U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2018, 07:42 AM

331 posts, read 163,491 times

Advertisements

First day I have seen ash on my car that was parked outside last night- have smelled the southern fires for a few day but this was the first day I noticed the ash.

Pray for rain!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2018, 02:07 PM

5,003 posts, read 6,678,903 times
Yep me too, I noticed the ash on my car this morning also.

Old 07-03-2018, 02:09 PM

702 posts, read 442,309 times
It smells terrible. I can't imagine what the smell was like during the Waldo and Black Forest fires!

Old 07-03-2018, 03:00 PM

331 posts, read 163,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoodlemomCoS View Post
It smells terrible. I can't imagine what the smell was like during the Waldo and Black Forest fires!
I knew Waldo was bad on the night everything blew up- it smelled like an electrical fire and it was not just the smell of wood we had prior to that awful night.

You knew a lot of things were burning that were not made of wood

Old 07-03-2018, 03:42 PM

2,668 posts, read 1,666,689 times
I recall during Waldo Canyon that we not only had the fine, grey ash, but we had palm sized pieces of charred material floating in the air.

Old 07-04-2018, 07:05 AM

1,454 posts, read 2,079,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
I recall during Waldo Canyon that we not only had the fine, grey ash, but we had palm sized pieces of charred material floating in the air.
Yes, we had fully formed oak leaves made of ash that disintegrated when you touched them.

Old 07-09-2018, 01:03 AM

3,996 posts, read 1,774,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
I evacuated my three youngest children; (the youngest is disabled) & myself when it “firestormed” & had to wrap wet towels around their heads to run for the car because there were flaming embers the size of briefcases floating down all around us.

I had to use the windshield wipers to bat them off my windshield.

As it turns out; there was an error on the FEMA maps that had caused them to neglect to order our neighborhoods evacuation. I didn’t notice it until we were again forgotten during the post-fire sand bag distribution but one little wedge of the neighborhood where we lived had been erroneously zoned “Commercial” vs “Residential” & they were under the impression that all the businesses had voluntarily evacuated the day before.

My saving grace was that nobody knew they had just re-opened lower Dublin Rd from n. Nevada/I25 & I was able to quickly head east away from the inferno.

I don’t remember the smell as much as I remember feeling it approaching. I have microcytic anemia & when the fire started to “breathe” my body was having to compete for the oxygen. Sort of felt like I was in a glass jar with the lid screwed on & no holes poked in it.

Old 07-09-2018, 07:10 AM

9,098 posts, read 3,918,635 times
Are you and the kids okay? What about your house?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs