U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 05:59 PM

2 posts, read 578 times

Advertisements

Hay. I'm hoping to build a new home (asap of course ~ aren't we all) but I really want it to be stone. Not real big, but real rocks. I know it can be done and wonder how come the area doesn't have stone homes all over the place, especially in the areas outside of town as new homes are built.

I would be the first to volunteer to help anyone else wanting to build a stone and beam home. Anyone else out there? Seems like a wide open market. Most of what I see online says it's too expensive but we are in the ROCKIES. Plenty of rocks, right?

Anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2018, 07:53 PM

647 posts, read 340,571 times
Um.....why?

Old 08-07-2018, 09:46 PM

5,005 posts, read 6,681,120 times
You might go to the Parade of Homes and talk to the custom builders and see what they can do.

Old 08-08-2018, 07:16 AM

2,668 posts, read 1,668,301 times
Stones as in river rock, quarried rock, stacked slate, or something else?

I doubt anyone builds an home entirely out of stones these days. What most builders would suggest is they build a standard stick house with a stone facing. There are numerous imitation stone products out there that are lighter, cheaper, and easier to work with than real stone.

Old 08-08-2018, 09:05 AM

36 posts, read 9,157 times
It’s expensive because it’s labor intensive. Even if the rocks are free, it’s the cost of building the walls that’s prohibitive. That’s why all the new homes in the States are crappy beaver puke building code shacks; low quality but fast and cheap to build.

Old 08-08-2018, 12:41 PM

924 posts, read 1,030,894 times
The OP may be a New Englander, which might explain the interest in stone homes. They have their appeal, but the last poster is correct ... talented stone masons do not come cheap. I have a friend back east who has built some beautiful stone structures. Needless to say, he makes a good living.

Old 08-08-2018, 07:51 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,785 posts, read 37,451,783 times
You like Stone homes?

Go take a tour of nearby Glen Eyrie !!!
3820 North 30th Street
Colorado Springs, CO 80904

https://gleneyrie.org/tours/castle-tour/
https://www.google.com/search?q=Glen...w=1220&bih=798

Now... to build / have one built... Find a VERY good mentor and start with the garden shed / BBQ / Landscape walls (at the neighbors ). Hopefully you won't get your little bottom beat for dripping mortar on the stone face (hint... start on TOP!!!) or not trimming 'striking' the joints properly. Ouch, I got beat a LOT as a kid for such foolishness as fetching the wrong stone, or messing up the mortar by a single scoop (which I hardly could lift to the mixer). As I grew older and wiser... I would have an entire wall / project ripped down because something was out of place / slightly wrong... Thus.. do it RIGHT or do it over (and over, and over)

Fortunately, it is one of the skills we inherited and taught our kids as homeschoolers (They had to build their own homes in grade 8 & 9). We also really like using stone INSIDE the home, Tho our next home will be Rammed Earth. (very pretty / sand painting inside and out))

Other options... Go to Texas (Hill Country) and and hire a crew to come enjoy Colorado (August is a good time to LEAVE Texas. Maybe the crew would enjoy fishing / having Colorado summer recreation. )

This is not unusual or even very expensive (considering Colorado building costs).

Kevin can help you find a crew (and also sell you your stone!)
Hill Country Stone, Inc - Photo Gallery
Proabably 30% of the homes near our Texas place are 100% stone.

Our Colorado home had some wonderful stone and HUGE moss rock fireplaces in vaulted rooms.
We collected our own stone from this hillside (Masonville, CO) in an old army truck. (driving that was the EASY part, but VERY scary coming down the hill with a load!)
http://arkinsparkstone.com/gallery/
http://masonvillestone.com/

More stone quarries in Lyons, CO

I'm sure some near Colo Springs too.

My FIL had a brother in CoS who was a stone mason. (over 50 yrs ago...)

another idea... Buy the ex-home of a stone mason (have done that 3x). Great way to Inherit a nice home. My mom did that in NM and calls it her 'Colorado home'. All stone and natural wood interior.

A good friend in WA has a US Government Federal Contract to repair 'CCC' built historic stone National Park Lodges / Bridges stonework. That is a sweet deal (nice places to go to work!)

Worth your while to learn the trade (even better while you are young!)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 08-08-2018 at 08:05 PM..

Old 08-11-2018, 06:53 AM

2,864 posts, read 7,096,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerRock View Post
Hay. I'm hoping to build a new home (asap of course ~ aren't we all) but I really want it to be stone. Not real big, but real rocks. I know it can be done and wonder how come the area doesn't have stone homes all over the place, especially in the areas outside of town as new homes are built.

I would be the first to volunteer to help anyone else wanting to build a stone and beam home. Anyone else out there? Seems like a wide open market. Most of what I see online says it's too expensive but we are in the ROCKIES. Plenty of rocks, right?

Anyone?
I hear there's a guy named Jim Bishop that has experience building stone castl.......er, homes.

Old 08-12-2018, 11:16 AM

2,668 posts, read 1,668,301 times
Ya know, just because it is the ROCKIES doesn't mean we have easy access to the right kind of stones to build a house out of it. Pike Peak granite is downright unstable and I wouldn't want to live in a house built out of it. Other rock that is stable enough for construction has to be quarried, which is not easy, nor is it local any longer.

Old 08-23-2018, 07:28 AM

2 posts, read 578 times
Thank you, guys.

I built my own dry stack wall on my 1806 Ohio farm. It is definitely a labor of love but no matter what it is you love it's not work. I loved every minute of being outdoors and having to work. Certainly had to have help lifting some of the rocks.

Flat stones, for the one who asked which kind of rocks. Coming from Ohio, I've seen a lot of the KY stone fences (wow). Went to Ireland to see them before building my farm stone wall.

Going down the highway toward Penrose there are rock formations that appear to be perfect, flat stone, pale almost white... I'll keep after it

and totally correct, the one who said start with a BBG or shed. My first attempt will be a small horse shelter.

I have to start over, in Colorado. Would sure like to do that for a living, for as long as I was able. And I think that kind of work might keep someone "able" for a longer time than most jobs. It is possible to attach photos to this conversation? Would be nice to show progress

Ginger
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or