U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 01:05 PM

924 posts, read 1,031,388 times

Advertisements

Yes, lower Skyway is a great suggestion.

I wondered at the 4 choices they came up with because 1) they didn't seem to match what they're looking for, and 2) because those four areas are wildly different from each other from what I can glean, being only familiar with the one I mentioned and Airport Rd.

If you haven't done so, take a "drive" using Google maps - that can give you somewhat of a feel for those neighborhoods. And as mentioned, ppar.com is a good resource.

Last edited by mtngigi; 07-12-2018 at 01:11 PM.. Reason: added info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 01:09 PM

18,893 posts, read 8,873,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thespykidinseattle View Post
so we have decided between these apartments:

1. Epernany Apartments
2915 Woodland Hills Dr
Colorado Springs, CO 80918

2. Residence at Austin Bluff Apartments
3555 WESTWOOD BLVD
COLORADO SPRINGS, CO

3. Stratus Apartments
4255 Airport Rd
Colorado Springs, CO 80910

4. Bellaire Ranch
4275 Sanders View Colorado Springs, CO 80916

any neighborhood you recommend not to live in considering the above apartments?
I shop at the King Soopers next to Residence At Austin Bluffs. I suggest you park there and hang out for an hour or two and see who hangs out there.

Old 07-12-2018, 01:25 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,922,763 times
Of those four, I know the area of #1 is really nice. You are near Cottonwood creek, they have a great park. There is a YMCA run fitness center there with an indoor pool. You are also very close to grocery shopping and good schools. It will feel more like a neighborhood than a random apartment complex.

#2- this is in a busy area. The good thing is you are close to grocery shopping, restaurants, etc... But, it will be noisy and not in the best of locations.

I don't know the areas near 3 and 4 as well to give an opinion.

Old 07-14-2018, 07:55 AM

2,668 posts, read 1,669,907 times
Epernay apartments are the newest units on your list, but are still over 35 years old. It is in the nicest area of the 4 you have looked at, and I'm sure they are well maintained, but they certainly have been lived in for a while. They are a bit isolated in a valley and you will have to drive a bit to get to shopping and eating.

Residence is not a bad area. Its a quiet pocket between Academy Blvd and Austin Bluffs Parkway. Its near Palmer Park, a large wildland urban park, close to UCCS and near shopping and some restaurants.

The other two are nicer units in the southeast part of town. Their specific locations are not particularly crime prone or unsafe, but the wider area they are in is a bit worn around the edges and nearby some very low income areas. The area just north of Airport Road is very low income and full of older duplex, triplex and fourplex units. Of these two, I'd probably chose Bellaire Ranch first. At least it is nestled in among some newer home construction.

Downtown can be a bit pricey as can Old Colo City (OCC) and they both lack apartment complexes like what you are looking at. Most of these will have old homes converted to apartments. You could look for small houses in Mesa Springs area, the near west side or the Bott neighborhoods for some possible budget friendly houses.

There is also the option of getting here, getting into any of the places you listed, then spend some time seeking out what areas you prefer. My daughter recently got her driving permit so we've been driving all over the city. I've noticed throughout many central and west side areas there are rentals being advertised with a sign out front and through no electronic medias. Being on the ground here and physically looking at places you want to be may net you bargains no one will ever find online.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 07-14-2018 at 09:52 AM.. Reason: Typos

Old 07-14-2018, 10:26 AM

574 posts, read 623,909 times
I also see the "For Rent" signs when driving around -- e.g. yesterday I saw a couple on Cheyenne Rd east of 8th Street. There are also a lot of duplexes, houses with an accessory apartment or rental cottage on the property, etc in that neighborhood, and I know of someone who was renting a fairly nice newer townhouse from a private owner. The situation in Old Colorado City is similar, AFAICT -- no big complexes, but you might luck out and find a nice individual property for rent. These are older neighborhoods that were built up before there were uniform zoning requirements so the current codes allow this mix of single-/multi-family housing that you won't find in the new developments.

Old 07-18-2018, 02:32 PM

216 posts, read 166,286 times
Is this a good area?

1050 Milano Point
Colorado Springs, CO 80921

Old 07-18-2018, 02:52 PM

20,308 posts, read 37,797,930 times
Yes, that's a very nice area. I lived nearby for 11 years.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-18-2018, 08:47 PM

649 posts, read 341,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thespykidinseattle View Post
Is this a good area?

1050 Milano Point
Colorado Springs, CO 80921
Very nice area. Very residential with some business and schools. Not many restaurants. A Sprouts nearby. The farthest from downtown you can get within the city limits.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:46 AM

2,668 posts, read 1,669,907 times
If you are considering Bella Springs, Id also suggest you check Camelback Pointe and Oasis, both in 80907, near Sonderman Open space, views both west and east of the city, near Garden of the Gods park and road, minutes from downtown, Old Colo Cit, and Manitou. This more central location may be a better for an active, childless couple. The further north you go in the city and county the more family centric and socially conservative it becomes. Many places are still very accepting, but without kids, you may find the northern areas less interesting.

Old 07-19-2018, 05:21 PM

9,742 posts, read 6,273,073 times
Don't let anybody put you off the idea of living in Colorado Springs or specifically the north side, due to "conservatism."

I'm involved with local pan-Leather people, and I'm a pretty strange character on many levels and I do nothing much to hide that. I live and work up north. (I live near Academy & Vickers and work near Voyager & Interquest.) In particular my work is nearish the notorious New Life Church and Focus on the Family locations, and people think that means that it's all churchy conservatives up here. Not so. My office, a big office, has a number of LGBT+ folks working here, and I see plenty of people out in the area who aren't your whitebread conformists, and no one is giving anyone a hard time. All I ever see of it is some bumper stickers (which you might see anywhere) and the occasional pamphlet stuck to my front door about salvation, and they're giving those to everyone. I'm saying...it is not a big deal. You can park a car with a rainbow bumper sticker right next to one with a religious or conservative sticker and not worry that they're going to vandalize your vehicle because it's just kinda "live and let live" as someone else mentioned.

And the north side is nice, in many areas. I recommend most of the apartment complexes up this way. I lived in Highland Park apartments near Academy & Union and I liked it there.

I would describe the north side, especially anywhere near Academy, as well developed middle to upper-middle class suburb vibe. Lots of "big box" business up this way. I don't exactly consider it to be "quiet" but that isn't because of loud drama or crime, it's just traffic and busy-ness. The Powers corridor can be similar.

If you want something with more character and arts, you'd be wanting to look at downtown to some extent, parts of the west side, and Manitou. But you also get more people wandering around wacky on drugs and being kind of a nuisance in some of those areas, more than elsewhere.

For $1,300 you can definitely get a nice place to rent, my 2BR at Highland Park was less than that, and my 4BR townhouse I rent now is barely over that amount. With one pet. The usual thing with a dog (or a cat) is you have to pay an extra pet deposit and/or fee up front, and/or pet rent which seems to run about $25/month from what I've seen.

I think you will love it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or