U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 03:27 PM

4,720 posts, read 1,832,477 times

Advertisements

Of course, one can have "church" at home or outdoors, alone or with others. There's no need to depend on an existing group, in an existing building, and compromising to all of that. Who knows, you might end up with something entirely healthier and worthwhile. People in the past tended to take the initiative like that, while today, many seem to wait for or depend on others.

Personally, the best 'church' would be one with no discussion or elements of politics whatsoever. Set the bar higher; subscribe to higher level of integrity.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 07-27-2018 at 04:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2018, 09:32 PM

18,116 posts, read 22,523,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Of course, one can have "church" at home or outdoors, alone or with others. There's no need to depend on an existing group, in an existing building, and compromising to all of that. Who knows, you might end up with something entirely healthier and worthwhile. People in the past tended to take the initiative like that, while today, many seem to wait for or depend on others.

Personally, the best 'church' would be one with no discussion or elements of politics whatsoever. Set the bar higher; subscribe to higher level of integrity.
There is an overlap however. Do we stand by and hope that aggressively racist leaders stop spewing divisive venom?

Set the bar even HIGHER. There can be no peace, where there is oppression and hatred. We are in "1930s Germany". Trump is telling us all what he wants to do and what he is. Let us take him at his word.

So many German people did not believe Hitler. Or they attended churches that were silent. They thought it was a good idea to make Germany great again. And that other stuff he said was just Hitler mouthing off, and standing up for Germany.

Later, the churches were forced to be silent. It was to late.

Old 07-28-2018, 08:29 PM

200 posts, read 186,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin777 View Post
Seeing the trolls makes it very difficult to ever want to step foot in a church again and the evangelicals have blown their "witness" - why would ANYONE ever want to visit a church after seeing this hate spew?!! If I wasn't strong in my faith and aware of how far off they are from God's heart, as stated in the Bible, I would be done!!!! In the Bible it talks about how the world will think they are doing a good thing by putting Christians to death, in the last days - for the first time, I can see how that can happen. I don't believe these people are true Christians, because Trump's missions go against so many scriptures, however, wearing the title of "evangelical" is very damaging to the whole church.
Nailed it. Glad I could help.

Old 07-31-2018, 02:34 PM

28 posts, read 14,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin777 View Post
Born in the Springs, I see the prosperity message as a cult teaching. Go onto Youtube and listen to Francis Chan for an example of an evangelical who is not materialistic and preaches the Bible. My son just became Catholic a couple of years ago and I agree with you that their heart is in the right place - I just can't go along with some of their theology. I will take you up on your advice to look into the Orthodox branch. Thank you for being supportive!

Ironically I am thinking of relocating to the area, more-so Denver, but, I am an Orthodox Christian

Old 07-31-2018, 06:54 PM

5,164 posts, read 6,948,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx2Co19 View Post
Ironically I am thinking of relocating to the area, more-so Denver, but, I am an Orthodox Christian
We have a nice Orthodox community in Colorado Springs - not overly large, but pretty lively and active as far as I can tell.

Old 07-31-2018, 09:13 PM

14 posts, read 8,430 times
If you’re willing to explore a bit, also check out the Unitarian Universalist denomination.

Old 07-31-2018, 09:20 PM

2,904 posts, read 1,898,520 times
Despite the national media's obsession with evangelicals in our area, Cos actually has a very diverse range of religious options available throughout the city. Orthodox churches in Catholic, Eastern,and Greek denominations, Buddhists in Shinto, Theravada and Mahayana, Muslim, Jewish, Pagans, Wiccans, traditional Catholics and Episcopals, non-evangelical Protestant denominations, you name it, we probably have a place of worship for it.

Old 08-01-2018, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
We have a nice Orthodox community in Colorado Springs - not overly large, but pretty lively and active as far as I can tell.
Yea that's what I've heard from people I know in Denver. I'll be moving to metro Denver but wouldn't mind checking out Sts. Constantine & Helen. However, I'm not sure the Orthodox Church would be the church that OP is looking for. I'm cradle Orthodox and by-and-large Orthodox tend to be much more on the conservative spectrum. This doesn't necessarily equate to "Trump voter," but, most of the Russians/Greeks/Arabs I know have lived through hard times and come from more socially conservative countries, and they tend to vote that way themselves

Old 08-01-2018, 08:30 AM

4,131 posts, read 1,663,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx2Co19 View Post
Yea that's what I've heard from people I know in Denver. I'll be moving to metro Denver but wouldn't mind checking out Sts. Constantine & Helen. However, I'm not sure the Orthodox Church would be the church that OP is looking for. I'm cradle Orthodox and by-and-large Orthodox tend to be much more on the conservative spectrum. This doesn't necessarily equate to "Trump voter," but, most of the Russians/Greeks/Arabs I know have lived through hard times and come from more socially conservative countries, and they tend to vote that way themselves
I agree that many Orthodox tend be more conservative however not all. I consider myself fairly progressive and am Eastern Orthodox.

Old 08-01-2018, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
I agree that many Orthodox tend be more conservative however not all. I consider myself fairly progressive and am Eastern Orthodox.
Oh for sure. The norm just seems to be conservative. The only progressives I've meet have been in GOARCH, but, even then they tend to be more conservative than progressive Catholics I know
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or