AM

242 posts, read 412,981 times
Every county has different restrictions but most will limit "camping" to ensure that a buncha gypsy camps don't spring up everywhere. Same thing with the houses on wheels/trailers/"tiny houses". Most areas won't allow such a dwelling. Too small...and no utilities/sanitation/etc.

Existing cabins/older dwellings that are built/in place will be everyone's best bet for finding a small, cozy dwelling. Any new construction....statewide, must comply with State electrical/sewage/well regs....even in those counties with "no codes".

good luck. Buy wisely and make sure the land you buy/area you buy into will allow you to do what you plan to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs