U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 03:39 PM

18,118 posts, read 22,535,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzarkChickenLover View Post
This is how the National Association of Evangelicals describes the term "evangelical" --

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Evangelical Christians are people of faith. Our diversity ranges across geography, race, politics, education and economics. In the words of the Bible, we are among “a great multitude that no one could count, from every nation, tribe, people and language” (Revelation 7:9).

We identify ourselves by our spiritual convictions in the authority of the Bible, salvation through Jesus Christ alone and living out our faith in everyday life, especially sharing the good news of Jesus with others. We share the historic Christian beliefs in God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. We believe Jesus died on the cross and was resurrected to life.

Many Christ-followers claim the name evangelical, because it is the Bible’s original word for good news. Others prefer to be called born again. Some choose Christian or avoid titles in favor of simple faith.

Because there are millions of us in the United States and far more of us in other countries around the world, there are subgroups identified by where we live, how we vote, the level of our education or even our local cultural expressions. Each has distinctive beliefs and practices that may be unfamiliar or uncomfortable to one another. Sometimes these subgroups or their leaders are identified as typical of all evangelicals even though there is no consensus, connection or communication between them.

What all evangelicals share in common does not require organizational connection, denominational affiliations or shared leadership. Our common bond is personal faith in Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord.

Throughout history and ongoing today is the compassion and care that evangelical Christians have for others. This has led to sending missionaries, founding colleges, building hospitals, feeding the hungry, seeking justice for the poor and serving as the agents of Jesus in a broken world. The variety of evangelicals and our many causes have led evangelicals to approaches that differ from one another and that even cause conflict — both with society at large and with other evangelicals. We have both succeeded and failed but we have not given up. We return to the teaching of the Bible and the leadership of Jesus in our quest to be faithful to our callings to love God, love our neighbors and share our faith.

Our identity is in our faith in the midst of our diversity."
------------------------------------------------------------------------

While I identify as evangelical, I certainly am not and have never been a Trump supporter. I was honestly at odds last election because neither major party's option seemed even remotely palatable to me.....a lying sociopathic thief or a misogynistic lecherous adulterous functional psychopath? I chose neither when I voted, though it was most likely an exercise in futility.

Unfortunately, I am in the same position as the OP. As a born-again believer who vehemently opposes politics in churches, concerts instead of worship, the Prosperity Gospel, and Word of Faith/Name it-Claim it teaching, I have found I have a seriously limited pool of churches to choose from. In fact, in the 3 years I've lived in Florida, I've yet to find a church I feel comfortable in. I was frankly disgusted at the number of evangelical preachers/pastors openly endorsing our current POTUS after doing only a fraction of the research I did on both major party's candidates. First off, I don't think any church has any right to openly endorse a specific candidate or direct their people how to vote. Providing information is okay, but standing in the pulpit on Sunday or any other worship day and saying people should vote one way or another is not cool. Voting is a matter of conscience and should be private. Just like our nation doesn't promote a specific belief system, our churches shouldn't endorse a specific political party or candidate.

I have just about given up on finding a church I feel comfortable in. Either the music gives me a migraine, the doctrine is so off-course it might as well be a lecture on landscaping, or they're trying to shove politics down my throat.....so for now, I choose to do my worshipping at home where I can avoid the sheeple who think that DT is God's gift to America (and that scares the hell out of me!).....

I hope the OP can find a church home that fits them.
It must be very hard for you, as an Evangelical Christian, to find a church where you are comfortable.

I am aware that not ALL Evangelicals support Trump. I think 75% of them voted for him, the others did not. One of the most famous and well respected Evangelicals in America would have to be Jimmy Carter. I know that he does not support Trump.

I hope that you too, can find a suitable place to worship and to fellowship with others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2018, 11:08 AM

3,213 posts, read 3,146,102 times
Default Looking for..

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
I just wonder how it would have been received if someone a few years ago would have said I am looking for an anti Obama church.

Listening to christian (?) radio over the Obama years & concurrently conversing with my fundamentalist relatives gave me enough insight to know that anti-Obama stances were pretty much the default positions in evangelical congregations then.
It would not have really been necessary for someone to even ask for that in the Obama years, whereas now, in order to find an anti-Trump congregation, one really must ask & take care in their search, just as the op is doing in this thread.

