U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 08:34 AM

2,668 posts, read 1,668,301 times

Advertisements

I think its because we had a few over the top religious issues and figures that came out with the dawn of the internet age and mass viral communications that create a wave of publicity and fallout. All this noise promoted a few vocal people to rise up and try to align the local electorate who eventually figured out their true colors and dropped them. Thinking back, I can recall the big events being Will Perkins and the Amendment 2 issues, James Dobson and his from the mountain rhetoric, Ted Haggard and his homosexual scandal, Gordon Klingenschmidt and his asinine statements about rapists and abortion.

We had a couple of decades of intermittent circus style craziness with this crew. I suppose since the more traditional evangelists like Billy Graham and Oral Roberts had aged and went quiet in that time, someone else was bound to pick up the torch. Unfortunately, they seemed to come form here and the population outside of here has thought they were all home grown. Thus, we have a recent history of this association.

I don't doubt that in time it will pass. Co Spgs has always reinvented its self through its history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2018, 10:42 AM

1,630 posts, read 1,784,057 times
I stand refreshingly corrected. Thank you for straightening out my misconception of Co. Springs!

Old 08-17-2018, 12:53 PM

331 posts, read 163,698 times
The religious nuts moved up the pass to Woodland Park.

Old 08-17-2018, 08:04 PM

647 posts, read 340,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Its really a shame we have to keep debunking the myth of that the Springs is a hardcore religious town. Just goes to show how bad press can damage a reputation for years.
Interesting that I never heard about this before I moved here, and havenít experienced it since moving here.

Old 08-17-2018, 08:16 PM

1,245 posts, read 1,631,290 times
I was warned by my western slope relatives that Co Springs was a very conservative, religious place. I haven't found that to be true other than a handful of folks I have met here seem rather close-minded, ie not willing to consider any other viewpoint.

Old 08-18-2018, 10:19 AM

608 posts, read 319,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS79 View Post
The religious nuts moved up the pass to Woodland Park.
We keep seeing job postings for Andrew Wommack Ministries. Above all, must love Jesus!

Last edited by Mike from back east; 08-18-2018 at 10:26 AM.. Reason: Spell check struck again.

Old 08-18-2018, 10:26 AM

20,304 posts, read 37,790,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdefg567 View Post
We keep seeing job postings for Andrew Wommack Ministries. Above all, must love Jesus!
Andrew Wommack is the 'leader' of this 'college' and he is the one who is on record to say he likes that a certain nation in Africa passed a law to apply the death penalty to gay people. Swell guy.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-18-2018, 12:07 PM

5,005 posts, read 6,681,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Andrew Wommack is the 'leader' of this 'college' and he is the one who is on record to say he likes that a certain nation in Africa passed a law to apply the death penalty to gay people. Swell guy.
Just to be clear, though, Wommack doesn't represent the typical person in Woodland Park, either.

Old 08-18-2018, 12:41 PM

20,304 posts, read 37,790,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
Just to be clear, though, Wommack doesn't represent the typical person in Woodland Park, either.
Very true. But I wish he had gone elsewhere. Like the infamous Rev Ted, he too came from Texas (what the hell is in the water down there?). Wommack believes he can raise people from the dead and also do faith healing. IMO all he's doing is fleecing gullible people of which there are a lot and it pays damned well too. At least he took his nonsense up Ute Pass to Woodland Park and vacated the city of COLO SPGS.

Still, he's small potatoes and no one should avoid either locale because of him and his crowd.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-18-2018, 02:39 PM

924 posts, read 1,030,894 times
I wonder if the powers that be in Woodland Park are regretting their decision to allow his "college" campus? I'll bet there's a few. There were many WP residents against it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or