U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 07:57 PM

58 posts, read 19,953 times

Advertisements

Sterling Codifiers, Inc.

Here is a link to the City Code. You can do a word search. I have called Code Enforcement and used the online Complaint Form too. You will get a faster response if you call. When I have called, I do not remember them asking me my name, just the address of where the problem was at. Maybe things have changed. A couple of quick ones:

1. RVs (and 18 wheelers) are not allowed to be parked on a residential street.
2. Cars not moved for 72 hours can be considered abandoned.
3. Folks can not operate an auto repair shop out of their residential garage.
4. Cars must be parked a MINIMUM of 5 feet from the edge of a commercial or private driveway.
5. Sidewalks must be shoveled within 24 hours after the END of a snowstorm.
6. Cars can not be parked across a sidewalk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2018, 01:04 PM

397 posts, read 189,980 times
We have those sloped curbs on our street and I wish we had the straight up/down curbs.

People like to park halfway on the sidewalk- I assume so they feel safe from being side-swiped on the street. This makes it hard to walk on the sidewalk sometimes when half of it is blocked.

I usually just call the police and they will come by and leave a ticket on the car. Usually after that they never park on the sidewalk again- but they still park as far up the curb as they can.

Old 07-25-2018, 10:46 AM

703 posts, read 368,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS79 View Post
We have those sloped curbs on our street and I wish we had the straight up/down curbs.

People like to park halfway on the sidewalk- I assume so they feel safe from being side-swiped on the street. This makes it hard to walk on the sidewalk sometimes when half of it is blocked.

I usually just call the police and they will come by and leave a ticket on the car. Usually after that they never park on the sidewalk again- but they still park as far up the curb as they can.
What is the purpose of sloped curbs?

Old 07-25-2018, 10:50 AM

397 posts, read 189,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDog View Post
What is the purpose of sloped curbs?
I sure wish I knew!

Looking on Google there are some ADA guidelines etc....which may have something to do with it.

Our street has a combination of both sloped/straight curbs so not sure why that is.

Old 11-24-2018, 12:32 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,654,621 times
It is now several months later and the neighbor's trash and debris has tripled. Finally contacted code compliance and they said ongoing filthy conditions in alleys are not within their area of enforcement - so tough luck I guess. May just clean it up ourselves over time cause I am tired of looking at it.

Old 11-24-2018, 01:30 PM

802 posts, read 1,518,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
It is now several months later and the neighbor's trash and debris has tripled. Finally contacted code compliance and they said ongoing filthy conditions in alleys are not within their area of enforcement - so tough luck I guess.
It may be a fire hazzard, a right of way violation, or possibly a health department issue. Complain to the fire department, police, health department, environmental department, and every other agency you can find in the city directory. There is always some kind of limit to trash accumulation.

Old 11-24-2018, 01:32 PM

20,441 posts, read 38,086,859 times
Should that pile ever catch fire the FD will almost certainly force a cleanup.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-24-2018, 10:08 PM

4,666 posts, read 9,223,412 times
Quote:
It is now several months later and the neighbor's trash and debris has tripled. Finally contacted code compliance and they said ongoing filthy conditions in alleys are not within their area of enforcement - so tough luck I guess. May just clean it up ourselves over time cause I am tired of looking at it.
I like Arrby's answer!

But my response to what you were told is -- assuming that the alley is a public right-of-way (which you should verify), as most of them are, then they are guilty of letting this debris pile up on their property. I'd go right to the mayor's office and tell them that they have to clean up their mess. If they don't then go to your local tv station that does special interest stories. Take pictures and send them to everyone. Shame them into taking action!

I used to work in code compliance in a small city, and piles of trash in the alley were definitely in our area of enforcement. I think someone is lazy. BTW, if that is not a public alley, someone still has ownership. You could go to the county tax assessor's office and find that out.

Old 11-28-2018, 07:01 AM

191 posts, read 175,714 times
Quote:
They’re full of it. Sounds like you talked with someone who doesn’t want to do their job. Keep at ‘em, document everything and take LOTS of pictures. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Old 12-01-2018, 02:44 PM

45 posts, read 22,017 times
Sadly if your in El Paso county they don't give a crap about rules and regulations or zoning. We lived by a guy in Black Forest who moved his construction business to his property that was zoned residential and El Paso county didn't hold him to any part of the rules, mostly because he was going to pay them money for a variance. Didn't matter that the rest of the residents lived there to be in a residential area and in the country, El Paso county could have cared less. I sympathize. Wouldn't live in El Paso county again for anything. I would say, don't give up. Someone else is right, the squeaky wheel gets the grease (if your working with a good county)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs