U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 09:41 PM

216 posts, read 166,175 times

Advertisements

hey ya’ll so my girlfriend and I are planning on moving to CS in early 2020 (saving up as much as we can before we go)

we will have jobs lined up, since our company let’s us transfer locations easily.

we’ve heard that CS is more conservative than denver, so we are concerned being an lgbt couple how well we will be tolerated here

we have a budget of $1300 for a studio or a small 1/1 with a dog. is that price range doable in downtown CS? if not, what are good neighborhoods to live in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2018, 09:49 PM

20,304 posts, read 37,784,136 times
Area is live and let live, especially the central part and west side known as OCC and Manitou Springs. The further north you go, aka Briargate/Monument the more conservative it gets. You'll be fine.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-11-2018, 06:43 AM

5,003 posts, read 6,678,903 times
There are plenty of lgbt folks here. My friends who are say it is just fine. I think your budget should be doable. I also second that the further north you go, the more conservative and less diverse the city is, generally speaking.

Old 07-11-2018, 07:23 AM

2,668 posts, read 1,666,689 times
You'll be fine. The ultra conservative persona that is in the media is not typical of the majority of Colo Spgs. There were companies in Colo Spgs offer domestic partner health care benefits 25 years ago and the list of those have only increased since then.

Old 07-11-2018, 07:56 PM

so we have decided between these apartments:

1. Epernany Apartments
2915 Woodland Hills Dr
Colorado Springs, CO 80918

2. Residence at Austin Bluff Apartments
3555 WESTWOOD BLVD
COLORADO SPRINGS, CO

3. Stratus Apartments
4255 Airport Rd
Colorado Springs, CO 80910

4. Bellaire Ranch
4275 Sanders View Colorado Springs, CO 80916

any neighborhood you recommend not to live in considering the above apartments?

Old 07-12-2018, 03:16 AM

1. Nice thing about it is it is near Cottonwood Creek (to me). Starting to get into the north part of town (more conservative), although I think this should be fine here. Lots of people like the Woodmen area.

2. A pretty busy area - not very quiet, imho. I think it is right next to a grocery store - traffic going at all hours, imho.

3. Some people don't like the area of town around Airport Rd. If you're big city girls this is probably just fine. But if you're coming from small towns or something, not so sure.

4. Pretty quiet little pocket if you're going to live on the southeast part of town. Kind of a dying little area, not up-and-coming, if that matters to you. Both 3 and 4 are near Murray Blvd. I have some friends who live off it and they complain about noise quite a bit. But I do think that could vary and maybe this second one would be pretty quiet. Relatively economically disadvantaged part of town for both of these.

I think of the 4 you listed, most people would recommend #1.

All four you've chosen are quite close to Academy Boulevard. Is this on purpose? Is there some reason you're trying to be close to it? That gives all them a certain flavor that is different from some you might find further east or west of it. I may have different criteria than you, but if I were going to buy an apartment right along a busy thoroughfare like Academy (or Union or Woodmen) would not be my first choice. Some people like though, for bus routes (which I don't recommend here - will take you forever to get anywhere) or because they like the traffic/crowds/noise/bustle relatively nearby. Commutes are such here that unless you're trying to save like one minute on your commute, there is no reason to be quite so close to busy roads unless you can't find something in your budget/rental criteria elsewhere - unless that is where you specifically want to be.

But, I don't know what criteria you're looking for and where your jobs will be. Do you care about crime maps and have you done any research on those if you do? None of these are anywhere near downtown or OCC like you said you wanted to be. Could you find something in maybe zip code 80904 - that would put you closer to where you said you wanted and with a range of budget options, or 80903 would put you right in the downtown area.

Have you visited here before? If not, I strongly encourage a visit and to each of these neighborhoods you're considering. Also, 2020 is still pretty far out - rents may change significantly by then, could be a few new complexes finished by then, etc.

Old 07-12-2018, 10:41 AM

We chose those apartments because of the prices. we've been to CS before and loved it. we would like to live closer to downtown (rent is more, but we have wiggle room if needed), but would still like to be under an hour or two from the mountains/camping/outdoor activities. we want to live in a safe neighborhood, and if it means having to pay a bit more each month, so be it.

Old 07-12-2018, 11:05 AM

Everything in the city is within an hour or two from mountains/camping/outdoor activities, but I would still suggest looking for something in 80904/80903 to match your stated preferences better. People's perception of safe varies, so it is hard to give solid advice. I would feel safe living most anywhere in Colorado Springs - but some people would knock some off your list because of their higher threshold. #3 would be the first to go, then #4, then #2 in terms of greatest to lowest quantity of people who might cite safety concerns.

Old 07-12-2018, 11:39 AM

924 posts, read 1,030,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thespykidinseattle View Post
We chose those apartments because of the prices. we've been to CS before and loved it. we would like to live closer to downtown (rent is more, but we have wiggle room if needed), but would still like to be under an hour or two from the mountains/camping/outdoor activities. we want to live in a safe neighborhood, and if it means having to pay a bit more each month, so be it.
Otowi has given you sound feedback on all those addresses. The one I'm most familiar with is Residence at Austin Bluff Apartments, because I used to work out near the intersection of Austin Bluffs and Academy, and I believe it's a reasonably safe area. Of course it's grown some since I last I had to do that commute.

Getting from there to the west/mountain side of town is a pretty straight shot from Austin Bluffs to Garden of the Gods Rd. and points west.

But really, getting to all outdoor activities is easy no matter where you are in the Springs, (except maybe the far northeastern reaches). You might want to look at Fountain as well - Fountain offers more reasonable rents (the last I knew), and is close enough to both city and nature stuff.

I admit to being biased, because I live on the relatively quieter west side, in Manitou Springs. Downtown is minutes away, and so are the mountains. I have no need or want to go to the (to me) over-grown areas of east and northeast Colorado Springs. The last time I drove there, traffic and new construction at Woodmen and Academy was confusing and too crazy for my taste.

Maybe widen your net a little further to see what pops up. If you like quieter and safer older neighborhoods, look to the west of downtown towards Old Colorado City. Yes, rents can be higher, but you've stated being willing to pay more for those features.

Old 07-12-2018, 12:30 PM

574 posts, read 623,270 times
My reaction to that list is also that none of those apartments are where you say you want to be.

Besides 80903/80904, I'd add 80905/80906 to your list. In Ivywild or lower Skyway you might be able to find a whole *house* to rent for $1300/month, not just a studio or small 1/1 apartment, and it's a decent neighborhood. You'll have a lot more options if you look outside of the big apartment complexes and consult Zillow or PPAR for rental listings offered by small-time landlords.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or