U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 10:34 AM

1,266 posts, read 1,654,621 times

Advertisements

Would like to be live and let live but really tired of seeing neighbor's junk furniture, lumber piles, dead car and overflowing trashcans littering the alley behind their house. Also large RVs parked in the street all summer obstructing view of traffic. Are these things against residential code and enforceable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2018, 10:54 AM

1,460 posts, read 2,111,593 times
Call El Paso County Code enforcement and they should be able to direct you on what to do.

https://planningdevelopment.elpasoco...e-enforcement/

Old 07-16-2018, 11:19 AM
SYS

336 posts, read 1,001,661 times
I've had to use the El Paso County Code Enforcement to deal with my neighbor who, upon moving into our cul-de-sac some years ago, decided to park his semi-trailer truck in front of his house to avoid having to pay for the parking at the designated parking lot for such commercial vehicles. This was on top of his collection of junk jeeps. Since his garage was already filled to the brim with trash, he parked 5 of his junk jeeps on his driveway and in front of other neighbors' front lawns. His driveway is literally covered in oil leak. He stores some dangerous chemicals in between his house and another neighbor, as well.

We dealt effectively with the Code Enforcement only with regard to the semi-truck issue, however. Yesterday, he woke me up at 7 a.m. mowing his lawn. I don't know whether there's any code enforcement for such. This man is known to pull a gun on anyone who rings his doorbell, so the rest of my cul-de-sac neighbors try to stay away from him.

One thing I really don't like about the Code Enforcement is that you have to reveal your identity in order to complain on a neighbor. I believe this is the reason why the rest of the issues (storage of dangerous chemical and the pile of junk jeep collection) aren't dealt with, since no one wants to let their identities be known by filing a complaint to the Code Enforcement. The man seems to know that I'm the one who filed the complaint regarding his semi-truck, so things are already tense as it is.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:25 PM

1,460 posts, read 2,111,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYS View Post
One thing I really don't like about the Code Enforcement is that you have to reveal your identity in order to complain on a neighbor. I believe this is the reason why the rest of the issues (storage of dangerous chemical and the pile of junk jeep collection) aren't dealt with, since no one wants to let their identities be known by filing a complaint to the Code Enforcement. The man seems to know that I'm the one who filed the complaint regarding his semi-truck, so things are already tense as it is.
Hmm, the site clearly says you can report anonymously. "Citizens may report a violation anonymously; however, citizens are encouraged to provide their contact information when submitting a complaint. This information will not be made available to the public and will allow Code Enforcement staff to contact citizens to provide updates or request additional information."

Old 07-16-2018, 12:36 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,654,621 times
I looked at the complaint form and it appears that only an email is required so I guess I will give it a shot. These folks have had code compliance out before (as well as cops for domestic violence) but nothing ever gets cleaned up.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:57 PM
SYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by beezle1 View Post
Hmm, the site clearly says you can report anonymously. "Citizens may report a violation anonymously; however, citizens are encouraged to provide their contact information when submitting a complaint. This information will not be made available to the public and will allow Code Enforcement staff to contact citizens to provide updates or request additional information."
They must have changed that since I last reported a few years back. I remember I had to provide my name. In any case, the anonymous reporting is great. Thanks for the correction.

Old 07-16-2018, 03:04 PM

703 posts, read 368,123 times
I take it that you don’t have an HOA?

Old 07-16-2018, 06:16 PM

4,437 posts, read 4,475,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDog View Post
I take it that you donít have an HOA?

Old 07-16-2018, 08:23 PM
SYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDog View Post
I take it that you donít have an HOA?
Nope, one time I wish I had....

Old 07-17-2018, 01:41 PM

576 posts, read 636,107 times
If you live in the City of Colorado Springs and not unincorporated El Paso county, the city has its own complaint form.

https://coloradosprings.gov/neighbor...complaint-form
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs