U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 07-17-2018, 08:33 AM
 
331 posts, read 163,491 times
Reputation: 532

Advertisements

Looks like the mayor is getting worried we will not have any more local tax increases approved in C/S if the State passes the road tax bill in November. We will have (probably) the highest combined tax rate in the country. Who woulda thunk that would ever happen in our fine city?

I agree and hopefully others will do the same and sign the petition: https://gazette.com/opinion/editoria...bfd3d539c.html

With no more local tax increases guess who they will come to next? HOMEOWNERS!

Wondering is the 70%+ who want the State tax increase are RENTERS?

At least the recent transplants still think is it "still better than where we came from". For folks who grew up here or long-time residents on fixed incomes not so much.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-17-2018, 08:39 AM
 
Location: Charleston SC
27 posts, read 12,266 times
Reputation: 20
oh boy! thinking of a move to COS. What is the existing/proposed combined tax rate?

TY!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2018, 12:10 PM
 
20,304 posts, read 37,784,136 times
Reputation: 18081
Total tax load by state. NY is in first place with the highest total tax load. Colorado is 35th. Nowhere near "the highest combined tax rate in the country."
__________________
- Please follow our TOS.
- Any Questions about City-Data? See the FAQ list.
- Want some detailed instructions on using the site? See The Guide for plain english explanation.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2018, 12:37 PM
 
1,245 posts, read 1,630,873 times
Reputation: 1499
Moved here from TX (don't worry, I'm a CO native) where my property taxes were approaching $12,000 annually for a very modest house. Bought same here and my property taxes are just over $1,000 for a larger house.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2018, 12:50 PM
 
574 posts, read 623,270 times
Reputation: 941
Yup, property taxes in Colorado are really cheap compared to MANY other states. Take a look at taxes in New Haven CT sometime. :-O

Personally, I would not mind paying more property taxes if we got more services for them. Not just the potholes and street repair that everybody complains about, but I've never lived in any other city that didn't provide municipal trash pickup and recycling and plow residential streets in the winter.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2018, 01:14 PM
 
424 posts, read 176,153 times
Reputation: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS79 View Post
Looks like the mayor is getting worried we will not have any more local tax increases approved in C/S if the State passes the road tax bill in November. We will have (probably) the highest combined tax rate in the country. Who woulda thunk that would ever happen in our fine city?

I agree and hopefully others will do the same and sign the petition: https://gazette.com/opinion/editoria...bfd3d539c.html

With no more local tax increases guess who they will come to next? HOMEOWNERS!

Wondering is the 70%+ who want the State tax increase are RENTERS?

At least the recent transplants still think is it "still better than where we came from". For folks who grew up here or long-time residents on fixed incomes not so much.
Nice alarmist post. We are not even close to having the heaviest tax burden.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2018, 02:03 PM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
3,786 posts, read 1,464,109 times
Reputation: 2894
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Nice alarmist post. We are not even close to having the heaviest tax burden.
We also saw what super low taxes brought us. I remember back in 2008 the Springs was pothole riddled mess. I welcome new reasonable tax increases there is no way I want the old Springs back with how it used to be run.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2018, 02:10 PM
 
5,003 posts, read 6,678,903 times
Reputation: 4517
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
We also saw what super low taxes brought us. I remember back in 2008 the Springs was pothole riddled mess. I welcome new reasonable tax increases there is no way I want the old Springs back with how it used to be run.
Me either!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2018, 02:10 PM
 
424 posts, read 176,153 times
Reputation: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
We also saw what super low taxes brought us. I remember back in 2008 the Springs was pothole riddled mess. I welcome new reasonable tax increases there is no way I want the old Springs back with how it used to be run.
Or every other street light turned off.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2018, 02:12 PM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
3,786 posts, read 1,464,109 times
Reputation: 2894
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Or every other street light turned off.
We were quite literally the laughing stock of the country to.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top