U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 03:07 PM

1,454 posts, read 2,079,841 times

Advertisements

Yep you will need to add something to your soil - compost or garden soil. And water every day that you don't get rain. It is pretty late to start anything, but you may find potted veggie plants that you can put out now.

We have had good luck with beets, green onions, green beans, zucchini, yellow squash and pattypan (any of the summer squash). Radishes do well, and kohlrabi. Herbs like sage, rosemary, thyme, chives and basil do well. We tried lettuce and greens, but the bugs got on them too bad. When you are looking at seed and plants, pay attention to the days to harvest on the label and pick the ones that are fewer days. We put up a hail screen over our gardens that we leave in place until about mid july. This year we are fighting deer - am trying bird netting over the garden as that will probably also prevent the deer from doing damage. In prior years, we have fought grasshoppers too. Seems like it something different every few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2018, 05:55 PM

924 posts, read 1,030,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willc86 View Post
Hey all, was wondering if you guys have any success growing fruits or veggies outdoors in Colorado springs? I tried a few but just doesnt seem to work for me. Maybe the weeds are the problems? Again this is for outdoors

Do you guys have any recommendations what does well in our dry weather? My soil is also very dry, but I am going to try a watering irrigation system to see if that will help.

If so, what have you guys grown? what can I plant around this time (july aug)
Yes! The local deer and bear population have nothing but great things to say about my free salad bar.

Old 07-23-2018, 05:51 AM

680 posts, read 406,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngigi View Post
Yes! The local deer and bear population have nothing but great things to say about my free salad bar.
lol nice!

I might end up trying a green house next year and see how that goes; but I guess for now I can try out some containers and plant them on my deck. I dont think bugs go up there nor do the deers and rabbits

thanks for all feed back! definitely will try those veggies out! For now, I can do a pot or 2 outdoors and maybe 1 or 2 solo cups of lettuce indoors with a grow light. hopefully that will give me some kind of experience!

Old 07-23-2018, 08:56 AM

2,668 posts, read 1,666,689 times
We have what would be considered raised beds at my house. We use largish tubs/basins from Big R or such. Have pretty good luck with tomatoes, peppers, any variety of squash, carrots, lettuce and a variety of herbs, and strawberries. I have cherry tree that produces pretty decent baking cherries (kinda bitter), and my neighbors have apple and peach trees that produce a lot, but tend to be smaller fruit (take forever to ripen). We did corn one year and got ears, but they were kind small. I've got grapes, but don't tend to them at all. They have gone wild and tend to sprout up along a fence, so I just leave em. Except for the grapes, these are all on the south side of my house so they get full sun exposure and protect from north and north-west weather. The eaves on my house are large enough to provide a fair amount of protection from heavy rains and hail so they don't flood with unexpected monsoons, but I can tarp them quickly if something particular vicious is heading in from the south.

Tomatoes, peppers, and some herbs we buy already started. For tomatoes, we get the biggest plants we can find. Other stuff will grow from seeds. Water is obviously a big factor and is required daily. My wife works from home so she can water early in the morning or give them a splash on particularly hot days. If you are away from the home you would want some sort of programmable irrigation, even if it is a better powered controller on your hose.

We've already had all our strawberries in mid- June. Started getting squash and tomatoes by late June. Will have some peppers this week. Small carrots are available now, but we usually leave them so they get bigger. Already on our second planting of lettuce.

Old 07-23-2018, 09:50 AM

7 posts, read 1,737 times
My wife and I garden. In talking with other gardeners, this has been a bad year for tomatoes (slow growing, small fruit). Our eggplants all died. Zucchini is doing well, as are sugar peas, chard, and rhubarb. We have several fruit trees. Pears are good this year, as are Italian plums and nectarines. Know that some of the fruit is dinged up from the last hail storm. And you have to water the trees at least every other day during the hot weather. Veges should be watered everyday.

You will love gardening in Colorado Springs. Like in 2014 when we had a late frost in May which killed most everything. LOL.

Old 07-23-2018, 02:25 PM

Quote:
lol nice!