Old 02-18-2019, 01:37 PM

16 posts, read 10,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDog View Post
Whatever happened to separation of church and state.
Thank you for your reply. A few greedy church leaders became political and the blind sheep followed them into the slaughterhouse, believing anything they are told, even if it defies all logic, reality, and the values so clearly stated in their Bibles.

Old 02-18-2019, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
A PCUSA church is probably worth considering. As a former PCUSA member, I can tell you most Presbyterians are highly educated. I don't personally know of a single highly educated person who supports trump, although I'm sure there are some.
Thank you for your reply! My background is Presbyterian yet the Presbyterian churches in my area appear to support Trump. One Presbyterian minister used a Bible verse taken out of context to support his views and advice to the church. I agree with Born in the Springs, that we shouldn't have to look on the fringes to find churches who do not support Trump - it should be the opposite. I'm writing this several months since my original post and wonder if any of the Evangelicals are wising-up since truth about Trump is being revealed - all of his legal issues and poor judgments, like lying to the press about his meeting with Putin being canceled, yet he met with him in secret without an American translator. The crazy Evangelicals say, "Nothing wrong with that." You are right, Trump supporters are not an intellectual group. I have come across a few people who share my views who are now avoiding church, as I am. We are amazed by how truth cannot be seen by these people. Where is the discernment?! How can they be so blind?!

Old 02-18-2019, 02:30 PM

4,131 posts, read 1,664,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin777 View Post
How can they be so blind?!
For false christs and false prophets will arise and perform great signs and wonders, so as to lead astray, if possible, even the elect. Matthew 24:24

Old 02-18-2019, 02:35 PM

5,472 posts, read 5,422,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Was a nice article in the NYTimes this week about how many churches in Canada are now repurposed into things like a cheese making facility, gym, brewpub and other uses.

Myself, I think people mostly go to church for the sense of community and an actual community they can rely on in time of need. Not all that different from guys joining gangs, a sense of belonging in a community.

I would like our churches repurposed into local neighborhood ethical debate societies where all manner of issues could be politely debated, and this could include cherry picking bible passages that actually teach life lessons. But I'd deep six all that fictional stuff about creationism, the flood, walking on water, rising from the dead, heaven, hell, god, satan, eternal whatever and just stick to the teachings of Jesus with an eye on walking the talk to create a strong community of noble human values because it's the right thing to do, and not some 'do it our way or burn forever' threatening nonsense.
So you want the Bible to conform to your belief system and not conform your belief system to the Bible; accept what's palatable to you and reject what isn't, a "spiritual buffet", so to speak. Vey convenient.

Old 02-18-2019, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Good luck according to the Bible every church should be anti trump...

Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God." Matthew 19:24
Thank you for your intelligent answers - I have remembered this one over the past few months since I first posted! I have found this epidemic of blindness and ignorance to be so disheartening that I have wanted to unplug from the church completely. I wonder how many church leaders realize that this is the effect their politics have had on the church? It has been very damaging. I haven't found a final place to land yet, but I have gathered a list of final places from which to choose from - I just need to decide where I can best serve, so now considering the needs of the congregations. I'm hoping that all of these truths that are unfolding about the POTUS will help too, yet I would like to find a place while he is still in office because I see this situation as a good screening tool to avoid crazies- if they can't see truth through this blatantly wrong situation, they are a blind and dumb group of people who I don't want to be associated with in any way. I am grateful for your supportive answers and the comments and votes from others on this thread!

Old 02-18-2019, 02:55 PM

10,298 posts, read 8,416,901 times
Episcopalian and Unitarian.

Old 02-18-2019, 05:57 PM

1,280 posts, read 378,165 times
Quote:
Hi,
I am new to COS and looking for a church. I have always voted a Republican, until this last election, and am shocked that most evangelicals support him. While I am very aware that a church cannot legally take a political position, I am looking for a place where I can worship with people who share my interpretation of the Bible. After seeing what has come from the woodwork under this administration, I doubt I will ever vote Republican again (and no, I am not liberal, so please don't hate on me with name-calling). Since most of my church friends support Trump, as well as the church, I am seeing a need to reform my choice of denomination, as well. I am open to visiting any mainstream church that believes in the Bible and loves God and others.
I'm like you. (I'll plan to vote GOP for Bill Weld, though.)

Try most anything in the Presbyterian Church (USA): pcusa.org has a directory of churches that you can look at to find one.

People in the pews are mixed (majority Republicans in some churches, majority Democrats in others) and the pastors are probably mostly Democrats. You won't hear politics at church, particularly from the pulpit, but rest assured that maybe 0.01% of the people in the PCUSA support Trump.

Old 02-18-2019, 06:37 PM

18,118 posts, read 22,535,028 times
Quote:
Thank you for your reply! My background is Presbyterian yet the Presbyterian churches in my area appear to support Trump. One Presbyterian minister used a Bible verse taken out of context to support his views and advice to the church. I agree with Born in the Springs, that we shouldn't have to look on the fringes to find churches who do not support Trump - it should be the opposite. I'm writing this several months since my original post and wonder if any of the Evangelicals are wising-up since truth about Trump is being revealed - all of his legal issues and poor judgments, like lying to the press about his meeting with Putin being canceled, yet he met with him in secret without an American translator. The crazy Evangelicals say, "Nothing wrong with that." You are right, Trump supporters are not an intellectual group. I have come across a few people who share my views who are now avoiding church, as I am. We are amazed by how truth cannot be seen by these people. Where is the discernment?! How can they be so blind?!
I agree. I have no idea how they can be so blind. The fact is, I think they are just excusing Trump, because he is willing to be their puppet and give lip service, and appoint SCOTUS judges that are anti-choice and anti-gay. So, they go through some pretty intricate mental gymnastics that allow them to accept Trump - and all of his decidedly decadent, un-Christian and worldly ways.

Trump's presidency has so upset me, that I too am avoiding church. I left my church because I did not feel that the pastor (who disliked Trump as much as I did) was calling Trump out on his behavior and being as vocal as I thought he should be, in response to Trump's history and on going racism, lies, confabulation, and statements.

Two churches in NYC have distanced themselves from Trump, even going as far as to say in once case, that he was a member who "never attended". The other issued a statement that while he had attended as a child with his parents, but has not been a regular congregant in over 60 years.

I really understand your predicament. I have gotten to the point where I need an activist church. By that, I do not mean a "political church", but a church that WILL stand up for certain causes - especially those that violate human rights, cage children, separate them from their parents, destroy our environment, favor large corporations over people, and trample on the rights of our most vulnerable citizens.

To those who say that churches should not be political, the actions of Trump and the tenor of his speech is counter to everything I believe in as a Christian and as a moral person.
I am tired of the Christian Right making fun of "Social Justice Warriors" - Jesus stood up for issues of his day that dealt with Social Justice. The Gospel message is one of Social Justice.

Presbyterian Churches can run the gambit from Progressive to almost Fundamentalist, with many falling somewhere in-between or having members who are from both sides of the aisle.

I gave you a few suggestions in your city. Did you try any of them? A few looked very good to me.

I live in a smaller city with few options. I have come to the point that as long as the church sees what is going on with Trump, and is willing to preach, teach, and protest his policies, the denomination does not matter. I have widened my net to include basically all mainline Protestant churches who agree that there is a crisis in our country - and that it has NOTHING to do with asylum seeking immigrants.

Since there is no church like this in my city, I have decided to try churches that are a little further away. I am an hour away from Cleveland and there are SO MANY churches that I would be happy to attend. Next week, I am going to check out a church that is a little further than I like, but I am hoping is worth the trip.

OP, let me know about the churches that your try, and about your progress towards finding a church home.

There are times in history when Christians could not and were not silent about social justice issues. I see the current time, under the Trump regime as being one of those times.

Incidentally -there is a Presbyterian Church in Cleveland Heights that you would absolutely love. It's just a little too far from me, or it would be on my list. https://www.fhcpresb.org/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or