U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 08:42 PM

27 posts, read 9,005 times

Advertisements

The biggest reason for an HOA is to maintain formality and uniformity within a given community. The reason there are so many regulations, covenants, restrictions, and bylaws is due to the many differing instances that have occurred causing such items to be addressed. Each instance can essentially cause the need to create another restriction, or rule to address the matter. Living within an HOA is a choice and along with that choice comes the responsibility to abide by their rules. However, I do believe there needs to be some reform within HOA communities; there are instances that should take priority and are more pressing than others. HOA representatives should know how to use varying degrees of critical thinking and common sense when dealing with the menial versus the monumental issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 04:18 AM

4,330 posts, read 4,357,227 times
Default Just Curious

With regards to HOAs....

There are two relatively new issues: Smoking or growing pot and Air BnB short term rentals.

Have HOAs updated their rules to proscribe or control these two?

I can image that short term rentals could generate parking and noise issues and pot can create obnoxious odors. With so many new developments having houses just 10 feet apart, your neighbor could quickly become a royal pain the the arse.

Old 07-23-2018, 12:17 PM

18,901 posts, read 8,878,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
HOA hold a yearly meeting to tell you they are raising rates just because they can. They should focus on handling the extreme cases people don't want to see in the neighborhood instead of nitpicking every little thing a homeowner does.
I agree.

The problem is that a lot of people who want to run for HOA boards -- particularly for HOA president -- are authoritarian type people.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:48 AM

608 posts, read 320,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
With regards to HOAs....

There are two relatively new issues: Smoking or growing pot and Air BnB short term rentals.

Have HOAs updated their rules to proscribe or control these two?

I can image that short term rentals could generate parking and noise issues and pot can create obnoxious odors. With so many new developments having houses just 10 feet apart, your neighbor could quickly become a royal pain the the arse.
Most I've read have rules at least against short term rentals or renting out more than the whole house.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:06 AM

15,632 posts, read 8,758,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
HOA hold a yearly meeting to tell you they are raising rates just because they can. They should focus on handling the extreme cases people don't want to see in the neighborhood instead of nitpicking every little thing a homeowner does.
Depends on the HOA. Our rates can't be raised without a vote, which means it's always a battle to make ends meet. Practically had to move heaven and earth to get the community to agree to a much-needed HOA boost of $10/month. Our fees had not been raised in something like twenty years, and they were ridiculously low already. And I don't think our board is all that picky about landscaping and renovations. I've never had an issue getting anything approved.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:24 AM

8,222 posts, read 12,814,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You expect a government department to fix your private neighborhood's brick wall?
Well, the government fixes the roads in my private neighborhood, don't they? The wall is part of the median in the entrance to the neighborhood, so it may very well be considered a part of the street. Certainly, it's public space and not attached to anyone's property. Recently, the city fixed some deteriorating curbs at the entrance to our cul-de-sac so the wall at the entrance to the neighborhood does not seem like a such a stretch. There is no need to be condescending if you think I'm wrong.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:48 AM

20,308 posts, read 37,804,669 times
Our HOA was set up so that we could raise dues without a vote if we stayed within the CPI. Above that amount needed a simple majority vote. Never ceased to amaze me how some people in half million dollar homes could whine like stuck pigs over a $15 annual increase. We were accused to every crime in the books by a few of the paranoid types; one made her annual dues check payable to "The Crooks at XXXX HOA." The bank took the check.

One thing to beware of with a new community is that developers often do a lousy job on the common area landscaping, trees, sprinklers, etc, and the new community may have a special assessment to fix things. We had that issue, cost every homeowner $220 to buy out the problems. Many developers will use the cheapest crap sprinkler products and leave the main valves wide open to thievery. Maybe it was about six years ago when many HOAs had their brass valves cut out in a wave of thefts; we lost ours and woke up to a geyser of water. The wasted water ran up our bill with CSU by $5,000.00 but CSU agreed to forego that amount. Insurance covered replacing the valves and we put a locked cage around the valves. Fun. Fun. Fun.

Another continuing item of HOA fun was the repeated theft of the lettering on our stone monument at the entrance. We finally paid thousands to fix the monuments with lettering that was integral to the monument and not merely attached with hardware or adhesives.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-25-2018, 06:12 PM

Well, for anyone who is interested, I contacted the city though the "street maintenance request form" on their website explaining the brick wall at the entrance to our neighborhood. I was correct that the city is responsible for it, specifically the "Briargate Special Improvement Maintenance District (SIMD)" who responded me to and very kindly explained that they will have someone look into it but it's very unlikely to get fixed soon as they are essentially broke!

"there are some significant matters with the Briargate SIMD funding that are significantly impacting our level of maintenance. An evaluation of available funding has shown that when compared to other SIMDs (most notably Norwood and Stetson Hills), Briargate has significantly less assessed valuation available per maintained acre to levy upon for revenues.
[...]
The Briargate SIMD board (a Council appointed board responsible for district oversight) and City staff is working to find solutions to these budget shortfalls, unfortunately the root of the problem is that the District was created without an adequate funding source to provide proper maintenance, especially with water costs having over doubled in recent years. The options to raise revenues have proven to be difficult possibilities to achieve."

Well, now I'm more concerned about the future state of all of Briargate than the brick wall.

Old 07-25-2018, 08:00 PM

652 posts, read 341,644 times
There is a city of Colorado Springs app you can use to report issues. Don’t know if it gets results.

Old 07-26-2018, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDog View Post
There is a city of Colorado Springs app you can use to report issues. Donít know if it gets results.
I'm sure it probably goes to the same place the form on their website does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs