Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 06:59 PM

77 posts, read 86,033 times

Advertisements

In some fields it’s difficult to get hired without a local address. Many companies prefer not to fly candidates in for a job interview especially if the local talent pool is big enough to meet their needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2018, 07:02 PM

6,805 posts, read 10,443,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsFarSouthAsSouthGoes View Post
In some fields it’s difficult to get hired without a local address. Many companies prefer not to fly candidates in for a job interview especially if the local talent pool is big enough to meet their needs.
That's true. We don't fly candidates in but we do sometimes do Skype/Facetime interviews.

Old 07-11-2018, 07:20 AM

3,959 posts, read 4,342,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willc86 View Post
Ive met so many people who have no jobs and moved to COS. I probably hired 4 - 5 people on craigslist (not including people I met in walmart, target, even biking) stating they came here recently and have no jobs... why? Why come here with no job offer in hand? why here out of all different places.

sorry I might cause some controversy, but this baffles me. not trying to be rude or sound like it. Only reason I came to COS is because I was recruited from college. I had no intentions of coming here. But heck, I dont mind the population boom. Makes my property go up! also good for businesses and opening new places. just needs a big mall in my opinion

but honestly I have met so many people coming straight here with no plans...just showed up like heyyy im here...I have no job now but looking
Well, your perspective may be biased since you live here and are seeing it first hand. I'd imagine there are other areas of the country experiencing this as well.

Of course, it could be due to having one of the lowest unemployment rates in the nation that is attracting people here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Too much wishful thinking and idealism. Not enough practicality and wisdom.
IMO, there is nothing wrong with that when your in your 20s. If it doesn't work out, you are still young and mobile enough to move on. Once you are in your 40-50s and doing this, then you might be lacking wisdom, but we also don't know all the backstory behind some of these.

Old 07-11-2018, 07:41 AM

20,247 posts, read 14,477,175 times
The lack of local address thing is definitely valid, too. When the military brought my household here, I'd been working on trying to get hired by a particular company for a while before I arrived, but they didn't take me too seriously until I was actually HERE.

Old 07-11-2018, 03:02 PM

307 posts, read 244,446 times
Well, I'm moving to the Springs the end of this month, and I don't have a job, but my wife does (it's a very good job)...

I've got 10+ years in two different, but related trades and 5+ in another field. I'm optimistic that it won't take long for me to find work, but in the mean time, we've got savings enough that I don't have to take the first thing that comes along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs