U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2018, 09:18 AM

2,668 posts, read 1,666,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
The Gazette is based out of Colorado Springs, so the self-congratulatory praise is to be expected. This is nothing more than the media and PR boosters holding hands together and molding realities and perceptions, with dollars signs in mind.

How about an objective and independent source to tout instead?
US News and World Report perhaps?
https://realestate.usnews.com/real-e...live-in-the-us

Thich is where the Gazette article grabbed its info. Like many polls though, it is still a somewhat subjective ranking based on their base criteria and depending in this criteria, will create alternate realities of what is best. Reading the US News list, you see some cities who have swung wildly in their rankings over the last couple of years, which seems odd to me. You would think the most desirable places will randomly interchange their positions within a 10% range of their closest competitors. Some on this list have made 50+ point or more moves in rankings.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2018, 11:50 AM

424 posts, read 176,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
The Gazette is based out of Colorado Springs, so the self-congratulatory praise is to be expected. This is nothing more than the media and PR boosters holding hands together and molding realities and perceptions, with dollars signs in mind.

How about an objective and independent source to tout instead?
The story is from US News and World Report. Says it right in the OP.

Old 07-31-2018, 07:44 PM

646 posts, read 340,114 times
What a bunch of negative Nancy’s. COS is a great place. Any place that’s nice will invite more people. If you’re against growth, you can either go someplace crappy like Detroit or someplace that literally cant grow much more like San Francisco.
If you think traffic is bad here, you don’t get out enough. Spend a weekend in L.A. then come back and appreciate traffic here.

Old 08-01-2018, 07:18 AM

3,786 posts, read 1,464,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDog View Post
What a bunch of negative Nancyís. COS is a great place. Any place thatís nice will invite more people. If youíre against growth, you can either go someplace crappy like Detroit or someplace that literally cant grow much more like San Francisco.
If you think traffic is bad here, you donít get out enough. Spend a weekend in L.A. then come back and appreciate traffic here.
I think alot of the people complaining about traffic moved here from small towns.

Old 08-01-2018, 07:31 AM

680 posts, read 406,059 times
growth is good and bad....obviously down side would be more traffic, more crime, more accidents and petty stuff.

the good...

well more communities! its easy to find people to ATV with now

more restaurants to open ( i love food)

more things on sale! The more people and the higher cost of living usually means cheaper goods such as clothing, merchandise, etc

and of course, property! I know it does not apply to everyone, but being a home owner, its nice seeing your house go way up. Though I most likely wont sell since I prefer monthly income.

i guess by the time I retire, I am hoping renting is way up so I can rent out my home and live anywhere I want in peace!

My mom said the same thing about Miami FL. Now renting out her home 2k a month and an apartment at 1.2k a month (plus 401k) she is able to go anywhere. I am having the same mentality about COS now

Old 08-01-2018, 08:41 AM

331 posts, read 163,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
I think alot of the people complaining about traffic moved here from small towns.
Or grew up here!

Old 08-01-2018, 08:48 AM

3,786 posts, read 1,464,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS79 View Post
Or grew up here!
I was born here

Old 08-01-2018, 10:43 AM

2,668 posts, read 1,666,689 times
I grew up here, so yes it is considerably more busy than it used to be. When smaller streets have traffic back up for 5-6 blocks compared to 5-6 cars in each direction like it did when I was a boy, yea, its gotten busier. But despite that, traffic does move, unless its for a mud slide on Highway 24, but that's a rather specialized situation. I can also recall when Academy Blvd was so busy that it got national media attention and had a song written about it, so to think it was always rosey in the past is not correct either.

Is Cos perfect, nope, and in hind-site I think there are plenty of things that many of us can say we think should have done differently, but the past is past. We just need to keep pushing forward and correct where we can.

Old 08-01-2018, 02:13 PM

1,245 posts, read 1,630,873 times
[quote]I think alot of the people complaining about traffic moved here from small towns.

I moved here from Austin TX where traffic congestion is 10x worse. It is the drivers here (most likely due to lack of enforcement) that continue to amaze me. Austin started getting this "best" kind of attention 10 years ago as if some mystical PR department was working behind the scenes. And it then became so expensive, that like a lot of other long timers there...we had to seek greener pastures somewhere else. Co Sp is behind the times on a lot of things but I see the wheels turning and am hopeful that it will become an even better city. It is growing on me.

Old 08-01-2018, 02:25 PM

583 posts, read 1,300,278 times
I've lived here for 13 years now and absolutely love it here. Before that, I've lived all over the world for 20+ years.

Sad to see so many people being so cynical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or