U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2018, 04:19 AM

4,330 posts, read 4,354,278 times

Advertisements

https://gazette.com/business/filling...bffb50d7c.html

"Itís often tough to find replacement retailers for so-called big-box stores of more than 50,000 square feet and junior boxes of 20,000 to 40,000 square feet, some commercial real estate experts say. And as brick-and-mortar sales sag and some chains downsize or go out of business in the face of online competition from Amazon and others, finding retailers to take over empty spaces can be especially difficult.

At the same time, finding users to take on large storefronts in older parts of town ó where household incomes are lower and therefore less attractive to retailers ó poses additional challenges."

I doubt that local physical retail is ever coming back. It's just too convenient for most people to shop on the internet.

But we have a giant shortage of housing for low income and homeless people.

What if?......We redeveloped some of those empty big box buildings as small apartments for low income housing?

Aside from NIMBYism, why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2018, 07:24 AM

649 posts, read 341,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
https://gazette.com/business/filling...bffb50d7c.html

"Itís often tough to find replacement retailers for so-called big-box stores of more than 50,000 square feet and junior boxes of 20,000 to 40,000 square feet, some commercial real estate experts say. And as brick-and-mortar sales sag and some chains downsize or go out of business in the face of online competition from Amazon and others, finding retailers to take over empty spaces can be especially difficult.

At the same time, finding users to take on large storefronts in older parts of town ó where household incomes are lower and therefore less attractive to retailers ó poses additional challenges."

I doubt that local physical retail is ever coming back. It's just too convenient for most people to shop on the internet.

But we have a giant shortage of housing for low income and homeless people.

What if?......We redeveloped some of those empty big box buildings as small apartments for low income housing?

Aside from NIMBYism, why not?
Umm...who will pay for that?

Old 07-02-2018, 07:25 AM

2,668 posts, read 1,669,907 times
Well, property owners or developers would. I'd imagine a cost analysis is also in order. What codes need to be met in such circumstances and how do you build it so systems are accessible and serviceable. What is the rate of return on it, etc. I'd imagine it isn't a huge margin business like building $600k+ homes, but it can provide profit. Numerous developers have made their bones on affordable housing.

It is an interesting idea and one that other places have experimented with. I'm sure our city leaders could discuss it with others. The biggest challenge of it is the perception of affordable housing=crime and chemical dependency. This is already an issues with some neighborhoods in the south-east part of the city. As noted, not only have retailers bailed on some sections of the city, so have basic community businesses like grocery and services like medical and dental.

Old 07-02-2018, 07:58 AM

5,006 posts, read 6,683,532 times
It is an interesting idea. As far as code, one of the biggest issues I see with what little I know of code is the requirement for a window in a bedroom for egress in event of an emergency. And then the need for so many bathrooms - unless people are willing to share the few already in the big box dorm-style - which I kind of doubt. But maybe there would be a market for it and a way for the people who own it to make it a workable business....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or