I might end up trying a green house next year and see how that goes; but I guess for now I can try out some containers and plant them on my deck. I dont think bugs go up there nor do the deers and rabbits

thanks for all feed back! definitely will try those veggies out! For now, I can do a pot or 2 outdoors and maybe 1 or 2 solo cups of lettuce indoors with a grow light. hopefully that will give me some kind of experience!
I have had years where I've lucked out with container gardening, and years where everything gets eaten, but not by me. My yard is wide open to critters and is their "highway" to the watering hole that is Fountain Creek close by.

This last May, I had just potted geraniums to put on my porch steps. The very next day I spotted a big dark shadow on my porch ... lo and behold a deer had just eaten all the geranium flowers from the pots on the two top steps. I'm guessing it couldn't "back down" the stairs, so it came all the way onto the porch ... it went flying when I opened the door and yelled at it.

All this is to say that you shouldn't assume they can't get onto your deck if there's an open stairway to it and they're hungry enough.

What does work well is to sprinkle cayenne pepper all around the base of your plants. The hotter the better. Works for critters and bugs. I get the big cheap spice containers of cayenne that Big Lots sells.

Old 07-24-2018, 11:20 AM

680 posts, read 406,059 times
oh man i think im getting scared of gardening now lol!

So being a new gardener....seems lettuce, peas, tomatoes, beets and onions do well!

Old 07-26-2018, 03:41 PM

Quote:
oh man i think im getting scared of gardening now lol!

So being a new gardener....seems lettuce, peas, tomatoes, beets and onions do well!
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you off gardening! There are plenty of successful gardens in the Pikes Peak region, and I have had summers of good luck with my mostly container gardening because they were not "discovered" by critters and I was more vigilant. I found that when I kept the containers close to the house and porch they were more often left alone. My neighbor's dog, who visits quite regularly, may have helped too. I've had good luck with potatoes - the critters can't see the root veggies, lol.

Gardening here can be more of a challenge than in other parts of the country; the hungry, abundant wildlife can make it difficult, especially here on the west side and in Manitou, where we're a bit closer to the foothills (so I've mostly given up). But that doesn't mean you'll have the same experience.

My property is not fenced in, so of course my plants are a prime target. With flowers, it's mostly marigolds because the deer won't eat them.

Start seeds indoors early next winter and go for it.

Last edited by mtngigi; 07-26-2018 at 03:41 PM.. Reason: revisions

Old 07-26-2018, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
We have what would be considered raised beds at my house. We use largish tubs/basins from Big R or such. Have pretty good luck with tomatoes, peppers, any variety of squash, carrots, lettuce and a variety of herbs, and strawberries. I have cherry tree that produces pretty decent baking cherries (kinda bitter), and my neighbors have apple and peach trees that produce a lot, but tend to be smaller fruit (take forever to ripen). We did corn one year and got ears, but they were kind small. I've got grapes, but don't tend to them at all. They have gone wild and tend to sprout up along a fence, so I just leave em. Except for the grapes, these are all on the south side of my house so they get full sun exposure and protect from north and north-west weather. The eaves on my house are large enough to provide a fair amount of protection from heavy rains and hail so they don't flood with unexpected monsoons, but I can tarp them quickly if something particular vicious is heading in from the south.
I may have to lurk around your neighborhood to see if I can find your grapevines ... I'd love to have the leaves for stuffed grape leaves.

Old 07-26-2018, 04:24 PM

2,668 posts, read 1,666,689 times
That dang grape vine is like a weed. It was growing up the back up my house for a few years, nearly covering a door. I cut back everything near the door to a stump and it start growing up the side of the house. When I added on to the back of my house, it got buried under a few feet of concrete. Dang it if didn't pop up again a couple years later. Its since migrated to the fence, so I've just left it there.

My Great Grandparents had an extensive walk through trellis with red and white grapes in their backyard off Cascade Ave for as long as I could remember when I was a kid. They used it to make jellies and wine and at any given time there was a couple barrels of wine in the cellar. Was always a fun place to visit as a kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or